Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Singleness...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    re

To be quite honest, I been single all my life and i'm 17 now and deep down I'm not fussed.

When I see my mates with theirs I get a little envious but not too much.

One thing I am happy about is the fact that when I go to uni I don't have to worry about losing any girlfriends due to long distances or meeting new people, as opposed to my pals.

Plus like I said in a previous thread there are much more important things in life than preventing urself from being single.
    I totally agree - the novelty of being single is rapidly wearing off. I did like one guy, and then he got a new gf; i'll have to change that *evil smirk*
    Trying to go out with a friend is also futile - been there and done that too many times before.
    Like Punto, i'm also an only child, so it can be lonely. "The grass is always greener" comment is also so true!
    When i was at university where everybody was getting off with everybody else i used to feel so bad that i didn't have a girlfreind, but now I'm in work I feel quite blase about singleness. I have enough to do in my life without going on dates and stuff.
    The only problems I have with singleness are:

(a) Two's a company, three's a crowd. It's difficult to make friends with people who are in relationships. I'm aware that if I'm single by the time I'm middle-aged I will be getting left on my own a bit.

(b) Feeling inexperienced and less grown-up than people in relationships (I see this as a weakness). There seems to be this cosensus that relationships are something you're supposed to grow into rather than something you have if you're lucky. There's a lot of pressure.

Apart from this, I don't care about being single.
    I like being single, it's not often i sit there and think " i really need someone at the mo". Actually it's usually never. I've got a pretty busy week with work and sport and by the time the weekend rolls round i just want to chill with my mates. So add it all together and i don't have the time for a relationship. I'm not really one of these people that doesn't feel whole unless they have a partner (not meaning that thinking this way is bad).
    being single is the best. you can do what you want whatever you want. talk to and flirt with as many members of the opposite sex as you want without geting any grief. You don't have to spend nights out wondering if your other half is alright.

admittedly these are all very selfish things. but hey, we live in a selfish society, look after #1.:)

the only time i don't like being single is when hungover, on a lonely sunday evening. other than that it's the best state to be in.
    Originally posted by mrkikiet
    admittedly these are all very selfish things. but hey, we live in a selfish society, look after #1.:)

:thumb:
    I'm single for the first time in months, and it feels odd. Ah well no one else to care about but myself which is good. Hmm...
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I'd love to say that singleness makes me feel unhindered and able to fuck anything in a skirt.

But that's bollocks.

After 22 years and no foresight of change in the future, it becomes a bit wearing.

I feel exactly the same. It sucks.
    I've been single for most of my life but I'm 9 months into a relationship with a wonderful girl. We live apart at the moment because she's still at uni and we only have the weekends together but it just highlights how much we miss each other.

So while being in a relationship is great most of the time, there are more responsibilities that follow (thinking of more than yourself) and there are emotional rollercoasters to cope with. Being single is also good in that you have nobody to please but yourself, but on the flipside there is a part of you that wants a 'somebody special'.

It seems like a balancing act to me and whatever you have, you will always want or at least wonder what the alternative is.