Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Virus software . . . . ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The subscription for the anti-virus i use that came with my pc is up in a few days, and im not sure if i want to re-new it or not, cant decide...Soo i wondered...

Which AV would YOU reccommend to me.....

Im currently using Norton Av 2003 version, its up-to-date so far but runs out in 3 days i think it is.....Not sure if i should just download a free one or go for something like McAffee or maybe just stick with this one .. .. .. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My Norton ran out a few weeks ago. It still runs but it doesnt update. I downloaded Zone Alarm for free for a month.
    KAV - Kapersky Anti Virus.

Freeware, overlaps most of NAV/Mcafee's definitions and is a tad less resource-hungry.
    I have Norton AV 2002 and I don't like it, I think it takes up tp much system resource.

Try www.grisoft.com - It's proberly the best free AV about and you get free updates as well.
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    KAV - Kapersky Anti Virus.

Freeware, overlaps most of NAV/Mcafee's definitions and is a tad less resource-hungry.

I hated the Kapersky software, I think McAfee, when it's working it the best. I'm using Ablast which is free and quite good.
    yeah, what felix said.
    Best free av software about atm, trust me ;)
    Two best out there :

AVG 6 - Free for home / personal use, 'bout a 6mb downlaod, updates automatically. Scans email attachments as well.

www.grisoft.com

or

AVAST - Again free, updates automatically, email scanner. again it's a 5mb download, but worth it.

www.avast.com
    Excellent thanks all will go search for them see whats what and choose one,
    No point in paying for a subscription if ya can get one for free, and that updates for free to eh....Good stuff.........

:cool:
    I've been using AVG for a while, and it seems good, but is its protection as good as Norton or any of the other established names? Surely you get what you pay for?
    Thats what i want to know ??

Are the others av's on offer as good as norton in terms of virus protection, and seeking the virus's out and removing them, are they as user friendly also?
    I've found that NOD32 takes VERY little resources and has one of the best virus detection engines out there, it has had numerous awards from various review sites for its effectiveness in combatting new virus threats.

http://www.nod32.com

Costs £26 for one license, which is quite decent.
    Originally posted by rich21
    Thats what i want to know ??

Are the others av's on offer as good as norton in terms of virus protection, and seeking the virus's out and removing them, are they as user friendly also?

I use Norton, but nearly everyone I know who does a Comp-SWci degree heartily recommends AVG from Grisoft, and I figure that theyd be the people to know.

You dont always get what yopu pay for though- compare M$ Windows to FREE Linux, for instance.
    PC Cillin 2000 / 2003

www.antivirus.com

Free license and a great software package
    blah blah blah blah blah blah :rolleyes:
    Why is it when something happens on these boards, Im always away!?
    I use AVG on a day to day basis - it's the best free software around however it's pretty useless at healing files.

But the best detection I've come across is RAV antivirus

http://www.ravantivirus.com/

There is a free online scanner which you can use at anytime ... that detects more then any other antivirus program I've tried and I tried about 6 different ones and found this to detcet more then Norton and some of the other big name programs.