Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eating......Or lack of it

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know how to word this properly so im going to say it as it comes to me, sorry...

For the last few months maybe say the last 2/3 months, Ive just not been eating properly, there is no real reason why im not, sometimes and this is the case most of the time i just dont feel hungry anymore, other times, its because i feel the need to starve myself, and the thing is that everyone who knows me, has noticed this and keeps asking questions, to which i have no reply because i really dont know why im doing it.Im more of the medium build type person, yes i could do with losing a few extra pounds, hopefully all in good time, that was the point in joining the gym but anyway I always think of myself as fat, because i am, but i dont think this is any reason or has anything to do with my not eating properly but in truth i dont know :confused:
Does anyone have anything they can say to help or advice to give or just anything because it kinda struck me today that this is kinda a problem, because im not getting enough of anything into my body ie the recommended amount of vitamins and all that kinda stuff etc....It occurred to me today that maybe i should try to seek some help as to why im like this just now ?????

Is anyone else in this or a similar position or do you know someone who is???

( I started doing at a time when i felt depressed but ive change now and am a happier person, just thought i would add that)

Any and all help/advice etc welcome

Please dont just read this and not comment you never know you could just say something that helps

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you remind me a lot of my other half.

people always think that it's only girls that have problems with weight and food. but it's not.

the main thing you have to remember, is that food is just fuel. it's something that your body needs to function. you wouldn't try to drive a car with no petrol in, would you?

people like to think of food as a good thing, or a bad thing, where in reality, it's just a thing. something you do. something you need. like breathing.

another thing. it's been found in research that if you're not getting enough calories, certain things happen in your brain. you start to obsess about food. you start to think you're fat. you start to count calories, worry obsessively about the things you have eaten and how they'll affect your body.

try to eat lots of little meals. space them out over the day. a piece of toast here, a sandwich here, it all adds up.

if you really don't feel like you can eat, i'd see a doctor, cause you can do untold damage to yourself by starving.
    Originally posted by ~*STRESSED*~
    Really?

yup.

i didn't stop eating cause i thought i was fat. i didn't have any issues with my body (well, the size of it anyway) until i stopped eating. then suddenly i started to obsess about it.

someone did a study where they took a group of normal, healthy males, and put them on a starvation diet (900 calories a day) and they found the men suddenly started worrying about what they were eating, stashing food, obsessing about it, all the rest.

it's not just your body that needs food. your brain does too, and with not enough calories to power it, it goes a little bit mental.
    I never knew that. Thats probably why I obsess about food. I dont eat anything without checking nutritional values.

I think Kaffrin's advice is really good, about the good thing-bad thing. If you think that its just a thing, you may become indifferent to its thingyness, and then just eat.

That sounds useless. I know what I mean, just can't seem to explain it :(
    you sound like me using food as fuel only not really enjoying the stuff
    I dont look at the nutricional values etc never have, i dont think of food as "just a thing like breathing" then again i dont do the opposite of that either, I just dont feel hungry, or feel the need to starve myself and yes i know there is a danger in not eating
    Kind of always had an issue with food. Either half starve myself or binge and purge. Could never seem to eat normaly for some time now.
    rich seriously get eating again. You aren't fat at all, trust me i know
    its just your build
    i'll probably turn out the same...
    yeah , BUT i am fat I know i am Maybe it is my build, But i am still fat.....evemn if it is only a little bit...
    Originally posted by MySuffice21
    Kind of always had an issue with food. Either half starve myself or binge and purge. Could never seem to eat normaly for some time now.
    Me aswell.
    My mum was bulimic for about 10 years, I was the only one that knew, she didnt know I knew either. I kind of copied her style, I was fat, well I was chubby and I followed the trend. I can honestly say I got the idea of making myself sick as I heard her on a late night when I was supposed to be sleeping. I wonder if I had of been the same if she hadnt. Though the torments of not being thin would have drove me to something.
    I will always have a problem with my weight, whatever I am. Though I rarely action anything out anymore. Though im constantly, secretly looking at myself in every reflection, every mirror, looking at every girl to see if she's thinner than me and I know I wont get over this.
    I think there is some very good advice been given in the posts here and if it doesnt help, as someone has said, please go and see your docter. I let my problems fester away in my head for years and years and it's not very good for the soul. Please let us know how you get on,
    I'm sorry there wasnt any solid help here, just letting you know your not on your own, hope I helped in a small way.
    Thank you all :yes:

I'll just keep trying to eat what i can. The funny thing is that i have ibs and i usually eat the foods im not ment to and as of 2 weeks time im suppose to be stopping eating most of it, i do have will power and will use it, But then what on earth do i eat after that because i hate almost everything im suppose to eat So im lost need to keep checking up on the net to see me thinks.....

thanks again anyway
    Re: Eating......Or lack of it
    Originally posted by rich21
    ( I started doing at a time when i felt depressed but ive change now and am a happier person, just thought i would add that)

When people are depressed some do not eat. When I was depressed I never ate much at all. I would basically just drink tea and pick at stuff. I lost a lot of weight and i wasnt that big to start off with.
    When I wasnt eating I felt in control of something. Everything else in my life at that time I had no control over, I decided if and when I ate. Im a beleiver that some people do not eat for this same reason. You are the person who is in control with eating issues, people can tell you to eat but at the end of the day that final decision is with you, so really whatever anyone else says the end result is that when it comes to food its your decision alone wether to eat or not.......you are totally in control on this issue.
    I obviously at some point started feeling better within myself and gradually started eating. I started off by eating little amounts often, even if it was only a biscuit or half a slice of toast. Eventually i could face a full meal.
    I still suffer on and off with my eating pattern, some days I dont want to eat and yet other days I can stuff myself all day, I could quite easily manage a big meal at tea time then go out on the evening for another meal.
    Id just say take it one day at a time, try to eat small amounts often and hopefully you will get back to what you were like before.