Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

teachers didn't help me squat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
all i learnt during 8-4 at school was how to laugh. its the sme at poxy UWE here.

a fortiori tuition fees are a farce

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go and get a job then!
    Re: teachers didn't help me squat
    Originally posted by TheSovereign
    all i learnt during 8-4 at school was how to laugh. its the sme at poxy UWE here.

a fortiori tuition fees are a farce
    did any of that make sense to anyone?
    It makes more sense if you read it backwards...
    ok..
    hehe fair enough

school was brilliant for me socially.. but academically i was a always on a backburner untill the last 6/7 weeks before my GCSEs and alevels where i'd sit up in my room and just read and learn textbooks.

i am finding the same here at Bristol UWE (a 2nd rate university in my opinion).

therefore - it follows (a fortiori) that paying for simplistic, incomplete and ineffective tuition is disgusting.

Take a Criminal law seminar, my contemporaries HA are struggling to even find the relevant statutory provision.- let alone any of the judicial interperation, issues, reform etc. I am paying out of my own pocket for this and its disgusting. I could sit at home with an internet connection, research evaluate and propose and analyse reform in 3 weeks and get a first class. all by myself.
    If you don't like it then leave?
    yeah..................and? So what? I mean is there a point here? [/bluntness]
    Are you just ranting? If you are, your at the wrong place mate.

Or do you want something done about the educational system, like some kind of change? I mean this is politics/debate yeah. What are you debating or what politics are you refering to?:eek2:
    Surely this relates more to the student forum.

Why don't you quit at the UWE and restart at a better uni, then?

Or, if that's a bit drastic...can you not ask someone for help?
    His point (I do believe) is that it is wrong to charge high tuition fees when there is no guarantee of quality and little you can do about it once you are there without facing a massive wate of money.

Also whereas it may be possible to learn the material yourself this does not lead to a qualifiaction of any kind which can directly help to gain employment etc.....
    It is very easy to knock what someone does for a living when you havent tried it yourself.

I was a teacher and it is the most demanding and exhausting job I have done. To compare I have also done washing up, worked on a building site, worked for an IT firm, landscape company, double glazing firm and the council. I am now a web designer.

It is idiots like you who have a go at everyone but dont take any responsibilty for anything yourself. If you are studying at uni surely it is because you want to be there and you actually have to <b>WORK</b> to get a degree.

Stop skiving off the system and get on with doing something constructive - or is that too hard for you?
    It is very easy to knock what someone does for a living when you havent tried it yourself.
    I can't cook to save my life, but at work I still slate the muck that our canteen puts out.

If someone takes it upon themselves to enter a professional career on which others rely, and then fails to do their job correctly, then 'TheSovereign" has all right to 'knock' them.

I know what it feels like to have teachers who don't have a clue. I taught myself through one of my A-levels because the 2 teachers I had for it were absolutely incompetent.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by astro

I was a teacher and it is the most demanding and exhausting job I have done. To compare I have also done washing up, worked on a building site, worked for an IT firm, landscape company, double glazing firm and the council. I am now a web designer.

It is idiots like you who have a go at everyone but dont take any responsibilty for anything yourself. If you are studying at uni surely it is because you want to be there and you actually have to <b>WORK</b> to get a degree.

Stop skiving off the system and get on with doing something constructive - or is that too hard for you?

:yes: i am training to be a teacher and it is bloody hard work. last week i taught a class all day for the first time and it is exhausting. if you dont like what you are doing then do something else :rolleyes:
    Ooh, tuition fees, my favourite topic.

If you cough up tuition fees, there's more money going into the education system. Combine this with a restructuring - say, getting rid of some of those bloody polytechs, directing more of the money into red-brick Uni's to let them expand - and aren't you likely to end up with a decent education system.

Sure, it may not benefit you directly, but at least your kids will be able to hold a decent job to fund your posh retirement home. But right now, there's no money in the system, which is why it's failing a huge number of people. Vicious circle, but somebody's got to break it.
    Originally posted by Turtle
    Ooh, tuition fees, my favourite topic.

If you cough up tuition fees, there's more money going into the education system. Combine this with a restructuring - say, getting rid of some of those bloody polytechs, directing more of the money into red-brick Uni's to let them expand - and aren't you likely to end up with a decent education system.

Sure, it may not benefit you directly, but at least your kids will be able to hold a decent job to fund your posh retirement home. But right now, there's no money in the system, which is why it's failing a huge number of people. Vicious circle, but somebody's got to break it.

And if the parents cannot afford tuition fees?
    Originally posted by bad seed
    And if the parents cannot afford tuition fees?

Then you look at who can and can't afford it. But *someone* is going to have to cough up the money from somewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these top-up fees are to be paid post-graduation, are they not?
    Originally posted by Rexer
    I know what it feels like to have teachers who don't have a clue.

I agree with that statement. My maths teacher was foreign, I could not understand a word he said. He taught me in senior school for 3 years so I left school getting a grade 4 which was pathetic.......not my fault but his. If I could have understood what he was talking about then I may have done better.
    I feel the school failed me by employing a foreign teacher who could not speak fluent english that we could understand.

Just for the record if you said 'Bingo' he thought you were swearing at him :lol:
    Beckyboo, surely having a foreign teacher is better than having no teacher at all?

It is harsh I know but the school has to deal with those that apply for the job, even if none of the applicants are to the best standard they have to hire someone.....

Combine this with a restructuring - say, getting rid of some of those bloody polytechs, directing more of the money into red-brick Uni's to let them expand - and aren't you likely to end up with a decent education system.

How would getting rid of some polytechnics benefit the education system?
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Beckyboo, surely having a foreign teacher is better than having no teacher at all?

Have you ever been in hospital and had a doctor you cannot understand and then had to ask the nurse what he said is wrong with you ? Well having a Teacher who you cannot understand is exactly the same. How was I supposed to learn anything when I could not understand him ? Im going to be totally honest with everyone here but I could not even do fractions, which disgusts me because I SHOULD have been able to do it, he taught me nothing, he was the reason why I did not learn anything in mathematics.
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    How would getting rid of some polytechnics benefit the education system?

Explained that badly.

The way Labour is trying to provide "university" education for 50% of the eligible population is to up the number of universities. This isn't a good thing, obviously, because among other things you have more institutions vying for government money. Many of these institutions are ex-polytechnics, and as such the intrinsic value of the degree you get from these places is not worth as much as from a traditional university.

What would be better off would be raising the value of the degree, reverting the polytechnics back to their original state as institutions of (mostly) vocational tertiary education. This raises the value of a university degree (thus ensuring that those who have to pay top-up fees post-graduation are more likely to find themselves in a job where they can earn enough to afford to do so), and directs more people into useful tertiary education.

This takes a lot of the financial strain of universities - less students, more money, that's them sorted. Universities should be places of academic learning, rather than vocational learning. Computing courses, for example, should be taught at a poly instead of a university, because it's a hands-on, specific skill. Much the same role post-A-level colleges provide today.

It's an idea for a restructed education system. It's not entirely thought through - I've got work to be getting on with tonight - and in reality, it's not entirely feasible - trying to turn people *away* from university and back to more-vocational (as opposed to purely academic) education is extremely unlikely. But universities at the moment are struggling, and no one is willing to do a damn thing about it.
    school was brilliant for me socially.. but academically i was a always on a backburner untill the last 6/7 weeks before my GCSEs and alevels where i'd sit up in my room and just read and learn textbooks.

When you say on a backburner, do you mean the teachers put you on one, or thats how you set it up for yourself?

At GCSE level, I coasted through, the academic side of things was on a backburner for me, and when I didnt come out with all A* and A grades, it was easier for me to blame the teachers. This year, so far ive worked my backside off (not literally, unfortunately) and Im getting the Grades to show it. So if you learnt out of text books, was this because you chose to put your social life first? If so, then criticising the teachers wont help, it was your fault not theirs.
    When i was at school at GCSE level i fucked that up fpr myslef by choosing to put my best friend at the time before school work. i know i messed up there and i really regret it. But at college a thought i would get a second chance to do well, so i worked my ass off, only to discover 2 months before the course was due to end that my teacher had been sack for shagging a student in my class but also he had given us the wrong work as he had been making up the course as he went along, so i had to do a years work in 2 months and i only JUST came out with a really crappy pass.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    but northumbria scored more highly with its politics department than durham did. it's got better teaching - it's got better lecturers. its sports are better than loughborough. people don't look at the actual university, they just see that its an ex-poly. it won the times best university thingy 3 years in a row. it should have an impressive reputation, but it doesn't, simply because it's an ex-poly.

As explained, it's not fully thought through. I know there are ex-poly's that are very good - Oxford Brooks springs to mind, but there's a host of others. And there are red-bricks that are relatively shocking. What I'm advocating is simply a way of distinguishing good tertiary education from bad and directing the funding thus, rather than trying to get *every* university up to a world-beating standard with funds that simply aren't there.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Have you ever been in hospital and had a doctor you cannot understand and then had to ask the nurse what he said is wrong with you ? Well having a Teacher who you cannot understand is exactly the same. How was I supposed to learn anything when I could not understand him ? Im going to be totally honest with everyone here but I could not even do fractions, which disgusts me because I SHOULD have been able to do it, he taught me nothing, he was the reason why I did not learn anything in mathematics.

Thats not the point, yes that teacher may not be of the highest satndard but what is relevant is what teaching you would have had otherwise, which in all probability is nothing, how is that better?
    Originally posted by TheSovereign
    .. but academically i was a always on a backburner untill the last 6/7 weeks before my GCSEs and alevels where i'd sit up in my room and just read and learn textbooks ............ therefore - it follows (a fortiori) that paying for simplistic, incomplete and ineffective tuition is disgusting.

Well, you can't blame the teachers if you were unable to apply yourself all year round. If you had done so, there'd have been no need to cram it all in at the end ... so more fool you.

The way Labour is trying to provide "university" education for 50% of the eligible population is to up the number of universities. This isn't a good thing, obviously, because among other things you have more institutions vying for government money. Many of these institutions are ex-polytechnics, and as such the intrinsic value of the degree you get from these places is not worth as much as from a traditional university.

What would be better off would be raising the value of the degree, reverting the polytechnics back to their original state as institutions of (mostly) vocational tertiary education. This raises the value of a university degree (thus ensuring that those who have to pay top-up fees post-graduation are more likely to find themselves in a job where they can earn enough to afford to do so), and directs more people into useful tertiary education.

This takes a lot of the financial strain of universities - less students, more money, that's them sorted. Universities should be places of academic learning, rather than vocational learning. Computing courses, for example, should be taught at a poly instead of a university, because it's a hands-on, specific skill. Much the same role post-A-level colleges provide today.

Why is a degree from an ex poly 'intrinsically' less valuable?

Why would having less people with degrees make tyhem more likely to get jobs? Employers can tell who is better amongst multiple candidates with degrees. This is justa definitional argument, not very good.........

What is 'useful' HE?

Why 'should' universities only teach academic courses?

You're not giving good backing for your points...........

So you take money away from ex-polys and give it to unis. So where does that leave ex-polys? They have to close and less people are educated, not good...........