Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Here's the deal: I'm studying Psychology, Sociology, Economics and Business Studies at A-Level, but the workload is really getting on top of me, and I'm seriously considering dropping a subject to concentrate on three and (hopefully) get good grades in those.

I figured 2 A's and a B is better than 4 C's or D's.

But anyway, I really haven't got a clue what I want to go on and do at uni. I was thinking anthropology, but at the end of the day I think I'd go for something a bit more traditional and play it safe. I really don't know. So out of the four subjects I've listed, is there one that stick out at you as being the odd one out?

I really would like to drop one, but still have the courses necessary to choose what I want to do. I suppose I enjoy all the subjects roughly the same so I can't distinguish what to drop this way. :(

What would you do...? :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    don't do business and economics, I'd drop business to be honest.

Sod 4 a levels, all you need is 3 thus its pointless doing the extra work for them.
    Originally posted by Ynox
    don't do business and economics, I'd drop business to be honest.

Sod 4 a levels, all you need is 3 thus its pointless doing the extra work for them.

Why do you say that? Everyone I've spoken to have said that Business and Economics complement each other really well. Not saying you're wrong obviously.

And on that point, what is the entry requirement for most uni's? Do you need 4 A level results to get in certain uni's or can you get into practically any with 3? Now I highly doubt I'd be at Oxford/Cambridge so wouldn't be looking to go one of the elite.
    Um... i would say to drop either sociology or psych - not because i don't think they're both useful, but there's a huge workload for both of them. i did business and psych, and once you've got the theory down for business studies, it's pretty easy - and mainly case study based. Economics does complement it a lot, but to do two essay based subjects together will up your workload a lot.

Which one do you enjoy the least?

And no, practically nowhere asks for 4 - at the most you'll be asked for 3 A2's and 1 AS, which is very rare.

Are you doing your A2's or AS's?
    I think if I was going to be honest, I'd say that I'm least enjoying either Business or Sociology. Psychology I definitely don't want to drop, quite enjoying that. These are AS's, I think I might wait until I've had exams in Business and Economics in January, but I don't know.

To be truthful, I know fuck all about the working world. Are there even any jobs out there that require both business-related (Business, Economics) and theoretical (Sociology, Psychology) subjects?

I think I will more than likely drop a subject because if universities only require 3 A2's there's really not that much point doing a fourth. And I think I have a lot better chance passing 3 well than 4.

Argh I'm stuck. :crazyeyes
    Personally, I'd drop Business studies. Whilst it's complimented nicely with Eco, you'll find Eco more useful at this stage, and you can pick up the Business stuff later on. Psych and Soc and Economics all compliment each other, with elements of each crossing over.

As for Uni, you can do pretty much any Arts or Business subject you want with those subjects. Anthropolgy isn't necessarily a bad idea - maybe Anthropology with History or Economics - the demand for a course is relatively low, so it's likely to be easier to get in, and Joint Honours courses are a good way to spread your interests - personally, doing Joint Honours was the best decision I made regarding Uni, it stops you getting completely bored.
    *agrees with Turtle*
    Drop business studies. And don't worry, no university will ask for 4 A Level grades, they're all happy with 3, especially if the grades are better.
    I'd drop business, I did three years of it at uni and it was dull as fuck. The only reason I did it was because no other uni would let me in with 4 points.

But it was easy and I got lots of time off to do what I wanted so it was alright.

A word of advise, HND's are fantastic! I worked 11 hours a week, including ALL classes and passed with distinction! Ha HA! Then I went straight onto the third year of the degree and got a 2.1.
    Right I think I've decided on dropping Sociology, mainly because even though Business is boring as hell, I feel I will get a better result in that than I would Sociology, and I just don't 'click' with it.

Will it make any difference to the uni's if I have in an A Level in Business rather than Sociology, will it affect the range of uni'savailable to me? And will it make it harder to get a job at the end of the day? Or not make a difference?

:confused:
    Originally posted by z0ma
    Right I think I've decided on dropping Sociology, mainly because even though Business is boring as hell, I feel I will get a better result in that than I would Sociology, and I just don't 'click' with it.

Will it make any difference to the uni's if I have in an A Level in Business rather than Sociology, will it affect the range of uni'savailable to me? And will it make it harder to get a job at the end of the day? Or not make a difference?

:confused:

Unless you're doing a science (and even then, not always) your A levels mean sod all to your career path. As for unis, for some subjects they might ask for 3 A level grades with a certain grade (or above) in a relevent subject (for example, if you want to take Sociology, they might ask for BCC where the B has to be Soc.

Hope the decision turns out to be the right one. :)