Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nottingham uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi there

I have a place in Nottingham in 2004. Im not from england so i have no clue as to how nottingham is. Ive heard different things but not any info from actual students who go there. the course is economics.

I love to party, drink, smoke. im mainly into hip-hop and rnb. anyways, i was wonderin if anyone could tell me how the nightlife is in Nottingham and how the uni parties are etc. Coz i heard the uni parties are pretty lame and cheesy, like with themes and all that crap. i dont mind those, but i usually try to avoid those.

Heck, you can imagine how it is for me. I havent even been to england. ive lived in denmark for the past 11 years.

basically i wanna have shit loads of fun in university and i was wondering if anyone could tell me "THE TRUTH" about nottingham. Like, is it a big place? boring place? nice girls or what? im sorry im just extremely worried that it might turn out to be shitty.

i mean im gonna spend at least 3 years of my life there and im real curious, so please please help me out.

thank you,

sak
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heh. Same boat as you kiddo. Or at least, I was until I moved here.

And I gotta say, you've got nothing to worry about. The parties during Freshers Week (first week where you get to know everyone) are pretty cheesy, but it's all part of the fun. You don't take them too seriously, you get pissed and then you stop caring. The nightlife is *damn* good, there's three superclubs (2000+ people) plus a stupid number of smaller ones, there's almost always something on - weekends tend to be a bit droll, cos they always get more expensive, but even then you can just go on campus. There's 14 bars on campus, and the number in town itself is countless.

The girls here are super fine. Spent the first week picking my jaw up from the floor over and over again. Everyone's friendly as anything - I've met hundreds of people and not one of them hasn't been likeable, and it's so easy to literally talk to *anyone*.

You don't have to take your work too seriously, certainly not in the first year. The city isn't particularly expensive - you can get into town and back for £1, either on the bus or sharing a taxi.

Everything you could possibly want is here, can't recommend it highly enough. :) And I haven't met one person who hasn't said the same thing. Hope this assuages your fears.
    Originally posted by Turtle

The girls here are super fine.

Thankyou :D;)

I'm at Notts too and agree with everything Turtle said! I've had such a good time here :)

What course will you be doing?
    Yeah Nottingham's wicked. The city itself apparently had most clubs/pubs to the mile than any other city in the uk (am i right? i read it somewhere!) I'm loving it cos of all the rock/indie venues but like I said in the clubbing forum, there is a lot of hip hop/r and b around (too much IMO!) There's pretty much something for everyone and they seem to like students...most clubs/pubs have NUS offers. As I am myself a girl, I can't comment on whether girls are nice or not but there's a lot of sexy males! A piece of advice though...don't stay on campus all the time! It can be tempting cos if you're on the main campus (University Park) there are lots of bars and parties and it's a 15 min bus ride into the centre but the city is so amazing it's worth it. Turtle/NK what do u think of the ARk? Cos I'm not a fan...it's expensive!!! and tiny! and you have to pay to get in!
    I have no clue about all of this.

But you said you were Danish, and I was wondering how you got around with applying for an oversea university?
    My study counsellor is new in it, told me to look at a website, which doesn't explain how to apply for universities abroad, but rather how to get SU there.

Jacqueline - i PMed you.

now back to the topic of Nottingham. Anyone else got anything to say? please do. and dont be afraid to give me negative sides, as those are good too.

what are prices like? for goin out? drinkin? smokin weed?

and what are the people like? i mean of course there are like different people everywhere you go, but is there a trend? like a lot of stuck up spoiled brats? or a lot of geeky-i-hate-parties kinda peeps?

thanks
    hey, i think nottingham is fab! i went to the uni open day and also spent the night there wen we went to a chemistry conference wit school. There seems loads to do and apparently, loadsa students have said that its really good for clubbin n hanging out etc. Why not visit the website or saty there one night or summit?
    Also, how long did it take you to get an offer at nottingham? Ive applied but heard nowt so im startting to get a bit pesamistic about getting in now!??!!
    Originally posted by miss behavin
    hey, i think nottingham is fab! i went to the uni open day and also spent the night there wen we went to a chemistry conference wit school. There seems loads to do and apparently, loadsa students have said that its really good for clubbin n hanging out etc. Why not visit the website or saty there one night or summit?
    Also, how long did it take you to get an offer at nottingham? Ive applied but heard nowt so im startting to get a bit pesamistic about getting in now!??!!

I didn't get my offer until January. Some of my offers didn't come through until March, so you've no reason to start worrying.
    the best bar in nottingham is blatently dogma

and negatives, well the nottingham panthers ice hockey team are ******* rubbish
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    Turtle/NK what do u think of the ARk? Cos I'm not a fan...it's expensive!!! and tiny! and you have to pay to get in! [/B]

If you go earlier then you don't have to pay. I only really go there before heading into the city... bout 8/9 ish.

I don't drink so it's not expensive for me :D

It is pretty small considering how many peeps are living on campus, but take into account that each hall has a bar so they're probably not expecting a huge amount of people at the Ark (although it's been really crowded most nights so far...)
    Originally posted by miss behavinHow long did it take you to get an offer at nottingham? Ive applied but heard nowt so im startting to get a bit pesamistic about getting in now!??!!

I didn't get mine through until Christmas. I got two of my offers in October, three in November and then my Notts one was last during the Christmas holidays. A lot of people apply so most people who got an offer from Notts had to wait ages to hear from them...those who heard earlier than December generally weren't offered a place.
    Originally posted by Nastroman
    and negatives, well the nottingham panthers ice hockey team are ******* rubbish

And the trams aren't running yet...!

The Goose Fair at Nottingham is great :) (nothing to do with geese, promise)

If you come from another big city then it probably isn't any different, but the buses here run every 10 mins into the centre and run until early morning...and on Sundays. Completely the opposite of where I used to live where the last bus out of the city was at 3pm and they didn't run at all on Sundays.

Oooooh, and the Christmas lights have just been put up and they're really pretty.

And they had a hugely big fireworks show at Forest last night. Was free to get in and there was a live band and loads of fair rides as well as the fireworks and bonfire.

Can't think of anything bad to say!
    When are the trams going to be running?!

Also they seem slightly pointless IMO cos they only run where everything is within walking distance....
    Originally posted by PinkFeatherBoa
    When are the trams going to be running?!

Also they seem slightly pointless IMO cos they only run where everything is within walking distance....

Dunno when the first one's will be running.

They're going to build a line that goes through the uni in 2006 or something...found it on a website once...probably delayed until 2010 though, they've had delays on the one in the city centre already...
    The Ark's fantastic. Even if I did get kicked out for being too drunk. (To be fair, I *did* get out of my seat and immediatly fell into another table, knocking drinks everywhere.) It's not expensive at all - maybe 5/10p more than the hall bars, and a good bit cheaper than most of the places in town. And you only have to pay after 10, so go early.

That said, the Hall bars are the place to be. Nightingale's is brilliant, Ancaster's isn't bad. Lincoln's great, and apparently Lenton and Wortley is really good. (Big party there on Friday, shall check it out then.)

The trams are on their way, probably be fully up and running by middle of next year. Haven't checked out much about the project, but you're right, at the moment they do seem a tad pointless. Nottingham centre isn't all that big, and walking around it's easy enough. But one running through the uni would be fanastic. Better than those bloody buses which don't seem to come often enough.

There aren't that many negatives about the city. The cabs are cheap, the drinks are cheap. The weather's not brilliant, but it's England, whaddya want? There's about 60,000 students around the city, so there's never a shortage of people to meet and have a laugh with. The campus is maybe a little insular, but you're going to get that with any uni - definite sense of living in a bubble. I haven't left the campus in a week, come to think of it. :D
    The Ark's fantastic. Even if I did get kicked out for being too drunk. (To be fair, I *did* get out of my seat and immediatly fell into another table, knocking drinks everywhere.)

Lmao! Wish I'd been there for that!!!
    You mentioned smoking pot, I'd ask in the drugs section if you want to know about the situation there. But as with any big uni town there is bound to be loads of puff dealers.

My sister went to the nursing college there and loved it, its supposed to be a cool city.

But make sure you dont start saying 'but' with an R in it, like "I wanted to go to the shops burt someone phoned me."
    This has all been pretty useful for me too cos I'm going to Notthingham uni next year, on a gap year at the moment.
    I went up to visit and really liked it, but I did notice alot of stuck-up poncy types at the uni who'll seriously irritate me. But hopefully they'll be a complete mix of people.

Anyone got any advice on the best halls? I like my bathrooms so gonna try convince the parents to let me have an en-suite room, but the prices are pretty expensive.
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    This has all been pretty useful for me too cos I'm going to Notthingham uni next year, on a gap year at the moment.
    I went up to visit and really liked it, but I did notice alot of stuck-up poncy types at the uni who'll seriously irritate me. But hopefully they'll be a complete mix of people.

Anyone got any advice on the best halls? I like my bathrooms so gonna try convince the parents to let me have an en-suite room, but the prices are pretty expensive.

Having a shared bathroom saves you about £15 a week (forgotten the exact prices) and is just as good. Willoughby's probably the least-nice hall (and is where I am), but even here is perfectly good. Rutland "take it up the arse", so you'll want to be avoiding there, and Hugh Stewart are posh bastards with too much money. Aside from that, it'll depend what course you're doing. If it's a medicine or science course, you really don't want Willoughby, Ancaster, Nightingale, Cavendish or Flo Boot, cos they're at the opposite side of the campus to the science and medical stuff. But the campus isn't that big, even if there is a great big bloody hill in the middle of it, and you're unlikely to be unhappy in where you end up - it's all about the friends you make, really.

As for posh poncey type people, I promise to stay well out of your way.
    Having a shared bathroom saves you about £15 a week (forgotten the exact prices) and is just as good. Willoughby's probably the least-nice hall (and is where I am)

It doesn't look that bad from the outside...although I can see the bright green roof from my kitchen window....!

Rutland "take it up the arse", so you'll want to be avoiding there,

He means it used to be an all boys hall...during Fresher's week we learnt a lot of rather drunken songs all about how crap Rutland hall is, viz to the tune of When The Saints:

'Responsible' Week One Rep: Oh Rutland Hall!
    Us: Oh Rutland Hall!
    Rep: Is full of ****!
    Us: Is full of ****!
    All: Oh Rutland Hall is full of ****, it's full of ****, **** and more ****. Oh Rutland Hall is full of ****!

Haven't actually met anyone from Rutland Hall. They all pretend to be from Sherwood.

Hugh Stewart are posh bastards with too much money.

Is the best hall to go for though- it's right in the centre of campus and you won't have to crawl out of bed till 5 minutes before lectures (unless you want to go to breakfast...most people in halls don't seem to)

If it's a medicine or science course, you really don't want Willoughby, Ancaster, Nightingale, Cavendish or Flo Boot, cos they're at the opposite side of the campus to the science and medical stuff.

As is Broadgate.... it's a 40 minute walk to QMC most mornings for me. Think you said you're going to be doing psych too? You'll have lots of lectures in QMC. Don't be fooled into thinking you will actually have to use the psychology building - I only have my lab sessions in there and that's once every two weeks.

But the campus isn't that big, even if there is a great big bloody hill in the middle of it

Is a pointless hill...have to go up it just to come back down the other side... Now they've moved the shop there isn't really anything at the top of the hill...!

The cheapest accommodation by far is Broadgate, if you pay all in one go it's £2040 for the whole year. But, obviously, it's self catered. If you end up in a hall like Willoughby or Cavendish and you have lectures in QMC, there's not really enough time to go back for lunch and depending on when dinner is you may even miss that...in which case you save more money being in Broadgate. Complete luck whether you end up in a nice flat or not - Standard Plus flats cost more for slightly nicer furniture, a microwave, separate fridge and freezer, an iron and an ironing board... The extra £300 seems a bit too much to cover just that, but you do get a smaller flat (with 4 other people rather than 6 others).

I'm lucky, I'm in a standard plus flat without any of the standard plus features, so I only pay for a standard flat but have 4 people living with me. The seven people flats aren't very nice to be honest, but my flat's lovely :)

Try and avoid putting down Raleigh Park as an option. I had to as my third choice because I didnt want to go into halls. The flats are really really really nice, brand new and very safe, but people there are beginning to feel a bit detached from the uni as it's either a long walk or a bus journey to get onto campus.
    Originally posted by Ilson-Youth

(Turtle, which Clubs do you consider the Superclubs in nottingham? not since Renassiance moved out of Media have i considered Nottingham to have a Serious club, maybe with the exception of the bomb, but thats really not my scene)

Mode, Works and Palais. Media's pretty big too. The big commercial places full of "shit" music, tend to be best for a good night out. I know you'll diss them, but I find them easy fun.

.NK, Wibbly has a bright green roof? Dear me, had never noticed. And it looks like a sanatorium from the back, I swear.
    Haven't actually met anyone from Rutland Hall. They all pretend to be from Sherwood.
    So that explains it that. Might also explain why that girl didn't let me go back to her...*ahem*.

The girls here are super fine. Spent the first week picking my jaw up from the floor over and over again.

We must stop meeting like this! :P

.NK, Wibbly has a bright green roof?

Yup, it looks lovely. Promise.

At least you have playing fields. Ours were turned into a car park. And they're building on that to make more accommodation...

Also want to say 'hi' to Alice....! (Click on the link to my LJ if you don't know who I am yet...)
    Originally posted by aliiice
    We must stop meeting like this! :P

Cheeky. :D You were too busy with WeekOne reps to have noticed me, I'm sure...
    Like Ebb said, is a fantastic city.
    Yeah there are bad points, lots of violence on a Saturday night can put a dampener on things, but apart from that the City is great. Even if you're not a student like me you can still go out and have a good time.
    There is a feel of a capital city, but at the same time in a smaller, more personal way.
    I've only been to Nottingham once but I know people there and there seems to be a really big alternative scene if that's what you're into - plenty of gigs and alt/indie clubs. It's not the prettiest place but I'd say it's a good place to be a student.
    Manchester is better :p