Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

fire alarms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
anyone had the fire alarms go off in their halls at an ungodly hour yet?

ours went off at 7am this morning. it was the beginning of year test though, so there were no fire drills. I'm really hoping that the fact I'm in 4th year/postgrad only halls this year will mean there are no more fire alarms for the rest of the year. my first year halls were really bad for it - about 3 a week at around 3am!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Happened all the time when my sis was in halls people just won't learn that fire detectors detect smoke & they are miffed why they keep on going off when they are smoking :D

.:Crispy:.
    I'm in a selfcatered flat and haven't actually seen or heard any fire alarms (I've been here three weeks already)

Have heard plenty of smoke alarms, but everyone just ignores them. I swear they go off if you even look at them.
    Had a 3rd one last night: 1 real one and 2 from people being stupid.

This was at 2:30am. Wasnt impressed!
    Someone in halls put a sock over their smoke detector hoping they could have a cigarette and not set it off.... :rolleyes:

Needless to say the alarms did go off, the whole building was evacuated and they got fined for putting a sock over the detector...:lol:
    Hehe, of all the things to put over it....

A sock. :lol:
    Originally posted by bad seed

And some other tosser decided to spray deodorant in to one :/
    Yep, same happened to us - at 730am. I was in the shower and had to stand outside shivering in my towel while everyone else in warm dressing gowns and duvets pointed and laughed. :rolleyes:
    Fire alarms .... are a joke; we had about 4 withing 3 hours at school. Everytime the bell for the start/end of a lesson went, the firebell rang. I swear i'm becoming ill, from standing around on windswept freezing fields (and my hair was ruined!)
    1.45am the other morning. :yeees: But, the firemen arrived very soon after :D
    ours has only gone off once, last week..at 2.30am. I had decided not to go out that night because I wanted to get some sleep! 2.15am in crashes my roommate after her night out...2.25am I just about drop back off to sleep, 2.30am it's fire alarm time. FUN!
    Only had an official practice at 7.15am last Wednesday (my day off!!!), but no others.

Quite surprising really...
    Originally posted by .NK
    I'm in a selfcatered flat and haven't actually seen or heard any fire alarms (I've been here three weeks already)

Have heard plenty of smoke alarms, but everyone just ignores them. I swear they go off if you even look at them.

Our flat was on fire when I got back today. :eek:

No fire alarms or smoke alarms went off because there were no batteries in the smoke alarms and we didn't know to set the fire alarms off manually.

We were really lucky that noone was hurt. Only our cooker and cupboards are damaged, which it looks like we are going to have to pay for, even though there was no food in the oven when the fire started and it wasn't even switched on at the wall! We don't know how it started. :(

Just wanted to let people know. Lots of people in halls have said how they don't like having so many fire drills but I wish we'd had one, we all just milled around wondering what to do and why no alarms were going off.
    had one the other morning, 6am, after a huge nite out.........was freezing cold, raining, I actually thought I was gonna pass out:eek:! To make it worse, it was only a drill, so no firemen *sob*! :eek2: And we failed it, so sometime in the near future we're gonna have a repeat performance....oh goody!:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Rocks
    Only had an official practice at 7.15am last Wednesday (my day off!!!), but no others.

Quite surprising really...

My God. Dale Hall must be a boring place ;)

We've now had 4, the latest one being because some ones radiator exploded and the steamy watery mess kept setting the alarms off. and that was the 3rd radiator this week to explode, and we have little heating or hot water. Joy.

And we had a departmental one on monday as well. That helped pass a bit of time during a 3 hour practical!
    Originally posted by faerielights
    My God. Dale Hall must be a boring place ;)

Nah, Dale has had a couple of alarms, but in the annexe we're good boys and girls ;)

The only night I've stayed in another hall there's been an alarm, at 6.30am. I had to spend the time standing outside trying to explain why I was in this girls' bedroom to all her blockmates! (totally innocent!)
    we've had about 5 fire alarms go off here in 1 month.

I have grown an immunity to fire alarms, I tend to just ignore them nowadays.
    We haven't had many, and the ones we have had are mainly tests. Wasn't impressed with the one at 8.30am.

I know that Turtle in Nottingham keeps on having loads though - and his mate set one off and got fined. Ah well.
    We've not had any middle of the night yet and when our's go off they're switched off after about 5 seconds and thats that. There's no getting up and leaving the building or owt. I can't complain about that this time thankfully. But past halls I've been in we had 4 in a night at times and there was seldom a night it didn't go off. But they were way too sensative there...spray deodrant underneath them and they went off. :mad:
    We had a fire alarm go off at about 3am. Luckily our floor in halls were still up watching videos (Dracula I think it was that night).

It was the Egyptians on the floor above smoking that set it off - they did it two or three times a term (set the alarm off) - and nothing got done about it.

Did get to see a girl I really fancied at the fire point though. She looked a bit rough after being got out of bed. Didn't fancy her so much after that....
    The fire alarms didn't go off much apart from the time an actual flat was gutted by fire. The other time it happened I was mid shag with my then gf, you just couldn't time it any better!!! :mad: :mad: We were both not very happy.
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    We haven't had many, and the ones we have had are mainly tests. Wasn't impressed with the one at 8.30am.

I know that Turtle in Nottingham keeps on having loads though - and his mate set one off and got fined. Ah well.

To be fair, we *did* encourage him! (Well, told him that it'd be ok to spray deodorant into it.)

We get them about once or twice a week. I tend to take my time, finish whatever I'm doing then dawdle downstairs. I've got a fire escape right next to me, so I feel reasonably safe.