Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Burst eardrum

My right ear developed an infection and I was prescribed a course of penicillin tablets. The infection was promptly cleared, but my hearing went from being muffled, now to being very quiet (but sharp). A second visit to the doctors concluded that the infection left a hole in the eardrum. The doctor said that it can take a month for it to grow back.

Does anyone else here have any experiences like this. I wear hearing aids, and I was told that it was alright to keep the one in the bad ear. Basically, has anyone here had eardrum perforations, and how long did it take to close up? Thanks. Its just very distressing having only half my hearing on the right-hand side.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah i have had a eardrum perforation i am having my second stage operation for it in one week.

they are fooking buggers kill like shit, did u get aloud of shit ozzing outa ya ear?
    Weird as it is, but my perforation doesn't hurt in the slightest. My level of hearing (or lack of) does vary though. It can be anything from almost nothing, up to about half of what I was able to hear. At the moment, it has sunk down to the almost-nothing stage.

My left ear was operated on in the early 90s because of a burst eardrum. The surgeon cut a bit of my face out and slotted it into my ear to form the new eardrum.

Mr Rude - What do you mean by the '2nd stage' of your operation? Best of luck next week. I hope my right ear isn't a repeat of my left ear.
    Oh my right ear has a perferated ear drum, its fucked badly! Ive had two ops on it for that, then skin grew over the ear drum so i cudnt hear out of it, they operated on that bout a year ok.. the skin grew back im now 90% deaf in my right ear tis sooo fuckin stupid and anoying as hell, but ive always had probs with my ears so guess dont bother me much no more. x
    Oooh nasty Tink. I'm really sorry to hear this. What was the proceedure when operating on your right ear?

When the surgeon did my left ear in 1992, he cut some muscle out of my face and sew it into my ear so that it behaved like an ear drum. The functionality - as in my hearing was pretty much restored, even though I am deaf and wear hearing aids for life. If anything, the drum is now stronger because it is made of a different material.

I couldn't bear to think that skin would grow over the drum. Where were you operated? I was based in Shropshire and had it done in Shrewsbury hospital (eyes, ears and throat).

They say that a perforated ear drum can grow back within a month. I really hope so because I've had over !20! operations in my life. Mainly to do with my eye(s) + a couple of plastic surgery ones.
    do you mean ears, nose and throat? thats more likely than ears eyes and throat? they call it the ENT department :)

i had a really bad perforated ear drum, had a myringoplastly in june where they cut along the crease at the back of the ear, remove some muscle from somewhere, pull the ear forward and make me a new ear drum :)
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    do you mean ears, nose and throat? thats more likely than ears eyes and throat? they call it the ENT department :)

i had a really bad perforated ear drum, had a myringoplastly in june where they cut along the crease at the back of the ear, remove some muscle from somewhere, pull the ear forward and make me a new ear drum :)

Wow i had that, got a nice scar behind my ear with a little dip in it. i gotta have it again soon :nervous:
    why again?
    its a lil diffrent its the stage to operation
    well, you cant of had the same as me then
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Oooh nasty Tink. I'm really sorry to hear this. What was the proceedure when operating on your right ear?

When the surgeon did my left ear in 1992, he cut some muscle out of my face and sew it into my ear so that it behaved like an ear drum. The functionality - as in my hearing was pretty much restored, even though I am deaf and wear hearing aids for life. If anything, the drum is now stronger because it is made of a different material.

I couldn't bear to think that skin would grow over the drum. Where were you operated? I was based in Shropshire and had it done in Shrewsbury hospital (eyes, ears and throat).

They say that a perforated ear drum can grow back within a month. I really hope so because I've had over !20! operations in my life. Mainly to do with my eye(s) + a couple of plastic surgery ones.

i dont know what they did tbh! it wasnt cutting skin out just gettin rid of it! but its grown back! ahhh wel. ive had ops on my eyes, ears and throat, tis shit! wowww over 20! i thought i was bad with nrly 10, fuck, poor u!