Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are gay people discriminated against ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    It seems to me that Hot Rob is the kind of person who will make staements that go against what other epople are saying and never back them up, waste of space..............

What do I need to back up, Toadborg?

The purpose of this forum is to debate issues. If nobody is willing to "make staements that go against what other epople are saying” (as you so eloquently put it), then it wouldn’t be a debate. Even though the proctologist statement was simply meant as a joke (A guy I work with who is openly gay thought it was funny. He even added “Make sure you don’t have two hands on your shoulders during the exam”), for the sake of this debate, I will “back up” the statement:

As it is my personal opinion that homosexuality is morally wrong, it would make me extremely uncomfortable knowing my proctologist (if I had one) was gay. This issue deals with me (and me only) on a very personal level. It is my right to choose whom I want or don’t want to provide this or any other medical service to me for whatever reason. It’s my body, my life. If you don’t have a problem with him being gay, cheers to you. You go see him.

Your statement only serves to remind me that many people who post here will look for ANYTHING that can be even remotely deemed as not politically correct. Upon carefully dissecting a post (or only reading enough of it to form a negative opinion of its entire content), they immediately run for the pitch forks and torches and demand that the poster be dragged kicking and screaming to the village square to be burned at the stake. Invest in a sense of humor. People who get all bent out of shape over petty issues or purposely look for reasons to get pissed off have heart attacks at young ages.

Toadborg, it seems to me that you are the kind of person who thinks that someone is beneath you if they do not share your point of view. That, sir, is truly a waste of space.
  • Options
    Why would it make you feel uncomfortable? I'm curious, is it because you would expect some sort of sexual air to it?
  • Options
    I was having a go because you had benn asked to back up your position and had failed. I don't mind you saying something that goes against the grain, in fact I want you to, but you need to back it up, I am happy to see that you have (kind of)

Care to further elucidate on why you consider homosexuality to be 'morally wrong' so i can get a proper feel for the reasons behind your previous statements?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    How come they aren't allowed gay priests?
    I'm not hot on Catholic doctrine (priests being Catholic, obv.), but to be honest since priests are not allowed to have sexual relationships whether they are gay or straight (since they can't marry, and obviously the church believes in no sex before marriage).

However, the Church of England have just had a synod in Lambeth to debate gay bishops after the appointment of Gene Robinson as the first openly gay Anglican bishop in the States. Since homosexuality is condemned in the Bible as a sin, gay clergy have pretty well kept their sex lives to themselves - especially if they wanted to be promoted! So there have probably been countless gay bishops, but they were closeted and married or celibate.

So basically the Church have taken the decision that gay people are sinners and should not be allowed to lead a community if they are likely to teach that homosexuality is not sinful.

Do you follow me?

It's sad that the church have become so wrapped up in this and seem to have forgotten that their basic message is to follow God and all will be forgiven. I thought they were here to teach, not to condemn. :(

Edited to correct a typo and add this:

Guardian Unlimited : Special Reports - Gay Rights, which has a lot of info on the controversy over gay bishops.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    but on what basis?

becasue he is gay?

then you too should be fired under sex discrimination laws

edited to say that I have just realised that you are probably a client, not the employer.

And the last part makes the difference.

I may not agree with Hot Rob, because I don't feel uncomfortable around gay men, but that is his right.

BTW Would any bloke complain if a female doctor check your testicles? (assuming that you have gone with a related complaint that is...)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hot Rob
    As it is my personal opinion that homosexuality is morally wrong, ...

I'd also be interested in what moral template you refer to?
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    So basically the Church have taken the decision that gay people are sinners and should not be allowed to lead a community if they are likely to teach that homosexuality is not sinful.

It seems to me that the Church bans gay bishops because they believe that the Bible condemns gay practice - but as paedophilia isn't mentioned in the Bible, paedophile priests are ok? Puzzling.
  • Options
    As it is my personal opinion that homosexuality is morally wrong

Why, out of interest? How can people loving each other be "morally wrong"? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    :lol::lol::lol:

How come they aren't allowed gay priests?
    well priests wear frocks ...some of the gay blokes i know wouldn't half camp it up on a sunday sermon!
  • Options
    I'm OK with that, but he's still fired.
    Which pre-supposes that you are in a position to have him 'fired'. In actuality, you mean that you would ask to see a different doctor, or take your custom, and your unloveable prostate, to a different clinic. That remains your right, irrespective of the sexual inclination of your doctor. In this matter, your smallminded sensibilities are inviolable, and ever shall be so, regardless of what the anti-'PC' scaremongers will say.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Teagan
    It seems to me that the Church bans gay bishops because they believe that the Bible condemns gay practice - but as paedophilia isn't mentioned in the Bible, paedophile priests are ok? Puzzling.

true, but neither is the word homosexual/homosexuality in the original language it was written in, those words simply didn't exist back then. However the context of both is covered albeit in some places a little ambiguously.

I think what is importent is keeping the context and the overall message of the Bible in focus - that of love, forgivness, compassion, kindness, humility and so on. these are things that are/can be very difficult to do, whereas condemming someone for who they are becasue you don't like it is easy (and makes you feel superior etc - not a biblical teaching).

teachings on sexuality in the bible makes up relativley small amount of the overall message and is of minor significance. by contrast the debate in the church today is of major significance - talk about getting it all out of of balance
  • Options
    There is obviously also the issue that if your believe in Christ he said that we shouldnt judge people, we should leave that to God.

But then, there is the issue that, if most of the people in the church believe it to be wrong, who are we to tell them it isnt?
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    teachings on sexuality in the bible makes up relativley small amount of the overall message and is of minor significance. by contrast the debate in the church today is of major significance - talk about getting it all out of of balance
    Precisely. I mean, what difference does it make if the bishop's gay anyway?

Actually, coming back to Becky's original post, the Church really are a discriminating employer. You have to be closeted or straight to get a promotion. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ahh, but technicaly the church doesnt really employ them, they are technicaly an employee of God. It sounds wierd but its true.
  • Options
    Point taken. But the church decides who gets to be employed by God!