Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Aptitude tests

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
aaaargh!!! I need all your hints and tips. I'm doing the aptitude tests for the Civil Service next monday. They just sent me my invitation today. I am feeling so scared! There will be two tests, one verbal organisation test (putting sentences in the right order) and one data interpretation test (reading charts and graphs).

What can I do to practice?

And wish me luck!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know what to tell you about preparing for the tests, but I guess, the best I can do, is to just wish you luck on the tests.
    Just take ur time n read the questions carefully. read any info above any graphs or pics, as well as the actual question. it may sound stupid to remind u of this, but ive lost marks in exams from not doing what i just said...
    Good luck! keep calm n ull do fine!
    Oooo, what job are you going for in the Civil Service? I might work in the Foreign Office as a Diploman, the plan being to escape Britain to somewhere sunnier! Good luck with your application and the tests btw.
    Hiya, I'm a civil servant. The aptitude test is really easy, it's not as difficult as the practice test they send you. All the questions are explained on the exam paper and really not as scary as you think it will be. I'm not brainbox and they gave me a job!! And I'm still there six years later! Good luck, pm me if you got any questions!
    Hiya.. am a civil servant too! The best advice I can give you is to take your time with the questions and make sure you read all the information.
    Don't worry about finishing the test in the allocated time cos I know a few people that didn't finish all the test and still got jobs. Ithink they look more for a few right answers rather than you finishing the test and getting a fwe wrong..

Good Luck.. let us know how you get on! :)
    aptitude - n natural tendency or ability

You cant practice its like the IQ. Look on a search engine for tests to practice to get used to the stylee of question but you wont really be able to do and craming.

Bopz :)
    thank you everyone!

I had the test last Monday and it was really really hard - I don't mind admitting that. It's all done on the computer now and once you set off there's a clock that just keeps ticking down in the corner of the screen. The whole thing went on for about 4 hours and there were 3 tests with a 15 min break in between each one. Also, as I had woken up with the biggest headcold ever that morning, I was absolutely knackered by the end of it.

But anyway, I don't find out the results for another couple of weeks yet. But thanks to everyone who replied, esp the people who are actually in the CS.

I'm applying for the European Fast Stream by the way. But am also about to send off an application to GCHQ as a Linguist and am looking into the Foreign Office as well.

If anyone has any other suggestions of places I can apply to, please send them my way :)
    OMG!! Sounds horrible. When I started in the civil service, the aptitude test I did was for entering at clerical level, I guess you are looking to enter at a higher level than I did!! I think my test took about an hour and a half!! Fingers crossed for you!!