Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

ok, so i have a problem.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, we have builders in, and they're doing stuff in the cellar.

the left earlier, telling me to leave it an hour and then lock the windows down there, cause they'd left them wide open.

i've just been down, and while the new one locked dead easily, the old window will not close. because it's old and wooden, and has been at ground level for years and years, it's swollen up, and will not fit back in the frame. i've pushed and pushed, but i don't want to kick it, cause i think my foot will just go straight through, and then we'll have no window at all.

i'm the only one in atm, and i don't know what to do.

help?

Comments

• Options
    Why don't you wait until Mr. Kaffrin or the builders come back? Or can it not wait?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    can u not just close it as far as it will go for the time being?

that's what i've done atm. but it'll just push open if anyone tries.

and doc, the builders aren't coming back today, mr. kaffrin won't be back til 9 ish, and my other housemates are at a funeral in norwich, so i don't know when they'll be back, and it would be rude to phone them and ask.... :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    that's what i've done atm. but it'll just push open if anyone tries.

and doc, the builders aren't coming back today, mr. kaffrin won't be back til 9 ish, and my other housemates are at a funeral in norwich, so i don't know when they'll be back, and it would be rude to phone them and ask.... :/

Have you got somethign sharp that you can cut bits of wood from the frame with?

Like find a chisel/sharp knife etc.
  • Options
    Surely it was swolen before they started so possibly was never shut anyway so as noone has broken in before I douobt they will now.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Surely it was swolen before they started so possibly was never shut anyway so as noone has broken in before I douobt they will now.

it used to be jammed in. they unjammed it, and now it will not re-jam.

and no, i have no sharp things.

my idea was to somehow padlock the two pieces together... but i don't have a padlock.... hmmm.
  • Options
    find a hammer and tap it in ...tap not whack. but don't ...tap the frame itself ...find a piece of wood you can hold against the frame ...as flat as possible ...and tap that. some of your taps will have to be heavy. hope that helps.

don't cut any wood away ...you'll make a mess of it and when the timber does shrink again you'll find it has big gaps and lets draughts in.
  • Options
    wot u do Kaffrin?
  • Options
    Close it as far as it'll go and then place some big heavy object in front of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Close it as far as it'll go and then place some big heavy object in front of it.
    the first fat passerby ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster

that's what i did :)

they left a big old wooden door in the yard, so i propped it in front.

my house backs onto a main road, so i doubt many people would try to get in anyway.