Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

coughs.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how long is it normal to have a cough after you've been over the flu?

my housemate instructed me to go to the doctor, cause apparently i'm 'coughing like a pensioner' and i've been over the flu a couple of weeks. doesn't seem that bad to me.

anyway even if i've got a chest infection (get them all the time) he'll only give me antibiotics which i'll refuse to take, and nowt will change.

is there anything else that'll ease a chesty cough? (had cough medicine and sudafed. neither made the slightest difference).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: coughs.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    is there anything else that'll ease a chesty cough? (had cough medicine and sudafed. neither made the slightest difference).

My hubby swears by Covonia, its a bronichal cough syrup and when he has a chesty cough this is the best thing on the market, for him anyway. He has terrible chesty coughs and I got to agree its the only one that works for him.
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    is it hacking, or just uncomfortably tickly?

it's kinda both.

it's, um, productive, until i have coughed up whatever's gathered there, and then i can breathe clearly for a while and it's tickly, and then the goo re-forms, and the cycle begins again. it's annoying more than anything.

but i will try out your suggestions, if only to keep my housemates from killing me for endlessly coughing. thank you :)
    Originally posted by BritJames
    Also, antibiotics all the time can't be good for you - so probably best you don't take them everytime he gives them. Your body will slowly build up a wall against them and too much can effect your heart.

i don't take them at all :)

they make me feel sick, so i always ask if there's anything else i can do/have.

if not i take the prescription but don't get them.