Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sociology

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone here completed a degree in sociology? If so, did it open any doors for you? What are you doing now as a graduate? How do you feel about the pay?

Did you enjoy the degree? What sorts of things did you study?

If you are currently studying Sociology, how are you finding it? What are you planning to do for a living after you graduate?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm thinking of doing it at Uni but I am uncertain of the job prospects connected to it or whether I shall enjoy it or not.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    None of the above people you seek, but my guess is that as sociology is pretty popular now, there are more people qualified than needed. Therefore I'd say that the safest thing would be to study Economics as well, or Politics, so you can use sociology as a tool, but still get a job once you graduate :)
  • Options
    What is Sociology?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing
    What is Sociology?

Study of society and social problems.
  • Options
    -ology and -studies courses are very popular at the moment, and a lot of people have them. Unless you're planning on doing at least a masters in that, I don't think you're going to get very far with a degree like that. IMO you should concentrate more on a degree that have a more open end to it.

Having said that, I'm doing a pretty limiting degree myself :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skateside
    -ology and -studies courses are very popular at the moment, and a lot of people have them. Unless you're planning on doing at least a masters in that, I don't think you're going to get very far with a degree like that. IMO you should concentrate more on a degree that have a more open end to it.

Having said that, I'm doing a pretty limiting degree myself :rolleyes:

What's that then?
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    What's that then?
    Software Systems for the Arts and Media :thumb:
    How to use computers to draw
  • Options
    Software Systems for the Arts and Media :thumb:
    How to use computers to draw

Lol! Do you enjoy it?
  • Options
    Ooooooh I wanted to know this!

Although I was more interested in a more general Social Science degree. Maybe Psychology, Sociology and History.

So yeah, um, if anyone knows about those as well... [/hijack]

Sorry HunnyPot :o
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Ooooooh I wanted to know this!

Although I was more interested in a more general Social Science degree. Maybe Psychology, Sociology and History.

So yeah, um, if anyone knows about those as well... [/hijack]

Sorry HunnyPot :o

You should be! JK :p I'm also curious about a History Degree, or English.
  • Options
    You should be! JK :p I'm also curious about a History Degree, or English.

Are you applying to uni this year or next?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Are you applying to uni this year or next?

This year. If I go to Uni I'll be going in Autumn 2004. Gosh when I put it like that it's scary!
  • Options
    This year. If I go to Uni I'll be going in Autumn 2004. Gosh when I put it like that it's scary!

Hmm. You should let me know what you find out so I'm all prepared for applying next year :p
  • Options
    I personally find sociology very interesting. I think it is especially good for those people who are nosy and like to know everything about people (hehe).

We all live in the world and we are all involved in social interactions.

There are many different areas of scoiology which means that as a subject it isn't actually as limiting as many people would have you believe. At degree level, depending on which university you attend, you have the choice of modules, which focuses your degree on certain aspects. For example I enjoy the criminology side of sociology.
    Why Sociology?

We are living in an era of rapid change; global and technological transformations are reshaping our work and home lives, our cultures, identities and social experiences. New forces within our societies and beyond are leading to new social ties or the disintegration of old ones. Sociology offers a chance to study this exciting and fast-changing social world in all its aspects.

Areas of sociology include social processes (such as going to the pub and shopping), population, class, race, ethnicity, gender, health care, gloablaisation etc.

I have a wide and varied interest in the world and this is reflected in sociology. Lots of people think we just sit around and talk about "the world" as we see it, but at degree level you will study theories of sociology which are often interesting, and you can debate varying theories.

Areas you can move into include teaching, criminology, criminal investigation (the policeforce etc), social work, social care, counselling and therapy.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx
    I personally find sociology very interesting. I think it is especially good for those people who are nosy and like to know everything about people (hehe).

We all live in the world and we are all involved in social interactions.

There are many different areas of scoiology which means that as a subject it isn't actually as limiting as many people would have you believe. At degree level, depending on which university you attend, you have the choice of modules, which focuses your degree on certain aspects. For example I enjoy the criminology side of sociology.

Areas of sociology include social processes (such as going to the pub and shopping), population, class, race, ethnicity, gender, health care, gloablaisation etc.

I have a wide and varied interest in the world and this is reflected in sociology. Lots of people think we just sit around and talk about "the world" as we see it, but at degree level you will study theories of sociology which are often interesting, and you can debate varying theories.

Areas you can move into include teaching, criminology, criminal investigation (the policeforce etc), social work, social care, counselling and therapy.

Hope this helps. :)

Yar it does my love, but I'm still anxious to hear from people who have completed it. I'm wondering what the pay's like mostly :p
  • Options
    I want to get my degree in sociology, i want to be in the police force or be a counsellor, not decided (depends on whether i can quit drugs or not) but then last night i read an article (fair enough it was in the daily mail) saying sociology isnt respected as a degree at all and its for dumb ppl blah blah!!! I dont know what else to study? My Alevels are so restrictive (philosophy, sociology and rs) theres no comination as theyre all humanities, regretting my choices now! i chose them not intending to go to university, just because i enjoyed them :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Lol! Do you enjoy it?
    For the most part.

We have a lecture that lasts 3 hours where we have to analyse various films, cuts, camera angles, sounds etc... sucks all the fun out of the day.
    And the fire alarm keeps going off in my halls. Being woken up at 1am, 1:30am, 2am, 3:30am and 5:15am, having to evacuate and stand outside in the cold is not fun! :no: :mad: especially when you next wake up at 1:30pm (by another fire alarm) and realise that you missed both, your lecture at 10am and your lecture at midday.
    But that's nothing to do with the course, so I really can't complain too much...

But yeah, fun course, if not a little below me for the next couple of weeks. :)
  • Options
    For the most part.

We have a lecture that lasts 3 hours where we have to analyse various films, cuts, camera angles, sounds etc... sucks all the fun out of the day.
    And the fire alarm keeps going off in my halls. Being woken up at 1am, 1:30am, 2am, 3:30am and 5:15am, having to evacuate and stand outside in the cold is not fun! :no: :mad: especially when you next wake up at 1:30pm (by another fire alarm) and realise that you missed both, your lecture at 10am and your lecture at midday.
    But that's nothing to do with the course, so I really can't complain too much...

But yeah, fun course, if not a little below me for the next couple of weeks. :)

I don't think I'd enjoy your course!

I'm thinking of doing Sociology and Politics now. Still not sure though. Argh.
  • Options
    Im currently in my 1st year of a sociology degree, I am finding it quite interesting although it is very different from a-level. If you like the subject then study it at uni, sociology no matter what some newspaper says is a broad subject therefore as it deals with society it is seen as a'good' degree within the public services ie the police or local government. Anyway if your going to spend lots of money and work hard for 3 years then you have to do something that you enjoy.

Fairywings xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fairywings
    Im currently in my 1st year of a sociology degree, I am finding it quite interesting although it is very different from a-level. If you like the subject then study it at uni, sociology no matter what some newspaper says is a broad subject therefore as it deals with society it is seen as a'good' degree within the public services ie the police or local government. Anyway if your going to spend lots of money and work hard for 3 years then you have to do something that you enjoy.

Are you doing just Sociology, or with another subject as well?

And how is it different from A-level? Is it any more or less enjoyable?
  • Options
    Im doing 2 other subjects, the sociology courses is different because it is less theory in terms of marxist etc but it is more society based and comtempory.
  • Options
    Im doing 2 other subjects, the sociology courses is different because it is less theory in terms of marxist etc but it is more society based and comtempory.

Ooooh that sounds good, the theories confuse me, heh.

What other subjects are you doing?
  • Options

Is that because you already know about the marxist/functionalist etc perspectives on things so theres no need to elaborate, like they use that as a basis for more stuff? How different is it? Id think it would be a lot more enjoyable as it probably would be a lot more relevent to todays society than the stuff you study for A level as thats really just a background.
  • Options
    It is assmed that you do know some theory, but I think that it will be touched upon later in the course perhaps in the 2nd and 3rd year. At the moment they are focusing on the contempory issues like identity.
  • Options
    sociology's not a dumb persons degree is it :eek2:

i'm doing a 3rd year at college (already gone sociology a-level, got a b) and am applying to do either social policy and criminology or sociology and criminology. Not sure yet, need to find out more about the courses :confused:

me likes sociology :D