Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

panic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when i am somewhere that i cant get up and walk away from eg: report at work once a day, driving lesson, on a train. that sort of thing my heart races and i start to sweat, my head spins and i breathe much faster.

is that a panic attack. and how can i stop it?

please help me cos i dread going to work because i know i have to sit for half an hour without being able to get up and walk around.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You mean you CAN'T get up and walk away from?

I think you need to learn to relax, try some deep breathing ... put the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth and breathe deeply through your nose, then slowly blow it out through your mouth keeping your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

Sounds like you are having a panic attack but what do you have to panic about?
    Originally posted by byny
    Sounds like you are having a panic attack but what do you have to panic about?

i think its kinda like i think 'oh shit i hope i dont get another attack today' and then cos im thinkin about it, it happens
    Maybe you should go see your GP. Or like, google for stuff about attacks to see if there are techniques you can use to avoid them.
    it sounds like a panic attack i suffer from them and anxiety in general. i would go and see your gp, they can be helpful and possibly give you meds for it. Try some deep breathing though it does help.
    Definitely sounds like a panic attack, the deep breathing tips are good. A tai chi teacher once taught me to concentrate on an object and deep breath for ten seconds, that helps.

Tai Chi and Yoga are very good for teaching relaxation techniques. You can also find courses on relaxation techniques, worth looking in your local press or google.
    The breathing is deffinately a good thing to try. also you can buy tapes/cds purely for relaxing you and just calm you down a bit.

You know what things affect you and the more you think about these things the worse it makes you feel. So now you know you are starting to panic even before you get to work.
    So with the breathing just take slow, deep breaths. Try to close your eyes (if its in a place where you can) and just take deep breaths inhale slowly and exhale slowly dont try and do it quick because that wont help you at all. Everything needs to be slow and calm. Try and block everything else out if you can and just focus totally on the breathing, then when you are feeling calm continue with what you are trying to do.

Another thing i find works is sit quietly, close your eyes and try to picture nice stuff. Just think about one thing say like the sea, and imagine waves, you can make yourself actually see the sea and it feels like you are there. Then just kinda go with the flow, hopefully it will relax you. I know what I just said sounds stupid but really it does work. Our Becks sometimes cant go to the toilet and she starts crying, the only way she can go is if im with her and I hold her hand and she starts breathing slowly, im actually taking deep breaths with her. then I tell her to close her eyes and imagine something nice so we always think about the sea so with her breathing and the sea it makes her forget that she cant go to the loo and hey presto she goes and thats because she is no longer tense like she was at first :D
    I used to have panic attacks all the time. Everyone said breathing, but some good ole fashioned anti anxiety drugs did the trick for me!!
    Yep, also have to agree that it sounds like a panic/anxiety attack. Have been suffering with anxiety and the attacks for a long time. On an anti-anxiety medication, but, sometimes, even while taking my meds for it, I still get really bad panic attacks and sometimes, when I am alone somewhere, and I can sit on the floor or something I will rock myself back and forth for a while and sometimes that helps, but if that doesn't do it all completely, then, if I am able to, I walk around a bit and such and usually, after a while, it pretty well ceases.

I would suggest the deep breathing, too, as well as yoga, which I do some, from time to time, walking around a bit, etc., etc.
    I used to get anxiety/panic attacks a few years ago. It was a patch in my life where I didn't feel good about myself, was fed up of my job, had next to no social life, was skint, and couldn't see much of a future for myself. I would mostly get them at night while lying awake in bed. My heart would race, my stomach would sink, and I'd often sweat too. Not pleasant. Things started to get better though once I'd decided to make a few changes in my life, and started doing something proactive for once.

I don't really know how to stop them. I didn't know there was anything that could help, such as medication, until now when reading this thread.
    It doesn't sound like it's the same thing causing anxiety in you though. Somehow you've got to get to the root of the problem. God knows what that is as there seem to be a few things that bring on the attacks.
    Anyway, you're not alone, and they do go away eventually (in my experience).

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Originally posted by LadyNightingale
    anxiety drugs

i was going to suggest them. x
    The following article from the site has several tips on how to cope with panic attacks. Give these ago, but if things haven't improved after a few weeks I'd go and see you GP.

Panic Attacks

The main thing is not to let get on top of you, this is something that you can deal with and it will get better. Also talking about it can be a big help, and we're always here to listen.

Take care,

Love Lu x
    Learn a poem or memorize a song, anything that takes your full focus. So when you're having an attack you can repeat it and it takes your focus away from whatever's caused you to panic. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. Repeating the alphabet backwards is a good example.
    thanx everyone. i'll try the things that have been suggested and see how it goes :)