Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleeping through noise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I need your help - I'm in a different room this year at uni, and my neighbours are quite loud. The others on my floor are rugby players who know each other, and always leave their doors open with music coming out.

I've only been here 3 nights, but each night i've been kept awake until about 3 am but a party going on in a neigbouring room (but never the same one). I'm getting quite depressed about it, as I'm really tired. I don't really want to complain to them yet as I'm going to have to get on with them for a whole year.

So does anyone have any tips of what to do, or how to sleep when there's loud music nearby?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Re: Sleeping through noise

Earplugs would be the obvious answer.
    You can ask them to shut the door y'know, it's not asking an awful lot.
  • Options
    I totally understand your problem! I'm sharing a room at uni this year and I can't sleep until about 2/3am when my roommate turns her light off!

I'm trying a sleep mask at the moment! Maybe you shoudl give the ear plugs a go.

They really need to show some more consideration but perhaps they haven't realised that they are disturbing you...I don't think talking to them about it is going to offend them, it just shows them that there are other people in the world that they have to consider before they do exactly as they want to!

Good luck!
  • Options
    I went through this in my first year. My neighbour was very 'into' drum 'n bass with his decks and the walls would shake. I just asked him to turn it down a bit after I realised that he was being unreasonable, not me. We still got along fine, so I'd say just go and ask them to turn it down.

Good luck
  • Options
    Re: Sleeping through noise
    Originally posted by openup
    I need your help - I'm in a different room this year at uni, and my neighbours are quite loud. The others on my floor are rugby players who know each other, and always leave their doors open with music coming out.

I've only been here 3 nights, but each night i've been kept awake until about 3 am but a party going on in a neigbouring room (but never the same one). I'm getting quite depressed about it, as I'm really tired. I don't really want to complain to them yet as I'm going to have to get on with them for a whole year.

So does anyone have any tips of what to do, or how to sleep when there's loud music nearby?

Are we living in the same place!?!
    I am in the same place I was in last year and had the same problem...well not music just very loud shagging every night!
    This year it's a combination of having flatmates that only have 4 hours of classes a week (i have 25) loud, crap music and boys who just like to shout really loudly at 3am!
    As others have said just try nicely asking them to keep it down, if that doesn't work and you're in a hall, try speaking to the warden/resident tutor etc...
  • Options
    I have the solution, maybe its been sead before, im not sure! JOIN THEM! Go and talk to them, party on. I had more hours of lecture than I had sleep last night, i may feel like crap.BUT ITS FUN!!!!!!

Bopz

P.S. Earplugs = Sleep through alarm (personal experiance (sp)):crazyeyes
  • Options
    I have noisy neighbours too in the flat above me and below.

I wouldn't mind too much but I've been a bit poorly and could really do with some sleep....!

Made worse by my flatmates going up to join them - makes it harder to complain because it's just me wanting them to be quiet.

A couple of nights I've waited till about midnight then asked them to keep it down a bit.

Probably helped by my snifflings and going down in my pyjamas....

As far as I'm aware they don't hate me! They even brought me cookies yesterday cos I said I'd been ill :) As long as you don't complain every night it should be ok.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Why don't you just grass them up to whoever is in charge of your halls?

A quiet word in someone's ear about the noise, how it is affecting your sleep and also how you can't concentrate the next day and the uni might send a caretaker or something around to sort them out.

Maybe wait a few days though, and see if it continues. Chances are that there are excited to be back and with each other again and are using this as an opportunity to catch up!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, that reminds me. Do you have a porter or someone that you can phone up and complain? We had one we could call up anonymously and he'd give them a moan and a warning - my girlfriend likes her sleep and made a few such calls.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Sleeping through noise
    Originally posted by Roberta Carlos
    Are we living in the same place!?!
    I am in the same place I was in last year and had the same problem...well not music just very loud shagging every night!
    I hate that! My roommate last year was like that - and totally unapologetic! Sometimes however, she tried to mask the noise by ... wait for it... putting music on.
    I stormed out on a few occasions, once in just a throw and pjs because I was too annoyed to think rationally!
  • Options
    How about listening to your personal stereo while you're trying to get to sleep, something mellow and relaxing and that should send you off to sleep and drown out the noisy neighbours.