Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Xmas/new yr jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know all the business recruit lots of extra staff over the xmas/new year period.

But is it worth shopping around for a job to see what the best hourly rate is or are they likely to be similar because lots of the shops etc are owned by the same comp so would offer the same rates in pay.

Also, anyone work at tesco? What hourly rate do they give. That'll probably be where i'll end up seeing as i've got a big 24hr tesco just 10 mins down the road from me.

.:Crispy:.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Perhaps it is worth "shopping around" for a better paid job, but don't take too long otherwise you're likely to miss the boat completely! Has your local Job Centre been advertising Xmas jobs? Last year, a few friends of mine applied through the Job Centre - you phone up / go in for an application form, fill it in (telling them what sort of place you want to work in, what hours you are available to work, etc), then they match you with some companies and then if they like the look of your application form you'll get invited in for interview. The average number of interviews my mates got was 4-5 - should give you plenty of choice (providing you impress them and they offer you a job!).

Never worked there myself, but I have heard Tesco's pays quite well - well above the minimum wage for students when I was at college (sorry, haven't checked your age). :)

Just another thought, hurry up and get applying! The ad for the Job Centre way of applying was in our local paper about a month ago!
    Re: Xmas/new yr jobs
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Also, anyone work at tesco? What hourly rate do they give. That'll probably be where i'll end up seeing as i've got a big 24hr tesco just 10 mins down the road from me
    Me :D

I think the starting rate is £4.65 but that couldnt be dependant on your age too. Tesco dont pay you for your breaks which is crap, Asda and I think Safeway do pay you for them so that might be something to consider.

If Tesco do employ you, it'll probably be for a 12 week contract but if you work like a bitch over the festive period, then they'll almost certainly take you on permanently (if thats what you want).
    AFAIK tescos is about 4.50 an hour.