Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

under 18 credit card

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
dont know if this is in the right forum but i couldn't really think which other one i should post in. is anyone able to tell me ifc it is possible to get a credit/debit card (not SOLO card) if you're aged under 18? for example, i know that in america a parent/guardian can apply for the card and then co-sign it to a minor but does that is that situation possible in the UK? or if there is any other way to get one?

thanks in advance
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    i think you can have one with a parent..something like it's their account but you can have a card. i think my friend did that when she went on holiday. i might be wrong about that though.

as far as i know, you can't get a credit card till you're over 18. and i guess you have to have a job and stuff?
  • Options
    I've had a debit/SOLO card since I was 15, so it is possible, although my dad organised it for me.

But you can't get a credit card before you're 18, definitely.
  • Options
    You can be an additional cardholder on your parents. But got no chance of getting one until your over 18, and employed...or student!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The best you'll get for your own use only aged under would be a Switch card. Think HSBC do them to under 18's provided you earn over £250 monthly.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    The best you'll get for your own use only aged under would be a Switch card. Think HSBC do them to under 18's provided you earn over £250 monthly.

JsT is correct. Some banks will allow you to have a Switch card (which is different from a SOLO card in that it is accepted in more places and it is also a cheque g'tee card) as long as you earn over a certain amount. However, it is unlikely they will give you one if you are still at school or studying as they only tend to give them to people who are earning a full time wage.
  • Options
    i dont have a job but what if i had a guaranteed income from another account with a certain amount put in automatically if possible? or when i opened the account i put a large amount in equivalent to a year's work?
  • Options
    don't think they'd let you. I tried getting a switch card when I was 17 and they refused me even though my bank balance was £3.5k .
  • Options
    I think they're iffy about cfredit cards, and quite rightly so - they can cause quite a few problems if you're not careful!

However, I seem to remember a couple of my friends getting debt cards when they were 16, so I think that's possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skateside
    I think they're iffy about cfredit cards, and quite rightly so - they can cause quite a few problems if you're not careful!

Ineed, my mastercard is the cause of the majority of my terrible financial situation...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Meanstreak
    Ineed, my mastercard is the cause of the majority of my terrible financial situation...
    That's why I mainly use my debt card
  • Options
    You don't want a credit card mate, nothing but bad news.
    If you haven't got the money, then don't spend it. Simple as that.I've only ever used my switch card, I do have Mastercard but I've never used it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skateside
    That's why I mainly use my debt card

Ahh but when there is no debit left its the only choice....thats how I managed to clock up over £7,000 (£4,500 loan) for 1 year of uni....passed then left, I am an idiot.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Meanstreak
    Ahh but when there is no debit left its the only choice....thats how I managed to clock up over £7,000 (£4,500 loan) for 1 year of uni....passed then left, I am an idiot.
    ow