Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Poignant Reminder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know it's old but it's coming to that time of year again and hopefully it'll make the drink-drivers think again.

I went to a party,
And remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom
So I had a sprite instead.

I felt proud of myself,
The way you said I would,
That I didn't drink and drive,
Though some friends said I should.

I made a healthy choice,
And your advice to me was right,
The party finally ended,
And the kids drove out of sight.

I got into my car,
Sure to get home in one piece,
I never knew what was coming, Mom
Something I expected least.

Now I'm lying on the pavement,
And I hear the policeman say,
The kid that caused this wreck was drunk,
Mom, his voice seems far away.

My own blood's all around me,
As I try hard not to cry.
I can hear the paramedic say,
This girl is going to die.

I'm sure the guy had no idea,
While he was flying high,
Because he chose to drink and drive,
Now I would have to die.

So why do people do it, Mom
Knowing that it ruins lives?
And now the pain is cutting me,
Like a hundred stabbing knives.

Tell sister not to be afraid, Mom
Tell daddy to be brave,
And when I go to heaven,
Put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave.

Someone should have taught him,
That it's wrong to drink and drive.
Maybe if his parents had,
I'd still be alive.

My breath is getting shorter, Mom
I'm getting really scared.
These are my final moments,
And I'm so unprepared.

I wish that you could hold me Mom,
As I lie here and die.
I wish that I could say, "I love you, Mom!"
So I love you and good-bye.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    heavy ninja ...good one.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    heavy ninja ...good one.

No point pussy footing round the subject. Shoot the fuckers if you ask me *shrugs shoulders*
    thats really sad.

hopefully, its equally as effective.
    can i just say that i liked the message and i totally agree with it, but i thought the poem itself was actually pretty bad.
    Every time i read that poem, it makes me near to tears. I think everyone should be made to read that poem, as it expresses it so well. If everyone had to read that, i think a lot of people would think twice about getting behiond the wheel after having a few drinks... Though ur always gonna get the few stupid ones who think it wont matter, n that it wont happen to them...theyre the ones that cause the accidents
    Originally posted by Screwtape
    can i just say that i liked the message and i totally agree with it, but i thought the poem itself was actually pretty bad.

i dont know, its not poetry at its best ~ but it gets the point across so so well, i like it,
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    i dont know, its not poetry at its best ~ but it gets the point across so so well, i like it,
    The thing is, i'm not that anal about poetry at all in the normal scheme of things but i found that the little problems with this one detracted from the actual message.
    Originally posted by Screwtape

yes.

maybe it's my writer's brain, but i think it'd work more effectively as prose.

the other thing i have to say is that i think the kind of person to be moved by that is not the kind of person who'd drink and drive anyway....
    People who drink and drive are scum.
    i.. it is a very emotional poem, theat's for sure. i mean, I've got quite an active imagination and I could imagine the girl, short breathed and scared lying on the pavement at night time, with blood all around her. :(

Very sad poem, and well enough written I think to get the message across.
    personally, i found those THINK! tv adverts infinitely more effective than this poem. They really took you off guard because everything was fine and then suddenly *bang* this is real life, baby.

that poem just seemed to contrived and specifically trying to jerk at my heartstrings but unfortunately failing by not being given enough time for perfection.

I think it could have been good but it seems to me like a rushed job which fails to grab me.
    thats a chilling poem! drink drivers fuckin disgust me. you want to kill yourself put a bullet in your brain but putting others at risk of death and wrecking families lives is beyond forgiveness!
    does it matter wether or not it's 'good' poetry!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    does it matter wether or not it's 'good' poetry!
    no, it doesn't make any difference to the message that drink driving is bad, but it does make a difference to how that message is recieved.

if someone came up to me and said "yeah, you shouldn't drink and drive cos...uh...cos, it's well bad cos loadsa people die cos of it, yeah?" what they were saying would be perfectly true and an admirable sentiment, but they really wouldn't make me think about it, it just wouldn't make an impression upon me. it's the same with this poem, it doesn't feel well presented to me, in fact is seems kinda forced and i think that lessens its impact.

i still agree with what it's saying though
    granted its a good message, but somebody's really got to get a new poem out there... that one's just getting old and overused.
    i posted a link last year about drink driving with some pictures of a pretty young girl ...and then the deformed and mutilated face and hands she ended up living with cos of a drunk driver but i cant find it and can't remember what i titled the thread. that was very hard hitting.