Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

XMas HMV job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i picked up a leaflet in HMV looking for lots of extra staff in their stores. I went on their website and read up about the seasonal temporary staff and it looks quite good.

But it says its 37.5 hours work a week, which because i'm at school it would be quite hard to do, but would be able to during the hols.
On the online application form it says that retail experience is desirable, and i don't have any, it says that i need working experience where i have interacted with people is neede, which i don't have. I don't think having a paper round gives me much interaction ;) .

Do you think its worth still applying, and maybe they will let me work at weekends and then the full amont once the hols start? or dont shops do that kinda thing?

thanks for any advice ;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it is worth applying for, i mean they won't take you on as someone to work 38 hours a week, but they might have some casual jobs going. If not they will keep you resume and if they hire another lot of people, you'll be at the top of the list. Also, it's good practice
    I applied several weeks ago but apparently they've finished recruiting. Maybe they're avoiding me.

You don't need experience if you don't have any. Just be presentable, friendly...just think what you would like to see in a shop. No rude assistants, or pushy ones...etc.
    hi, thanks for your replies.

if i apply and they don't want me then will they phone me telling me, or will they just not contact me/?

thanks alot.
    Just apply the worst they can say is no.

.:Crispy:.
    hi... sorry i have another question! say the store hours are 9am-8pm, how long after the store closes and opens do you think i would have to work for?

thanks
    If theyre after someone for 37.5 hours, thats full time hours, so you wouldnt be able to do that since youre at school, and there are laws governing how many hours schoolkids can work. It might be worth you asking if there are any weekend jobs in the run up to christmas though, or look in other stores too, theres bound to be loads. Ive seen adverts in loads of shops wanting xmas staff.
    If they dont want you, they probably just wont contact you.