Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job Position

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya!

I know this should probably be in JOBS or something but hey need a quick answer!

If I've been given a new role at work on a trial period, how long should I continue that role before I am either taken on or taken off the role?

I mean, isn't it like doing a new role for 3 months and you should have a Terms of reference or contract to reflect that?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    3 Months is kinda usual period most people would say - depends onthe job or the role and how fast paced things are.

But yeah - should get something in writing.
    The trial period will depend on what your management set it as. For jobs such as waitressing they will oftenmake you do 2 trial shifts before officially hiring you - office jobs often put you on 'probation' for 3 months - or sometimes 6! So it really depends on the type of job and company. You should speak to your new employee about this before you start - and yes, definitely get something in writing stating when the trial period will be finishing or you could be stuffed later on. You should also check that you will have some kind of formal appraisal at the end of this period to make your employment official.
    Right, now I'm moving this to the right forum!!
    Cheers blocky