Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

smoking ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
yet another thread about smoking!?
have you seen the report in todays paper?
walking through most towns and cities in the uk you are breathing in enough crap to be equal to smoking 569 fags a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not going to bother packing in now ...whats the point.

Comments

• Options
    jeeez thats bad!
  • Options
    I haven't smoked for 2 weeks but I went out lastnight and this morning I felt like I'd smoked 20 of the foul things!

I bought Allen Carrs book about giving up a week ago to keep me on the straight and narrow and he's marvelous...I don't think I'll ever smoke again but i'll take my chances on the street and just hope I don't die from that!!
  • Options
    That must be a lie... in geog A-Level we were told that breathing in Mexico City's air, one of the most polluted cities in the world, was equivalent to smoking 60 cigs a day.

That figure is very very untrue... maybe it meant living in a city is equal to 569 a year?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I should probably just give in and start smoking properly..

I've passive smoked ALL my life, when your sat in the shopping centre trying to eat your boots's sandwich you have people blowing smoke at you.. so yeah.. whats the point.. someone give me a light

I know the feeling. My Mum and her bf smoke, my Dad smokes, nearly all my friends in Zurich smoke. You guys have it pretty easy here in terms of the number of smokers - by the end of a night out in Nottingham, my eyes don't sting nearly as badly as they do back home.

But that doesn't mean the cities don't stink.
  • Options
    and heres me surrounded by oxygen giving pine forrests and sea air!
  • Options
    Most of the people in my family smoke so ive been exposed to passive smoking o a regular basis for 21 years now...spose i must be close to getting cancer then eh..mind you under the current circumstances maybe thats a good thing.....Anyone know what the chances are of getting cancer from passive smoking if you've been exposed to it fro 21 years ??
    might as well do it myself seen as ive been exposed this length of time..Nothing to lose now...Im already near enough dead
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I haven't smoked for 2 weeks but I went out lastnight and this morning I felt like I'd smoked 20 of the foul things!

Nice 1, im dead chuffed for ya :D

maybe I need to choose a date and quit !!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

maybe I need to choose a date and quit !!!

Same mate, I tried two weeks ago and lasted until 8.15pm the same day. I dont even like smoking!! But its fucking hard to quit.

Maybe we should have a Site quit smoking forum...ooh...we could even write diaries!! We'd be famous!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle

But that doesn't mean the cities don't stink.

Correct.

I'm in Glasgow tomorrow, so I'll probably come back with a disease anyway :p

Never smoked, it doesn't appeal to me. I can't really anyway because of my little bruv's asthma.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    But its fucking hard to quit.

Tell me about it, to quit like you have to be in that right frame of mind, maybe if you try again you may sucseed ?
    One day I will, but at this moment in time I know I am not ready to stop.
  • Options
    someone give me a light

*chucks rachie a lighter*
  • Options
    *chucks rachie some ciggies*... malboro and regal i got, take ya pic
  • Options
    both please TiNK.. I'll smoke them all at once :lol:

ooh chain smokin.... i like it!
  • Options
    oooh why thankyou

now could someone pass me some malboro?

If you are going to fuck you lungs, do it properly

*passes the B&H Premium*
  • Options
    Marlboro really do the job.
  • Options
    I quit for 3 months from june until sept, was well chuffed with my self. My main motivation was that the doc said i had to stop for a while because smoking would interfere with some other stuff i had going on.

However, september comes, uni starts again and bang there we go :chin:. Basically I started again out of- get this- BOREDOM. From buying a 10 deck of B&H every few days I've climbed back up to the usual 10 a day.

Thing that fucks me up is that I can probably quit the fags, but I still fuel my nicotine addiction with other substances (which require tobacco) that just seem too appealling to give up.

At the end of the day you can have patches, gum etc but really all it takes is willpower. Its 10 times harder when the people surrounding you smoke constantly as well.
  • Options
    My dad quit smoking by just saying 'I won't have one today' every day. He relapsed sometimes but it worked. Maybe y'all should try it :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    That must be a lie... in geog A-Level we were told that breathing in Mexico City's air, one of the most polluted cities in the world, was equivalent to smoking 60 cigs a day.

That figure is very very untrue... maybe it meant living in a city is equal to 569 a year?
    Yeah, I thought that (quoted the same statistic in my AS Level Spanish oral!)

Either way it's scary stuff.
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    did anyone see the funny conservative bloke on room 101 this week?

he said to breath in the same amount of dangerous chemicals as 2 weeks, 10 hours a day of passive smoking you could barbeque sausages for hour an hour.....

a ban on bbq's in public places eh? sounds interesting.

guess big cities are dirrty dirrty places though, being knicknamed the 'big smoke' n all.... :shocking:
  • Options
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    Same mate, I tried two weeks ago and lasted until 8.15pm the same day. I dont even like smoking!! But its fucking hard to quit.

Maybe we should have a Site quit smoking forum...ooh...we could even write diaries!! We'd be famous!

Same here. Tried to quit about a month ago and last about a day and a half and started smoking again. So I'm back right were I started.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio

*passes the B&H Premium*

:yuck: how can u like them!? i went through a stage of them and just erghhh! *shudders*

im a good girl though i dont smoke anymore, unless something really gets me down or im mega stressed.
  • Options
    For all those ttrying to quit...Buy Allen Carrs book