Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

eyes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:crying: feel so low today. was at the hospital yesterday about my diabetic retinopathy and didnt come out feeling very positive. the doc says i might need an op and stuff. every time i go for treatment i secretly think that it will be the last time and that i wont need to go back.
i feel totally alone because noone can know how scarey it is cos its not them going through it which isnt their fault. my family are trying to understand.
ive got college work to do and i cant get my head round it and i just feel like giving up.
i feel so stressed. i dont know what im posting this for, just to get it out? for someone to give me advice or offer a miracle? i know im not dying but the thought of losing my sight scares the shit out of me!
guess im just having/needing a rant! :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Better out than in matey:)

.:Crispy:.
    Sorry got no advice for you abou your sight, but honestly someone somewhere will know exactly what you are going through.
    All you can do is take each day as it comes and be thankful that at this moment you can see. I know that may sound harsh of me and I am sorry, but really if there is a chance you will lose your sight then get to see stuff now, do it whilst your eyes are ok.

Have a better chat with your doctor and see exactly what the chances are of you losing your sight, will the op cure you (if you have to have one). Has everything been explained properly to you or are you worrying yourself unneccesary.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Sorry got no advice for you abou your sight, but honestly someone somewhere will know exactly what you are going through.
    All you can do is take each day as it comes and be thankful that at this moment you can see. I know that may sound harsh of me and I am sorry, but really if there is a chance you will lose your sight then get to see stuff now, do it whilst your eyes are ok.

Have a better chat with your doctor and see exactly what the chances are of you losing your sight, will the op cure you (if you have to have one). Has everything been explained properly to you or are you worrying yourself unneccesary.

its ok i wouldnt have advice on this subject either if i hadnt been going through it. i know im not the only one going through it but i dont know anyone that is that can relate.
    i try to take things as it comes and ive been ok until i went to the clinic yesterday. the thing that scares me most is having a child and not being able to see he or she grow up. actually everything about it scares me.
    nothing cures the retinopathy. it will never go away but they can try to control it and i know the docs are doing all they can. im so grateful i have access to the treatment and that i dont have to pay, i realise the cost of each laser session. on saying that my parents would sell the house if i had to pay.
    the doc has explained everything, he said that they can keep on with the laser treatment but it doesnt always stop the bleeding that can occur and the scarring which can detach the retina. he is just preparing me and fingers crossed i will retain my sight for a good while yet but like i sad before i always imagine going to the hospital and them saying its all good.
    im just feeling sorry for myself. thanks x
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Better out than in matey:)

.:Crispy:.

thanks, that made me laugh as my dad says that about farting!
    How's your blood levels?

I mean, if they're under control you have a much greater chance of being medically better all around.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    How's your blood levels?

I mean, if they're under control you have a much greater chance of being medically better all around.

they have been good over the past year after a very bad patch i had but the past coupkle of weeks they have been a bit erratic and ive been stressed and thataffects them. i have the diabetic clinic next week so ill have a chat to them.
    thing is i sorted out my levels real quick after the bad patch but i found out this can actually acelerate the progression of the retinopathy. cant win, eh?
    Hugs hun, I can sympathise with how stressed out you're feeling. I have arthritis and have just started uni, and having a bit of a nightmare if I'm honest. Socially I'm having a fantastic time, but finding it difficult taking notes and stuff. It's been making me feel really low, cos I find it so difficult to talk about it with people, like you said it's hard for people to understand. I talked to my personal tutor the other day and ended up bursting into tears, it was just such a relief to actually let someone know how I was feeling. Could you talk to someone at college, a tutor or something? Even if there's not much you actually need them to do, it's good for them to know the score and might make you feel better?
    I know what you mean about hoping it'll get better, every time I have an appointment I go in with all these hopes, and make myself believe it might happen, and consistently burst into tears when I come out because it never goes as I would lke it to!
    Don't know if this has been any help at all, but just wanted you to know you're not alone. Keep strong and don't be afraid to let people know how you're feeling. Tates xxx
    thanks tates, that was so nice. its good to know that people understand. im serious when i say that that was touching!
    still feeling low after thursday but thats life !