Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Halls

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My brother and I are going to university (Glasgow) in a couple of years. The problem is, we really want to stay in halls, all the advantages (social life, etc.) seem to outweigh the disadvantages. But our parents want us to stay together in a flat, which would be much less enjoyable. How can I convince them to let us stay in halls? They have already arranged the flat and everything.

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't halls be a cheaper alternative anyway? You'll be an adult when you start the course, so where you live should be your choice.
  • Options
    Well, it is up to you. If you want to go ahead with halls then speak to your parents.
  • Options
    Just make sure they are clear you want to stay in halls, they will accuse you of being ungratefull etc blah blah but they will get over it. Don't let them push you into something and don't do it just because its what they want. Uni is about freedom or shit, and stuff. So push that boat out and do it.

Bopz
  • Options
    Re: Halls
    Originally posted by Liquid:MM
    My brother and I are going to university (Glasgow) in a couple of years. The problem is, we really want to stay in halls, all the advantages (social life, etc.) seem to outweigh the disadvantages. But our parents want us to stay together in a flat, which would be much less enjoyable. How can I convince them to let us stay in halls? They have already arranged the flat and everything.

Thanks

It makes it harder that they've already arranged the flat for you...!

Could you not try and explain it's a lot safer in halls - especially if they're on campus.

You'll probably be closer to the uni, library, lectures etc and as Neil said, it'd probably be cheaper for them.

Also, they wouldn't have to worry about you not eating properly or running out of money to buy food. (the main argument my parents tried to get me to go into halls...!)

I take it you're twins...? Could you try and explain to them that you don't want to be around each other all the time...?

Don't know if any of that will help! Best of luck :)
  • Options
    Let me get this straight.....

You are (hoping) to go to university and your parents have already arranged a flat for you.

Firstly wouldn't it be better for them to have waited until you actually get into a university before arranging a flat? What is circuamstances beyond your control stop you (both) going there? What a waste of time and money!!

Secondly, why have they done this a couple of years in advance? Again, seems like a waste of time and money to me!!
  • Options
    yeah i agree its pretty far in advance... they are just hoping we get in. Anyway, we'll talk to them about it.
  • Options
    Good luck :)
  • Options
    We talked to our mum about it. She said that although she could see her point, paying for rent is just money down the drain, but the flat would be an investment cos it should appreciate and they could sell it when we finish and make a profit (towards their pensions, etc.), and we wont have as big debts as we would if we stayed in halls. She says we are being ungrateful if we expect them to pay for halls, as we aren't happy with what they are providing us.
  • Options
    Not wishing to sound unkind, but what if you dont get in?
  • Options
    Hello, student loan = money for halls
    You will only get screwed if you have to pay a massive amount for tutition fees.

Why are they pushing you so hard? You might want to go to a differant university, might not even want to go to uni. Halls are well worth the cost and buying a house/flat is unlikly to be cheaper.

You shouldet have to do it because they want you to, even if they are your parents. It is not impossible to pay it all for yourself and then work over the summer to pay it off, thats my plan!

Bopz
  • Options
    they dont want us to leave uni with lots of debts (ie. student loans). That's just our mum we've talked to, im not looking forward to talking with my dad.
  • Options
    parents buying you a flat would be an amazing thing from your second year onwards - so much hassle avoided. but i do agree that in your first year you'd get so much out of living in halls. perhaps to could come to a compromise with them, that you'll live in the flat for the rest of your time at uni, but for first year you'd like to have the experience of staying in halls?

surely they could rent the flat out for a year?
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    parents buying you a flat would be an amazing thing from your second year onwards - so much hassle avoided. but i do agree that in your first year you'd get so much out of living in halls. perhaps to could come to a compromise with them, that you'll live in the flat for the rest of your time at uni, but for first year you'd like to have the experience of staying in halls?

surely they could rent the flat out for a year?

Yes, we discussed exactly that when we talked to our mum. She still thinks we are ungrateful and the rent will not be enough to pay for halls (yes, i know we could pay ourselves with a loan, but they dont want us to).
  • Options
    We talked to them both, and they said its fine, and they'll pay some of the rent. Thanks for all the advice!
  • Options
    That's really good to hear :) Glad they're offering to pay some of the rent too, that's very generous of them!
  • Options
    Just realised that you're from Scotland and going to a Scottish uni...so they don't have to pay tuition fees then? I guess paying some of your rent will make up for that :)
  • Options
    I would say it is your decision you are an adult now and they should see that. Tell your parents everything thats good about halls and leave out the bad or tell them the bad as well but how you are going to over come that. It is your right as an adult to do what you want right?