Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Date Rape

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Theres been so much in the news and papers recently about how the date rape drug is more common that thought. Some shocking statistics have come back... Do you think that date rape drug has been slipped in drinks this commonly for a while but gone un-noticed, or do you think making the drug illegal has had an effect & meant its become even more common?

I know that a friend of mine was given another blokes drink which had something in it and being very stupid he took it, he was then very ill. A friend tasted it to check what my other friend has drunk out of concern and it and spat it right out saying it was spiked im beginning to think it could be the date rape drug as media calls it.

And date rape drug thats GHB right?

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Re: Date Rape
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    And date rape drug thats GHB right?

Not always. Rohypnol and sometimes Ket are used.

...just because they've done this survey and found that something like one in 20 drinks is spiked doesn;t mean to say that they're all being used to drug and rape women. I know a lot of people who take GHB and Ket like that in clubs - they just slip it into their water bottle so they can sip it every now and again.

Obviously the best advice is not to leave your drink anyware -always keep it at arms length!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, banning GHB will do NO good what so ever, at all.

This whole 'date-rape' situation regarding GHB is an import from the US, where GHB has been illegal and on par with heroin there for a few years now and to my knowledge it has made no impact on date-rape at all.

When I last read Home Office stats on the issue some 11 different drugs were used for this type of assult. How many of the others has been dragged through the press as 'evil'? Oh thats right, NONE.

I'm sorry, I dont want to belittle date-rape, it is a horrid crime, but it is not GHB's fault it is being used in this way. NO drug can be evil, it can not concieve morality.

Perhaps looking at rape as a mental health issue we could actualy try and solve the problem. A lot of rapists do it time and again and the reforming rate even if they go to prision is next to none.
    They should be sectioned in a secure hospital untill they are deemed cured.

There is also the issue of the reporting of these crimes, if you have too much to drink one night and make a mistake and sleep with a guy. Is it not possible that you deem it date-rape where as in the past it would be down to just poor judgement on your part?
    Also GHB is NOT a date-rape drug, it is a drug that has sometimes been used by some people for date-rape, there is a difference.

Saying it is a date-rape drug insinuates that it was designed for this purpose and that all its ever used for is this, which is a total and complete lie.
    i have a friend who got spiked once....i dont know what it was but it fucked her up good style, when i found her she was crumpled in a corner of the club, shirt open, skirt up.....nothin too bad happend (i mean, you girls can just tell if it has...u know what i mean)....i suspect the fuck touched her up some tho....the state she was in, im not suprised these rapist shits get away with it.......whatever drug is used....it needs to stop, theres not always someone there to help anyone whos been spiked...
    No-one is suggesting that date-rape isnt a nasty crime. But the focus on it is in many cases just plain untrue.

Heres the bbc news story about this;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/essex/3256331.stm

Amazing comments from the police;

"The tests showed the presence of "date-rape" drugs in the glasses but further testing was needed to identify the exact illicit substances present."

Well how do they know what drugs they are then?!

"He added that no-one whose glass had been tested had suffered any adverse effects from drugs."

Perhaps this would suggest that they were taking it on purpose.

It also doesnt mention whether or not there was alcohol in the glass too.
    Re: Re: Date Rape
    Originally posted by Skive
    Not always. Rohypnol

Thats the one we were taught about in schools.

Ive got no real reason for asking about date rape drugs but just curious as to what peoples views are, especially with all the media hype.
    Rohypnol isnt really prescribed in the UK any more so the chances of it being available are small, unless you import it, but as there are many drugs that do the same there is little point.
    Alcohol is the most common "date rape" drug.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Alcohol is the most common "date rape" drug.

How do you work that one out? Getting drunk and then sleeping with somebody you maybe wouldnt of if they hadnt got you completly bladdered isnt rape. Because you may be drunk but you still have your senses and you can still make decisions. Dosed up with rohypnol for example or GHB (as the heir to max factor dosed up his victims with) leaves you without the ability to say no.
    My mate (a lad) got spiked with something that I would describe as a "date-rape" drug. He got spiked by another lad. He was blathered, he was sat up on a high bar and he just rocked off and landed straight on his head. All his mouth was foaming and he couldn't walk, move, do anything he was just a proper mess. More than likely the alcohol he was drinking would have made the effects of the drug worse, but one minute he was pissed up talking to a guy, this guy bought him a drink and not long after he was foaming at the mouth. He woke up in the morning and couldn't remember shit about the night.

I don't know what this guy planned to achieve by doing it to him. We all took the piss in the morning saying he'd being bummed and stuff but if he had actually being raped it wouldn't have being funny.

I think it is sick really and with all the news at the moment I proper worry for my GF. We do are own thing most of the time and I feel like a pest but I'm always warning her about it and telling her to be careful and stuff.
    lil-minx; As much as I am loath to admit it, I think I am with blagsta on this one. Or at least I dont think the 'date-rape' potencial of booze should be over looked.

I personally know two women who were taken advantage of when drunk, both are normally careful and such, but on these occations had way too much to drink and someone they thought was a friend took advantage.

You have to remember that most people who get raped do so by someone they know.
    Originally posted by bongbudda

I personally know two women who were taken advantage of when drunk, both are normally careful and such, but on these occations had way too much to drink and someone they thought was a friend took advantage.

I do feel for your friends, because i have been in exactly that situation, i was 15 at the time. But i dont consider that rape at all. I have been raped when i was 14, and when i think of the time when i was 15 its not rape to me at all. It doesnt carry the emotional scars, it feels entirely different. I just dont see that as rape, perhaps we have very different ideas of how we define rape.
    Rape is sex where you dont concent, simple as that. It doesnt matter who's doing what to who, the simple matter is one of concent.

If you dont know that the partner your with wants to have sex, then its rape. What other definition could there be?
    To me, rape is when youre forced to ahve sex because youre powerless to refuse, either overpowered by physical strength, fear or because you cant say no because of the state your in (as with date rape) when youre drunk you are in no state to think straight and consider if it was what you want or not want, you arent completly over powered, necessarily to the point where youre passed out unaware of whats going on, but you can still say no.

If youre drunk to the point where you physically cant say no then to me, yes thats rape. But from my experience, many people claim to have been raped when theyve been drunk not thinking straight and done something they normally wouldnt have. I dont see it as rape. But what were talking about really is a whole other matter! :)
    I see what you mean, the line between a bad choice and something nastier is, to some people a grey area.

In my opinion, either of the parties being drunk isnt an excuse. If you know that the other person has NOT concented then its rape. Also I personally take a very dim view of anyone who would sleep with anyone without knowing that they when totaly sober would want to sleep with them. To me that might not quite be rape but in a lot of cases its as good as.

Obviously though if a woman (for example) has concented when drunk then maybe its her fault if she changes her mind. But this heavily depends on how drunk she is. And as I said really I think both parties (or more I suppose) should KNOW absolutely that the other wants to.

More than anything I just find the idea of going to a pub or whatever and then having crap fumbly sex with someone when your very drunk deeply unappealing. It just seems a fairly unpleasant thing to do.
    :yes: fair points.
    How do you work that one out? Getting drunk and then sleeping with somebody you maybe wouldnt of if they hadnt got you completly bladdered isnt rape. Because you may be drunk but you still have your senses and you can still make decisions. Dosed up with rohypnol for example or GHB (as the heir to max factor dosed up his victims with) leaves you without the ability to say no.

do some research, you'll see the stats back me up
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    do some research, you'll see the stats back me up

If im really honest, im not interested in finding out the statistics, i was really just curious as to peoples views on all this media hype and whether they think there is a problem, if its growing etc

And statistics should ALWAYS be taken with a bucket of salt, they are twisted and manipulated in every way possible.

Just as on BBC news they said something like 70% of glasses had traces of GHB in one nightclub on one night, they said this was as people were drugging others. That is very misleading, most of those glasses would have been from people using it recreationally. So, i dont take statistics too seriously. If ive learned anything at college its that any stat can be used to back up any claim, all it takes is manipulation. :)
    Thing is, that report said that 70% had drugs in, but they didn't know what those drugs were 'cos they hadn't analysed them. Some contradiction I feel. Plus, GHB tastes rank, so its kind of obvious if its in your drink, and rohypnol has a blue dye in and doesn't dissolve very well...
    Did they not i could have sworn they said GHB...

Exactly, thats why i wanted to know what people thought - whether there were more date rape or spiking cases going on, people were taking it recreationally or whether that its been this way for a while, media hype etc...

Because i find it hard to believe that theres more people being spiked, especially since the substances used are no longer freely legally available and so forth. I agree that there is spiking going on, my friends and i think our mate drank a drink with GHB in, but i do think a lot s media hype.
    I heard something on the news the other day about a straw thats been developed. It turns another colour if your drink has been spiked. Sounds like a good idea to me :)
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    I heard something on the news the other day about a straw thats been developed. It turns another colour if your drink has been spiked. Sounds like a good idea to me :)

its a good idea in theory but realistically how many people who are already pissed are going to remember to check?

if your not planning to get very drunk then it would be a good idea.
    I do feel for your friends, because i have been in exactly that situation, i was 15 at the time. But i dont consider that rape at all. I have been raped when i was 14, and when i think of the time when i was 15 its not rape to me at all. It doesnt carry the emotional scars, it feels entirely different. I just dont see that as rape, perhaps we have very different ideas of how we define rape.

:( really sorry to hear that huni.duno what to say really.but im givin you some of my 'im sorry' lovin.
    Originally posted by pussy_palace
    :( really sorry to hear that huni.duno what to say really.but im givin you some of my 'im sorry' lovin.

thank you hun, thats lovely i apreciate it :) im fine about it now though ive had a few years to stop feeling sorry for myself about it and see it all as a growing point. It happens, unfortunately, to more women than we think. Happens to a lot of girls :(
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers

Its a really good idea, BUT, would you be able to notice a colour change if youre in a dark rave, or a club with all those crazyness lights?! :chin:
    Its a really good idea, BUT, would you be able to notice a colour change if youre in a dark rave, or a club with all those crazyness lights?!

Probably not to be honest!! Hadn't thought about that one!!
    I think they may have to re-think the straw idea! :p
    thank you hun, thats lovely i apreciate it :) im fine about it now though ive had a few years to stop feeling sorry for myself about it and see it all as a growing point. It happens, unfortunately, to more women than we think. Happens to a lot of girls :(

your totally welcome. really glad to hear you got over it, because some people dont. so well glad to hear that. :) and i feel shit for all the girls/woman who go through it, cos it happens more than we think.
    Blagsta; I would have to disaggree with you there, GHB doesnt have a really strong taste, NaGHB, the most comon salt just basicaly tastes mildly salty. You could quite easily cover up the taste, expesialy in something like JD and coke.

However GBL has a foul taste that is nigh on impossible to cover up.

Also as for rohypnol with the purple dye, it depends on where the drug was bought, I've heard of black market imports of this and if you got it that way there probably wouldnt be the dye.