Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

books v films

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
which do you prefer, personally i prefer books, they tell a story better and they are a challenge to read and are far more enjoyable wen it comes finishes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: books v films
    Originally posted by turlough
    which do you prefer, personally i prefer books, they tell a story better and they are a challenge to read and are far more enjoyable wen it comes finishes

Yep. Same here, for pretty much the same reasons.
    And they last longer :D
  • Options
    I enjoy books more, but I do enjoy a movie sometimes, but always like how a books leaves you in suspence up until you finish it and I think a book tells a better story then how some of the movies are made now of days.
  • Options
    I don't think it's an either or choice with the two because they're really very different.

A book's good for entertainment when you're travelling or in bed or whatever but sometimes it's also good to just be able to switch off with a film for a couple of hours, something you can't do with a book.
  • Options
    I think it is very difficult to say one's better than the other. It depends on the kind of mood you're in, and both keep your mind active (depending on the kind of book or film of course!) and both can be fun if they're right for you. So I think it makes sense to read both books and watch films. I suppose I've read more interesting and profound books than I've seen interesting and profound films though, so I'll go with books.
  • Options
    Originally posted by will haycock
    I think it is very difficult to say one's better than the other. It depends on the kind of mood you're in, and both keep your mind active (depending on the kind of book or film of course!) and both can be fun if they're right for you. So I think it makes sense to read both books and watch films. I suppose I've read more interesting and profound books than I've seen interesting and profound films though, so I'll go with books.

:yes: ill agree with that. it depends on what mood im in as to whether i watch a film or read a book, im quite happy doing either
  • Options
    I don't really think the two should be compared. Well actually, in the case of a book and a movie based on a book, the book is always better. Always (not that that anything is black and white :)

Like most of you I enjoy both books and films, but for very different reasons. First of all, I read mostly non fiction books for the purpose of gaining knowledge and staying informed (which some movies can do for you too). I do read fiction too though. I like how open fiction books can be because you get to use more of your imagination, but the author also does very much to direct your imagination (it's like the author is the playwright and the director and you are the cinematographer, thought thats not a perfect analogy). Also, as the written word is one of the oldest forms of communication and oldest art forms (probably second only to the visual arts), it's hard to go wrong there.

Films though, I enjoy for entirely different reasons. I like films precisely because rather than you being the one making the imaginative choices, you get to see what other peoples choices were that you probably never would have come up with yourself. Also, I respond to films in a mostly visual way, probably because I'm a visual artist. Sure, in books you can imagine your own visuals, but it's not a tangible visual; it's not sensory.

So basically, both are really cool and both are very worthy. Oh, and both worlds also contain a lot of BS you have to sift through to find the good stuff.
  • Options
    books books books.

maybe i'm biased, but i have never seen a film that is as good (to me) as some of the books i've read.

you have to work a little harder with books, but it's so much more rewarding.
  • Options
    I like both, for some films i like to watch it, for others i would prefer the book, but in most cases the book is usually better.
  • Options
    I quote

"I would rather read the worst ever book than watch the best ever movie"

OK not strictily true but I do prefer a book to movies. As already said books are more rewarding and you can look at things your own way in a book.

But then movies are a good 'get-away' if and when needed. :)