Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

IDS quickly....

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well because of the NI increase pretty much all the extra money going to schools conviently went straight back to the government.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Well because of the NI increase pretty much all the extra money going to schools conviently went straight back to the government.
    ahhh. sounds like two or three budgets back where certain disabled people got a staggering seven or eight quid a week rise ...then discovered they had to pay more toward council tax becuase they were now so well off!
    they ended up 60p a week worse off.
    I too would like to point that I acknowledge this government's achievements in the last 6 years. Minimum wage, devolution, the scrapping of Section 28, a commitment to investment in the NHS, a fairer tax system and many others.

But the reason this is rarely talked about is because it has been overshadowed by New Labour's right-wing measures: privatisation of the air traffic control, privatisation of the London Underground, PPP and PFI initiatives so greedy private businesses can lay their hands on the NHS and in schools.

Plus a love affair of the businessman, the arms trade and of some truly disgusting, revolting, brain-washing faith-based schools, broken promises about the renationalisation of the railways, a willing subordination to American foreign policy that has made Britain the laughing stock of the world, and above all (for me at least) the breach of every international law in the book by waging and illegal and completely unnecessary war of conquest under false pretenses that has cost the lives of many tens of thousands.

So if Blair goes down in history as a cheating, lying, treacherous right-wing war criminal instead of the Labour leader who did most for equality and the working classes in this country for decades, he only has himself to blame for it.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I too would like to point that I acknowledge this government's achievements in the last 6 years. Minimum wage, devolution, the scrapping of Section 28, a commitment to investment in the NHS, a fairer tax system and many others.

But the reason this is rarely talked about is because it has been overshadowed by New Labour's right-wing measures: privatisation of the air traffic control, privatisation of the London Underground, PPP and PFI initiatives so greedy private businesses can lay their hands on the NHS and in schools.

Plus a love affair of the businessman, the arms trade and of some truly disgusting, revolting, brain-washing faith-based schools, broken promises about the renationalisation of the railways, a willing subordination to American foreign policy that has made Britain the laughing stock of the world, and above all (for me at least) the breach of every international law in the book by waging and illegal and completely unnecessary war of conquest under false pretenses that has cost the lives of many tens of thousands.

So if Blair goes down in history as a cheating, lying, treacherous right-wing war criminal instead of the Labour leader who did most for equality and the working classes in this country for decades, he only has himself to blame for it.
    point taken ...
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Welcome to the politics forum Godscop!

Maybe here I can get beyond trans-pennine rivalry :)
    Originally posted by godscop
    Maybe here I can get beyond trans-pennine rivalry :)

Please do... ;)

Originally posted by bongbudda

Yep, same thing happened to the NHS increase. 9% increase in funding, 7.4% increase in NI contribution means we actually ended up with F'all.

Of course, that 7.4% went to education, and their additional contribution went somewhere else...

The joys of Govt finance...