Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FAO all those who still believe the US is bringing "freedom" to Iraq

The US puppet government in Iraq to impose curbs on Arab TV stations

Well it seems that freedom of expression is no longer considered important or a pillar of a free country by the democracy-loving US administration and its puppet government in Iraq.

Perhaps the only "freedom" Bush was thinking of bringing to the Iraqis is the freedom to choose between McDonalds and KFC for lunch (for those who can afford such luxuries anyway).

What difference is there between this lot and Saddam?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Freedom for the Iraqis was never any serious concern for our two lying plundering governments Al, and the consecutive revelations of lies and staged media contrivances have only served to reinforce that fact.

This tasty tidbit is of course the full vindication for those of us who said from the start that claims of "liberation" were nothing more than sentimental rhetorical sop for gung-ho, neanderthilic arm chair sods who question nothing so long as its said by right wing politicans...

http://tigger.uic.edu/~huggett/global/iraqioil.html

Anyone believing that Washington and London ever held any sincere intentions toward "poor" suffering Iraqis have merely closed their eyes to the truth that the entire course of our dealings with that country (from installing and supporting Saddam to the conquest and plunder of its sovereign assets) have only ever been about corporate greed and powermongering.

Its the oil, stupid!
  • Options
    If the USA is so keen on the spread of democracy, why aren't they pushing their friends in Saudi, Kuwait and Egypt to adopt it asks Jacob Hornberger
  • Options
    The only freedom the Iraqis have is to be free to sit back and watch their country being raped by villains that make the Mafia look like nice people really.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either gullible, stupid or milking the Iraqi cash cow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

Anyone who thinks otherwise is either gullible, stupid or milking the Iraqi cash cow.

Yes of course..anyone who thinks differently to you has to be a moron or have a vested interest.

Freedom is relative..They dont have as much freedom as the west at the moment, but they have more freedom than they did under saddam....and hopefully they will get full freedom in the near future...

but then, im just a gullible stupid fool on his way to pickup my iraqi oil dividends cheque from the US embassy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Its the oil, stupid!

And what a fine collection of good, honest companies that rticle listed Clandestine. Even leaving aside the US corrupt majors, theres always TotalFinaElf to be proud of, and what about LukOil of Russia, with none other than the CorruptionMeister Roman Abramovich himself deeply involved.

What a sorry tale, and not one penny will go to Iraq. I wonder how much Chalabi will end up with?
  • Options
    But then those companies do not enjoy the presence of their nation's troops nor their imposed INC puppets on the ruling council do they, Kermy?

Is your response supposed to suggest that US oil interests arent after all the driving impetus of the regime change? If so, could you support your contention with supporting references?

Cheers!
  • Options
    LOL freedom, the great cry of Liberalism. There is no such thing as 'freedom' from authority.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

Freedom is relative..They dont have as much freedom as the west at the moment, but they have more freedom than they did under saddam....and hopefully they will get full freedom in the near future...

Being under full military occupation by a foreign power is, in your terms "more" freedom?

How exactly does this "extra freedom" manifest itself?

Oh I know, they can wave placards...............

........... and then run when the troops or police open fire.

:crazyeyes

The freedom to do what the Americans want, is NOT freedom!
  • Options
    Originally posted by opopanax
    Being under full military occupation by a foreign power is, in your terms "more" freedom?

Yes.

Its more freedom than was allowed under Saddams regime. Ive said already that they should get more freedom in the future.

at least they can run from the bullets, under saddam they would have been hunted down and killed along with their family :)
  • Options
    You ever tried running from the oppressors bullets?

:confused:
  • Options
    You ever tried running from the oppressors bullets?

:confused:

Have you?

The US may well be extremely stupid and shoot at demonstrators, but 99.9% of those demonstrators just run off and live to protest another day.

Ill gladly eat my words if you provide an example of the american troops gunning down the entire population of a protest.
  • Options
    Adn how can you justify any protestors being shot or even shot at by supposed "liberators"???

If you believe so much in the wonderful intentions of this whole illegal affair then I welcome you to move over there and live as an Iraqi and then write in and tell us how liberating it is to have your house raided in the middle of the night, your friends and family members shot and your local press shut down for daring to criticise our leaders' overwhelming preoccupation with global political and and corporate hegemony.

It's just a changing of the guard, not real liberation! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Im sorry Clandestine, what part of 'extremely stupid and shoot at demonstrators' did you not understand? I am not justifying the shooting of protesters, I think its very stupid and disgusting.

haha "if you dont like it, why dont you leave"..You sound exactly like one of the right wingers you hate so much.

As Ive said several times now, im not happy with the current situation so where do you get the idea I believe in the wonderful intentions? More of your false psychic visions perhaps?
  • Options
    So Balddog

Have you got an answer to Hornbergers question?

When was the last time you heard President Bush, Secretary Rumsfeld, Secretary Powell, or any of their minions pressure such countries as Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait, or Egypt about the need to establish democracy? If democracy is supposed to be so important to U.S. officials as to justify an invasion of a country — an invasion that was sure to cost the lives of thousands of innocent people — wouldn’t you think that those federal officials would be fervently promoting democracy elsewhere in the region, especially among friendly regimes?

All the indications are that this is a "smash and grab" mission that went (predictably) wrong. The aim was to get control of the oil fields, a "friendly" (to the US) regime in place, and a step closer to "full spectrum dominance".

The Guardian on Saturday reported rumours that the American administration is now recruiting Saddam's torturers to help quell the uprising.

If its true, and its sure as eggs within the realms of possibility, then the Americans turn out to be as bad as Saddam.

What say you?
  • Options
    Why must people categorise everything so much? Why must there be a single reason for everything? Why can there not be a combination of reasons?

I dont think for one minute that the US went to war in Iraq simply to bring freedom to the Iraqis..They certainly didnt do it solely to bring democracy to the country....but i also dont believe that those issues didnt factor into their decision.

As for the oil thing...Id be interested to see when the US will start profiting from this...Their petrol prices have been going up for some time now, AFAIK the US hasnt taken over control of all the oil production, they arent simply stealing it...The fund is still in place isnt it? Im not an economist, can someone explain to me how they are profiting from the 'oil grab'
  • Options
    The Guardian on Saturday reported rumours that the American administration is now recruiting Saddam's torturers to help quell the uprising.?

Saddams tortuers :lol::lol:

Ive not read the article so i dont know who its referring to...Are they actual torturers or are they civil or police officials who were employed by saddams regime?

PS, id be interested in reading that if you have a link.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Saddams tortuers :lol::lol:

Ive not read the article so i dont know who its referring to...Are they actual torturers or are they civil or police officials who were employed by saddams regime?

PS, id be interested in reading that if you have a link.

No, it was a small piece, near the back of the print copy which I no longer have. I think the article was about the war demo.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/09/05/wirq205.xml

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0824-02.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/09/01/1062268480981.html?from=storyrhs
    But Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is on record as saying that the emergence of a Shiite-dominated government in alliance with Iran will not be allowed to happen. A secular strongman has certainly appealed to US policymakers in the past.

How "democratically minded" this supposed "liberation" is shaping to be. Once again its nothing more than a new round of regime installation and management, with no self determination for Iraqis in sight.

Word to Mr. Rumsfeld...

Your reinstatement to US governance along with your fellow cronies won't be allowed to happen!

another insightful editorial on the matter...

http://www.counterpunch.org/jensen04152003.html
  • Options
    You persistently choose to miss the bigger picture in relation to the matter of control over the oil production.

Its not about immediately lower prices at the pumps nor immediate cash revenues to our oil industries. It's about long term return once all resistance has been duly crushed and the requisite puppet fully installed under the pretext of a "democratic" process.

Further it relates much more to the political leverage for which it will be used to bash other competing nations into submission to US will.

How interesting that the war sympathisers repeatedly attack opponents demanding more time for this and that and then think it consistent to attempt to invalidate the patently obvious driving intent of the administration by saying "why arent we seeing huge flows of oil immediately?".

Bogus argumentation for a bogus and illegal venture.

You want vindication on the "liberation" claim? Start adding your voice to those calling for our troops to be withdrawn and the reconstruction turned over entirely to the UN. Otherwise keep believing the lies and spin.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    But then those companies do not enjoy the presence of their nation's troops nor their imposed INC puppets on the ruling council do they, Kermy?

Is your response supposed to suggest that US oil interests arent after all the driving impetus of the regime change? If so, could you support your contention with supporting references?

Cheers!

My pouint got garbled. The usual US suspects are obviously getting first pick, but the oil industry as a whole, not just US oil firms, will benefit from the regime change.

Though LukOil and TotalFinaElf are corrupt enough to have benefitted from a maintained regime I guess.
  • Options
    As were US oil companies, Kermy, don't think that they were absent from the picture. Our boys were merely more discreet, using backdoor channels to make a buck during the sanctions.

By the way, another excellent editorial debunking the myth of "liberation"...

http://www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/0/F5C1E519023A9CCF49256D980023B9CA?OpenDocument
  • Options
    Anybody remember the French being told that as they were dissenting in the UN they weren't going to be getting a share of the oil?

Balddog

The point is this, if America went in because Iraq was a regime that didn't behave acceptably, or follow international law, then it can hardly justify going in a way that many countries found unacceptable, and which wasn't in accordance with international law.

The reason they rushed in was apparently that "Iraq posed a threat to their immediate security" that was a lie. They told the American public they were going in to liberate the Iraqis, in the same way they told the public they were going to livberate Afghani women. There was no evidence they gave a damn about the women of Afghanistan before the war, the womens position hasn't improved and in some areas has deteriorated, and now, they just don't get mentioned.

It must be nice to have forgotten the lessons of Imperialism and colonialism, and to be able to comfort yourself with the thought that we are saving the "heathens". I can't forget the misery that we inflicted on the rest of world, whilst enriching ourselves, and its hard to avoid the conclusion that this is round two, brazen, crazy and with no recollection of the past whatsoever.

And that we are all going to be losers because of it.
  • Options
    Balddog

I managed to track the article down:
    A recent report in the Washington Post backs up the rumours I heard in Baghdad that the Iraqi resistance to occupation is so strong that the authorities are now actively recruiting some of the brutal officers of the security and armed forces that Saddam himself used to suppress the people. If true, the US administration, in the name of fighting the so-called remnants of Saddam's regime, is now busy trying to rebuild the shattered edifice of Saddam's tyrannical state - a tyranny which they had backed and armed with WMD for many years. One of the popular sayings I repeatedly heard in Baghdad, describing the relations between the US and Saddam's regime, is "Rah el sani', ija el ussta" - "gone is the apprentice, in comes the master."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1050860,00.html
  • Options

The reason they rushed in was apparently that "Iraq posed a threat to their immediate security" that was a lie. They told the American public they were going in to liberate the Iraqis, in the same way they told the public they were going to livberate Afghani women. There was no evidence they gave a damn about the women of Afghanistan before the war, the womens position hasn't improved and in some areas has deteriorated, and now, they just don't get mentioned.

There were so many different reasons, many lies, many half truths, many biased ideals..Regardless, it comes down to the individual as to whether they believe it was justified.
    It must be nice to have forgotten the lessons of Imperialism and colonialism, and to be able to comfort yourself with the thought that we are saving the "heathens". I can't forget the misery that we inflicted on the rest of world, whilst enriching ourselves, and its hard to avoid the conclusion that this is round two, brazen, crazy and with no recollection of the past whatsoever.

Again i get accused of having racist tendancies...'heathens'?? Ive forgotten nothing...I also didnt inflict any misery on the world, if you wish to feel guilty at the actions of your ancesters, be my guest as I never will. Ill be sure not to repeat their mistakes and crimes but I wont shoulder the blame for those mistakes and crimes.

Anyway im out of this thread as im just a racist bigot anyway.
  • Options
    :crazyeyes
  • Options
    >>>It must be nice to have forgotten the lessons of Imperialism and colonialism, and to be able to comfort yourself with the thought that we are saving the "heathens".

Oh no! Imperialism and colonialism! Such horrors! How dare the British end slavery in Africa! Those horrible colonial Rhodesians, feeding the continent of Africa, they must be stopped! How dare the British prevent Indian men from burning widows alive on funeral pyres!

>>>I can't forget the misery that we inflicted on the rest of world

Jesus christ! Has this individual lost his mind? The horrors inflicted on the rest of the world? Pray tell, what would these be? When the British left Sub-Saharan Africa, get this, IT HAD NEVER BEEN BETTER OFF.

>>>whilst enriching ourselves, and its hard to avoid the conclusion that this is round two, brazen, crazy and with no recollection of the past whatsoever.

ROFL actually one of the principal reasons colonialism came to an end is because it was so UNPROFITABLE, it was such a fiscal burden.

>>>And that we are all going to be losers because of it.

The only losers I am aware of are the ascetic fanatics who are transforming the UK into a savage third world nation in the name of the lie called "morality."