Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sopranos... need info please...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok guys, I don't watch Sopranos as well, but I need info on this series as well (as well as my previous Dawsons Creek info).

Whats it about? Is it comedy, action, drama...?
What kinda age-group is it aimed at?
Is it a girly show, or a unisex show?

And most importantly, is it any good?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Best of my knowledge:
    Set around mafia-type stuff in the US. DVD is rated 18 so it's an adult audience. Kinda black humour. Most people rave about it.
  • Options
    the main character is a nympho sorta 40 year old mob boss who see's a therapist. its set around his family, the mad mother(deceased), his distinctly normal wife etc

yea, its like black humour, makes for very funny watching

there'll be loads of info on it on the web
  • Options
    The Sopranos was the second on going series produced By HBO, its's a New Jersey set mafia drama. The show was originally created around the same time as Analyze This, although the creator of the show always dismissed the similarities as coincidence.

Essentially aimed at the same young male audience as HBO's previous original show OZ, the Sopranos was far less threatening allowing for a massive breakout success in the USA (include numerous Emmy awards until the West Wing started shoveling them all in)

The show's first season concentrated on three different aspects of the mob bosses life - his mental illness, his family problems and his mafia problems.

Sadly the show suffers in later years, trying to drag out the story for too long and also failing to really challenge the position of Tony Soprano as top dog in the show (Ray Liotta famously turned down the role of Tony's rival eventually played by Joey Pantolino because he realised that Tony would never be really challenged).

James Gandolfini has recieved much acclaim for his part in the show, he has recently demanded a huge wage for the fifth and supposedly final season. He is probably best know before the show as the hitman who Patrica Arquette kicks the shit out of in True Romance.

All in all the show has some great strengths, a counselling process that is explored in more depth than you would expect for an ongoing TV show, a tight family drama and some histerical moments (watch the gangsters do their favourite scenes from the Godfather for a great laugh).

It also had some terrible weaknesses, it was often filled with traditional filler episodes that stalled the plot and the overall treatment of mental health in the show veered towards the traditional cathartic cure for mental illness (sudden moment of revelation curing prolonged illness - all that crap).

Anyway these views should be considered as completely innacurate and based upon a half remembered thesis from a long time ago... so don't be quoting me in no essay. :)