Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wasting time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well, I couldn't think of a better subject for this thread as I have got no idea what my problem is or how to even start tackling it.

I have always had it easy in school, and pulled ridiculous grades compared to the effort I put into my studies. I have somehow always found the "school system" quite easy to see through and not put much work into it.

However, now that I am on my third year in college/high school (I never know what to call it :/) my grades are dropping and I am getting a bit panicky. That is however not because I am finding that things are getting harder, I am just somehow losing interest in everything I do. I just do not feel motivated to achieve anything, and yet I do know that I want to achieve something, I just got no idea what that is! I am not ambitious at all and even when I do something I enjoy there is no passion behind it, and that really haunts me. And then when I do well, what happens? I start feeling guilty because my friends didn't do as well! :mad: :mad: :mad: (Don't think that I don't want them to do well, I am just so mad at me for feeling guilty about getting high grades) I'm not even going to mention when I "accidentally" do worse simply because I don't want my friends to feel worse because I can do something they can't. :mad:

I nearly flunked in maths last year (scoring 40% when the 35% was the absolute minimum you could get) and swore to myself that it would change. Did it happen? Not at all. Do I care? I try to, but I just can't do it. :( And now it's happening all over again.

I do not know if any of you really understand what I am talking about but I am lost for any solutions. I just feel that right now I am wasting my time struggling to do something that I have got no desire to do, and yet I really want to do it (:eek2: can that possibly make sense?).

Right now I feel like a 100% quitter, but I do so want to change it. I don't want to break down and "not care" whenever I face a challenge.

Sorry for how long this is.. I am just so lost right now. :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im not sure what year your in? I'm guessing at year 11 or somewhere around there? If you are losing faith at why you go to school you can do one of two things

1) Go get yaself a Saturday job, after the novalty has worn off you will realise that you need to pass those exams unless you want to work there for ever,....

2) Drop out ONCE you have finnished your exams, go do something else, find out what intrests you....

I did the top choice, now im "studying" at uni!

Bopz
    I'm in year 13. Got this one and the next one left before I graduate from college. :)

I worked all summer long, and really started to miss school at the end. I have however thought about getting a job now to earn some money.

I honestly don't know what to do.. Although I guess the key would be to change hwo I spend my time.. like do homwork, go earlier to bed, pay more attention, and stop wasting so much time in front of the computer.. But the willpower to do so is nowhere near... :/

Ah.. I think I'll go do my homework. :p
    Re: Wasting time

Fáfnir VII, can I just say that I feel EXACTLY the same way as you do!
    Every single thing that you said in your initial post is the same as how I feel.

I also excelled at school, but showed little passion for studying in college. I am now at university doing a maths degree. I really want a degree, but it really doesn't seem like I do.

And also, whenever I do well at something, I do feel guilty and sorry for friends around me.

Basically what I'm trying to say is ........ I feel exactly the same as you!!!
    mmmm Maths degree, feel the pain. Feel those early mornings while everyone else stays in bed........ ohhh i hate doing maths lectures with a hangover. :crazyeyes

Bopz :)
    I've thought about attempting to talk to the studies councellor (what are they really called?) and see if they have got something to say. But I highly doubt that something other people will say is going to change how I feel so I am not feeling too optimistic.

Everything just seems so pointless, especially as I'm watching my grades drop dangerously much, and yet I don't really give a damn. :rolleyes:
    to be honest, its the totally opposite for me, from year 8-12 i did ok in my tests, now that i'm in year 13 i'm doing really good in my subjects and look forward in goin to class, in previous years i wud b in a bad mood if i had maths or science and that wud make me not want to study in subjects i like, now that i'm doin subjects i enjoy, i like studying and pay more attention in class
    Yeah, in a way I am doing what I want, and the first two years of going to this school were quite nice (despite the fact that I nearly flunked in maths last spring). I still enjoy it, but yet am finding it hard to be enthusiastic about anything going on in my life right now. It's kinda hard to explain, especially since I got no idea what's going on myself.. =|