Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Last Time You Went To The Dentist ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How much did it cost you and what did you have Done?

And were they any good?

I haven't been for years, but last night I think a filling came out so I've got to find one .. didn't like the one I used to go to, but ones opened up just 5 minute walk from the house so considering giving them a go.

I find most Dentists are pretty stupid in their cummunication with the patient, like half of them will ask you a question whilst they still got their hand in your mouth and expect you to reply?? :eek2:

or they expect you to point out the troublesome tooth without the aid of havng a mirror so you can double check for yourself you've pointed out the right little bugger!!

I also got put off dentists a bit after meeting a bunch of trainee dentists on holiday and hearing their stories .. the first one being that what they get taught in dentist school is to leave something unfinished so that the pateint always returns for more work in the future.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    last time i went was last thursday. had a filling. had to give me an anaesthetic half way through because of the pain. then i reacted badly to the anaesthetic and subsequently passed out. heh. :( it really hurt.

was it good? yes. was it fun? no :(

and it was free cos im 16.
    I went last Thursday! :D

She had to put a filling into the cap I got some years ago after I broke a part of my adult-front teeth off because it was hollow inside or something. I got to watch Friends meanwhile so it was not bad at all. Kinda hard to laugh though with somebody rasping your teeth.

I love visiting my dentist. :) When I stare at the light above I get really calm and comfy. mmmmm.... I think I prefer that to watching DVD.

And I paid about £20. Would have cost me £60 if I was 18. :D
    Originally posted by BritJames

I pay 15 quid a month now for a private dentist. That means I pay nothing when i go to visit for a check up every couple of months. And I pay less for treatment because I pay the monthly subs.

would it not be cheaper to just pay as you go? is private that much better than NHS? -it only costs about £15 for a filling. and £9 for a checkup n clean.

just wonderin :)
    I went on Friday and it was free because I am 17.
    Havent been for 3 years, didnt cost me owt, had nowt done. Must register for a dentist here tho at some point. theres one 3 houses away from me so got no excuses now.
    I'm scared tho :crying:
    I find having work done to your teeth to be a very personal experience and most dentists I've been to don't take into account your feelings about the subject when they carry out work in your mouth.

For instance I had a new filling put in years ago in one of my back teeth, he drilled a hole in the middle and then looked at the corner of one of then and said oh that corner might break over time and without asking me took his drill and took the corner of the tooth off and then fillied in the centre of the tooth and around the corner. Which although very functional looks horrible, I'd have much rather he asked me and gave me a choice in the matter then just break off part of my tooth without asking.

If you could fill your own teeth I'd much ratehr do it myself then have someone else do it ... actually you can these days - you can get kits to fill your teeth yourself (meant to be used whilst on holiday when there's no dentist around)

Has anyone here got white fillings? I hear they aren't as strong as the silver ones.

I'm also considering having a Fishcer seal put on my teeth - which is a hard but clear coating which seals the teeth from the outside world soo the acid and bactria in your mouth can't eat away at the tooth - I had this done when I was about 14 or 15 and over time they wear down as you eat and chew.
    apparently the white fillings are only meant for very small cavaties because they arent as durable.
    went sometime last year, never had a filling or had any problems with my teeth :D
    I've beenm nearly every month for the past year because i had a brace in. Im now on a retainer and won't have to go for another 10 weeks :D
    Went to the dental hospital for free and had a wisdom tooth out, they were good, althought they did stitch my gum to the side of my cheek and it took longer than they said for it to stop hurting
    Im never away from the dentist coz of my brace
    I last went to the dentist in July I think, to get a retainer, and then a week before that I had my brace taken off. It was free because I'm 16, and my dentist is very good :) He's a private dentist, but we're on the NHS, but we see him anyway, I don't know why or how it works or anything, it's just always been like that *shrugs*

But yeah, he is very good, so I have no problem about going to the dentist at all. Unless he's on holiday and I need an emergency appointment, and I have to see a different dentist. Then I hate it *nod*
    Last time i went was about 18 months ago so i was about 16, so it was free. I had one filling done and me teeth polished i think :chin: Dont really remember!
    I last went for a checkup 4 years ago.

Can't remember much about it... i think he took a picture of my mouth with a new computer gizmo he had.
    Oh this reminds me .. many .. many years ago I went to the big London hospital that specilises in teeth - can't remember the name but it was because my brand new teeth were coing up with hole sin them ... anyway it was the most scarey place ever .. kids walking around with their heads in these cages hold their jaws together and stuff like that!!!
    My dentist is young and good looking and he flirts with me! :o I`ve never minded going to the dentist. I went earlier this month, had a polish and it cost me nothing cause I`m pregnant.
    The last time that I went to the dentist was on April 24 of this year to get a wisdom tooth pulled. It cost me $75 bucks for it. $15 for the x-ray and $60 for getting the tooth pulled.

Looks like I will be forking out another 75 bucks sometime again soon because I'm getting another one of my wisdom teeth are coming in.

Before that, it was years since I was to a dentist and probably wouldn't have gone unless I was in a lot of pain and needed the damn tooth pulled.
    Last went in about May time. Due back November. I don't have any problems with my teeth anymore. Paid about £25 i think. Can't get an NHS dentist round here, they're like gold dust as most of them cant take on anymore patients as they're already too busy.
    Originally posted by Carolina
    Last went in about May time. Due back November. I don't have any problems with my teeth anymore. Paid about £25 i think. Can't get an NHS dentist round here, they're like gold dust as most of them cant take on anymore patients as they're already too busy.

The one I wen to today is NHS BUT only things like silver fillings are covered by the NHS for £6 each - white ones are £45 each - I had two today!! Plus he did a tiny one for £15 and charged £15 for a clean up - whole thing in total took 15 minutes!!!

Having said that I reckon the whote fillings were worth it, not only do they look near invisable BUT they don't have to drill out all of your own tooth to anchor them in place unlike with the silver ones which have to be drilled in a lot.
    Originally posted by Miffy
    My dentist is young and good looking and he flirts with me! :o I`ve never minded going to the dentist. I went earlier this month, had a polish and it cost me nothing cause I`m pregnant.

How does being Pregnant = free dentistry??
    Ooo, i have a wetainer as well, which makes it wery hard to thpeak.... so I only wear it at night, and not to school where I can't eat otherwise! My orthodontist is an evil woman, and I practically lived at the ortho before my fixed brace got removed. Now I go back in January for a second and final retainer. My dentist who does checkups is a very nice South African lady... a lot of dentists seem to South African now I think!
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    How does being Pregnant = free dentistry??

Because the baby makes demands on your calcium, and hormone changes can affect your gums, both of which affect your teeth. There used to be an old saying that you lost a tooth for every baby. Fortunately that`s not remotely true in this day and age or I`d not have too many left now!! :D
    I havent been for about 6 months, Im due to go on tuesday. go every 6 months, and because Im 17 its all free :)
    I paid £9 there but later they sent me an invoice for more. I've decided not to pay it and just to ignore it.