Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alcoholic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
firstly excuse the bad typing- i'm not well. I've just been to thedoctors and it's really scared me. i been drinking heavily for quite a while now; only in the evnings though. i have depression by the way and yes the two are linked (also when I was 17 i had a few probs with alcohol and went to a clinic for a month) anyway, ive been feeling really ill this last week, shaky, dizzy, out of it, stomach ache, loss of appetite, feeling sick so i went to the doctors and he basically told me ive become dependent on alcohol and these symptoms, as well as the anxiety i get in the afternoon when the alcohol wears off, are due to withdrawal as my body cant cope with no alcohol during the day. im really scared. he said i have to gradually try and cut down, but i will feel really bad for a while, i m a uni student, i got coursework intomorrow and loads of other work to do an i just cant do it. i cant sit still...i cant sleep. i just wish this had never happened. advice?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Alcoholic?
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    i m a uni student, i got coursework intomorrow and loads of other work to do an i just cant do it.

Go and talk to your tutor today, and then to your lecturers. Tell your tutor everything, they are there to help you, and then try and get an extention on your work.

Sorry I haven't really got any more advice, I'm sure your tutor will be able to help and give you some numbers etc. to contact.

Take Care
  • Options
    Re: Alcoholic?
    he said i have to gradually try and cut down, but i will feel really bad for a while
    Well, that's all you can do really. It's not going to help you with getting your work in on time, but if you're determined to get off of the alcohol then it should be something you should be able to ween yourself off within a few weeks - mind you, I'm no expert. I knew an ex alcoholic, and from what I gather that part isn't too bad. It's the keeping off it that's hard, especially when feeling down.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I dont know much about alcohol and withdrawing etc, but have you thought about contacting Alcohol Anonomous. They have meetings where you can exchange stories with other people who have been alcoholics, these are people know exactly what you are going through and how you are feeling. They have been where you are only now they are recovering alcoholics.
    You know there is a problem so the hardest step has been made by admitting you have a problem. The next step is gonna be hard and id be a liar if i said it was gonna be easy but you dont sound stupid you got a good head on your shoulders. So speak to the professionals, they can advise you on what you are gonna go through, they will give you lots of help and support.
    I also agree it would be a good idea speaking to your tutor, you dont have to go into every detail but let them know you have got problems at the moment and that might just bide you time with your coursework. If your tutor knows that you are having a hard time at the moment they should go out of their way to help you and maybe not pressurise you as much as to finishing your work.

The more you sit there and kinda dig your head in the ground will make you feel worse, if you think your not gonna be able to cope then chances are it will bring you down. Try some positive thinking, have more faith in yourself and hopefully things will start looking a bit brighter.

Good luck I hope you get the help :)
  • Options
    Pink,

Well done for going to the doctors, it's the first step in getting yourself better. I know it may seem scarey now, but you will get through this, you just need to have faith in yourself. Things will be hard at first, but will get better every day - you just need to be strong.

Even if it's just advice you're after, or an opportunity to talk, you'll find just getting the issue out into the open makes it easier to tackle. Call Drinkline (0800 917 82 82) or track down details of local services with our In Your Area search fuction.

If you haven't read them already, these articles from the site might be of interest.

help with drink problem

breaking free

Anxiety

depression

Good luck with it all, ,and remember if you want to to talk about it, there are plenty of people here who've plenty of time for you.

Take care,

Love Lu x
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I am coping a bit better now, I've been cutting down with help from my doc and I dont feel quite so shit during the day. I went to see my tutor and she was lovely, so thats not a problem at the moment.
    Becky, I was in AA when I was younger and I hated it, it was too much for me. I have got into contact with some alcohol advisory people in Nottingham and they sent me an info pack; I'll phone up for an appointement.
    Thanks everyone, i just needed some kind of encouragement :)
  • Options
    i just needed some kind of encouragement :)

If your feeling a bit down at any time then come back here and post, I think sometimes it helps by just getting a couple of things off your chest. I know sometimes it helps me if im just rambling about anything (like im doing now), but you get the gist of what I mean :)

I think your going about things the right way, you are getting the info from people who know where our coming from, you have admitted theres a problem and really you have taken the hardest steps and although you may have days where your feeling shit you will be able to contact the alcohol advisory people who are gonna play a vital part in helping you cope.

good luck and seriously well done, its very hard to come clean and admit you have a problem :)