Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stretchmarks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my friend disagree.
One says stretchmarks come after weightgain, where the skin has troubles following and stretches. The other that the skin is like a balloon. And that after someone looses weight, the skin would have the same marks as a balloon which has been blown up and then released air.

Who's right?

Comments

• Options
    I think its as you gain weight, for whatever reason ie. you gain weight, or you're pregnant or whatever, although im not 100%

Id think of it like this; when a woman gets pregnant, she gains stretch marks throughout her pregnancy as her stomach and breasts expand. They dont appear after the baby has been born, although they may appear more obvious because the skin is 'baggy' shall we say.

does that make any sense at all?! I hope so, 'cause i sort of know what I mean...
  • Options
    you get stretchmarks when your body grows quicker than your skin can accomodate for and the lower layers of your skin tear.

like in the last part of pregnancy, or if you gain a lot of weight fast.

if you lose a lot of weight you just get baggy skin, which is also pretty ming.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    you get stretchmarks when your body grows quicker than your skin can accomodate for and the lower layers of your skin tear.

That's how I got most of my stretch marks. :( I was in a hurry to get tall. :D
  • Options
    I got stretchmarks when I stuffed myself stupid as a student and then lost the weight..leaving stretch marks that were caused by the rapid weight gain
  • Options
    Stretchmarks form as a result of both gaining weight and losing weight, so I guess you're both right!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    Stretchmarks form as a result of both gaining weight and losing weight, so I guess you're both right!

Ilora x

Seconded.
  • Options
    I think if you just lose weight quickly then the skin sags and wrinkles, but if you gain weight or height quickly (such as during adolescence or pregnancy) then you get stretch marks, where the lower layers of the skin tear leaving a read mark.

The balloon wrinkles if it releases air, but it would have white stretch marks on it if it was overfilled with air then emptied.
  • Options
    So, howdya get rid of them?
  • Options
    my bro has stretch marks on his legs where he used to have lotsa muscles from running and has lost them cos he stopped and does fencing now.
    so also muscle loss
  • Options
    you dnt they get rid of them selves. they fade in time.
  • Options
    I hope they fade in time! I've still got some left over from all the weight loss I did about 5 years ago. Mind you, it could just be that my skin, being older, and not as elastic anymore, will either take its time, or won't loose the marks. :( Most of you will be lucky enough to loose them as your skin is still very elastic.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    you dnt they get rid of them selves. they fade in time.

How long should it take? 'Cause I've had mine since I was about 9 (I was about 5'3 at that age) and they aren't disappeared yet :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Most of you will be lucky enough to loose them as your skin is still very elastic.

:no:

they fade over time to a silvery colour, but they never go away.

your skin has been irreperably torn and will not heal itself.

on the bright side, they don't look as bad as you imagine. i have some on my hips which i'm really paranoid about, but mr. kaffrin didn't even notice them until i pointed them out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Most of you will be lucky enough to loose them as your skin is still very elastic.

:no:

they fade over time to a silvery colour, but they never go away.

your skin has been irreperably torn and will not heal itself.

on the bright side, they don't look as bad as you imagine. i have some on my hips which i'm really paranoid about, but mr. kaffrin didn't even notice them until i pointed them out.
  • Options
    They`re caused by separation of the collagen fibres in the skin. You can`t get rid of them, but like everyone else said, they do fade. Predictably enough I have some after 5 pregnancies, but they don`t bother me, they`re quite faded now and I haven`t got any new ones from the last couple of babies.

Just be thankful if you don`t get anything like this (I know I am!)
  • Options
    OMG that's horrible! :eek:
  • Options
    They do go away? Good, how long does it take. I've heard that Vitamin E oil helps them go away, anyone know if that's true?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyNightingale
    They do go away? Good, how long does it take. I've heard that Vitamin E oil helps them go away, anyone know if that's true?

No, they don`t go away, yes, they fade to a pale silvery colour, yes, vitamin e oil is supposed to help as is mandarin oil although I can`t vouch for this personally.
  • Options
    Im not QUITE sure why I regret looking at that picture, but I do.

Horrid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    from the last couple of babies.

:lol::lol::lol: That made me laugh, i dnt know why it just did.
    you make it sound like you just popped to the shop and popped one out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    :lol::lol::lol: That made me laugh, i dnt know why it just did.
    you make it sound like you just popped to the shop and popped one out.

It`s beginning to feel that way!
  • Options
    I have some really lovely stretchmarks after having an 8lb 10oz baby. They are not as impressive as the ones in the pic though! Mine have faded to silver. They still look a bit freaky, like the deflated balloon some mentioned earlier. Someone suggested I make a feature out of them and get a tattoo artist to colour them in to make them look like fire leaping out my pants. Sexy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    Someone suggested I make a feature out of them and get a tattoo artist to colour them in to make them look like fire leaping out my pants. Sexy.

PMSL! :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    PMSL! :lol:

Seconded lmao.