Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

nhs direct

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im just off the phone to nhs direct scotland and they were so nice and helpful. just thought ide share that cos the nhs are always getting bad stuff said about them from me included. the nurse i spoke to was such a nice chap and gave me loads of information that put my mind at ease. i suggest if you have a real worry and cant see you gp as soon as you would like to give them a call!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmmm...Interesting...Has the NHS been taken over by aliens who are trying to run it the right way so as to not arouse suspicion? If they are, they're doing it wrong!
    I've had very good experiences with them in the past...people are always so eager to criticise, but slow to praise!
    The NHS helpline is brilliant. When you phone through they ask you what problem your having and if its advice you can be given over they phone the receptionist gets a doctor or nurse to call you back, if they think you are in need of urgent assistance they will get it for you.

the NHS helpline has to be one of the best things we have. Its peace of mind for people, you can phone with your problem and someone at the end of the line will tell you if its serious or just advise you as to what actions to take.

A brilliant service :thumb:
    everyone focuses on the negativity, ive always found the service brilliant, the waiting times arenet great (especially in A & E) but other than that they've all been brilliant helps through all the shit ive been through
    I agree. Waiting times are fucking awful but NHS Direct is great and at least the whole service is free for skint people like me!
    There website is very good aswell.

Cause my girlfriend recently told me she was diagnosed with sickle cell anaemia & I went on there to research the subject cause I couldn't remember it from gcse bio & now i'm all clued up on the matter.

.:Crispy:.
    there should be a sticky in health i think with the nhs direct phone number, and another one (although i dont know on which board) with the website address to the connextions gateway webchat.

bnoth very important and i think people would find them so helpful. especially the connextions gateway webchat. they talk to you in an instant chat about whatever you want to talk about, be it careers, family, money, self harm. they're excellent they really are.
    I actually work for the NHS (although not in a medical capacity ;)) and I love this service. I wish more people would consider phoning when they have simple ailments like a cold, or flu.

However, when I first started university there was a student who phoned and was told he probably had flu. He had meningitis. This is just a warning that when something could be something more serious (erm... hope this makes sense!) it is always worth getting a second opinion when you can. :)
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    The NHS helpline is brilliant. When you phone through they ask you what problem your having and if its advice you can be given over they phone the receptionist gets a doctor or nurse to call you back, if they think you are in need of urgent assistance they will get it for you.

the NHS helpline has to be one of the best things we have. Its peace of mind for people, you can phone with your problem and someone at the end of the line will tell you if its serious or just advise you as to what actions to take.

A brilliant service :thumb:

:yes: totally agree
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    This is just a warning that when something could be something more serious (erm... hope this makes sense!) it is always worth getting a second opinion when you can. :)

Perhaps that should read "get a second opinion, if you are still concerned", otherwise to completely undermine why NHS Direct is there.

The point of it is to stop people going to their GP unnecessarily. If everyone who rang then went for a second opinion, they need not have rung in the first place ;)
    NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47

Also, we do have a special helplines page in our Info section:
    here's the link

;)
    oh my gosh you dont have connextions up there!

www.connexions-direct.com

and on the left hand side of the page is where you will find a link to 'web chat', its the fourth bar down, a sort of lilac colour. click on that and you will be able to talk instantly and confidentially with a connextions advisor, about anything from career, money, health, family, friends, college, life - everything and anything. even if you just want someone to tell about how well you did in your exams, they're very good, and you dont even have to give your name. they can even offer you links to other websites that may be able to offer you information that maybe they dont know themselves. good link to have in your favourites :thumb:
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Perhaps that should read "get a second opinion, if you are still concerned", otherwise to completely undermine why NHS Direct is there.
    Well this kid wasn't concerned, he thought he had flu and went to bed. It was only when someone else became concerned that they sought medical advice.