Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Paint Balling Part 2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ages ago I posted a thread on Paint balling - well this saturday I go paintballing for the first time.

So I need practical tips now.

The letter I got says it doesn't include gloves .. are gloves important? If so why? Is it to keep your hands warm or protect you from scratches and pellets and things like that?

For what they are asking for to hire gloves I could just buy some!!

Should I take a change of clothes and shoes?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Let's work from the bottom up...

Yes, take a spare change of clothes, because the paint can get through the overalls, plus it could be pissing it down, or you could end up falling in a ditch (like I have), rolling in mud, or stepping in huge puddles.
    I remember having a battle with a bloke who was rolling in a mudbath, while I was on the other side of a felled tree, rolling around in mud and stinging nettles. And the stinging nettles bring us on to the next part...

Gloves. I've never worn gloves, but it could be a good idea to wear them for going through undergrowth, the weather (it's cold out there at the moment (and the guns may be cold to the touch), and give a little more protection against the paintballs. Ask them before you go.

I've only been twice, and loved it both times. But it's hard to find a group of friends who can afford it together. It's the price of the paintballs, which you can go through at an alarming rate with the semi-automatic compressed air paintball guns.
    The first time I went was when it'd first come to this country, so we only had the pistols. They needed to be cocked for each shot, the CO2 cylinders only lasted 20 shots, and the magazines were only 10 shot tubes. Every shot had to count!
    The next time was about 5 years later, and with semi-auto guns. Fired almost as fast as you could pull the trigger. I remember one time it felt like walking in to a hailstorm with all the paintballs flying past, hitting the trees, the undergrowth, the ground, my team members, and eventually me. :eek:

My tips would be to listen to them when they tell you how to operate the guns, and how to clear jams/broken paintballs. In the colder weather your goggles/mask may mist up when things get active. If they don't provide anti-misting cleaners, then you may be able to get the divers trick to work of wiping the inside with your own spit (probably best not to let people see you do that unless you want to gross them out. Oh, and speaking of masks. Listen to them when they say never take it off during the game unless you're getting assistance with it from a marshall.
    Paintballs do hurt. They do bruise. You are going to get hurt, and bruised, so don't fanny about because you're scared of getting hurt, and just get on with it.
    You will be amazed at how easy it is to get hit. Just imagine if it were a real battle with real bullets. How long do you think you'd live?

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Will the paint wash off if I get some on my clothes?

Is it best to wear really thick clothing to be protected from the sting of being hit?

And what exactly is the goal in paint balling? Are you supposed to just shoot everyone or get to a certain point? if it's the 2nd I have a hand held GPS .. maybe I can cheat!!! :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I used to marshall at my mates paintball place called Encounters which is literally a 2 minute walk from my house.

BMX gloves are useful. If you get shot in the hand and it's cold it can sting a little but generally you wont be too worried about pain cos you'll be so pumped full of adrenalin you won't notice until afterwards.
    Weekender Offender 
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Will the paint wash off if I get some on my clothes?

Is it best to wear really thick clothing to be protected from the sting of being hit?

And what exactly is the goal in paint balling? Are you supposed to just shoot everyone or get to a certain point? if it's the 2nd I have a hand held GPS .. maybe I can cheat!!! :D

The paint should come out. As far as I can remember they make it so it will. But I'd reccomend older clothes anyway, as you will be running around in undergrowth, and could get them damaged.

You'll probably be provided with camo overalls like boiler suits, so you may not be able to wear too much. Thick clothing may restrict you. Baggy clothing can help absorb the paintballs. Depends upon the weather. You'll get hot when the action starts, so not too much clothing.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    The paint should come out. As far as I can remember they make it so it will.

Paintballs are water based so they'll definately come out.

There are loads of 'games' such as capture the flag etc ...but quite often you'll find yourself defending something and then swapping places with the other team. Where I worked points were awarded for different tasks such as taking a bridge, or taking a tower in under a certain amount of time.
    Weekender Offender 
    ARGH! paintballing!!! go airsofting it's much more fun!
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Yes, take a spare change of clothes, because the paint can get through the overalls
    Heh, I remember when we went paintballing, one of the girls wore white joggie bottoms under her overalls, and after a day of crawling round in the mud, they were black, was v.amusing :D
    Originally posted by Glittery Vodka
    Heh, I remember when we went paintballing, one of the girls wore white joggie bottoms under her overalls, and after a day of crawling round in the mud, they were black, was v.amusing :D

I have jet black jogging bottoms, And they are quite thick maybe I should wear those, do most paint balling places provide lockers for valuables, car keys, etc?

Can you get showered after paint balling? Or do you have to go home covered in paint?

How do you know when the event is over? is there a time limit or just when everyone is dead? And how many shots before you get killed and are out of the game?
    I have jet black jogging bottoms, And they are quite thick maybe I should wear those, do most paint balling places provide lockers for valuables, car keys, etc?

Can you get showered after paint balling? Or do you have to go home covered in paint?

How do you know when the event is over? is there a time limit or just when everyone is dead? And how many shots before you get killed and are out of the game?
    Yeah black joggies should be fine, thats what I wore. As for lockers, the place we went to didnt have anything like that, but then I went when I was at school so our teachers looked after our bags :D There wasnt anywhere to get washed either, but then again, you arent exactly covered in paint, it's the overalls that get most of that.

The way the games worked when we went was that there were 2 teams, you had to get the opponents flag. The flag holding team had to defend their flag and if you got shot then you were out and you put your hand in the air so you couldnt get shot again. But remember never to take your goggles off like PJ did in Byker Grove all those years ago :(
    Originally posted by Glittery Vodka
    Yeah black joggies should be fine, thats what I wore. As for lockers, the place we went to didnt have anything like that, but then I went when I was at school so our teachers looked after our bags :D There wasnt anywhere to get washed either, but then again, you arent exactly covered in paint, it's the overalls that get most of that.

The way the games worked when we went was that there were 2 teams, you had to get the opponents flag. The flag holding team had to defend their flag and if you got shot then you were out and you put your hand in the air so you couldnt get shot again. But remember never to take your goggles off like PJ did in Byker Grove all those years ago :(

The place we are going to is in hemel Hampstead

Is it easy to find your way in the woods? I'd die of embarressment if I got lost!!! :D

What's better to wear trainers or boots?

I imagine trainers would be lighter but may slip.
    If you've got them, wear boots. Not the best things to run in, but then they'll offer more protection on the soles of your feet, provide much better grip, are less likely to come off, will support your ankles to prevent twisted/spraigns and will keep your feet warmer and drier.

As for the games. The main one is capture the flag - ie find and get the opponents flag, and return it to your base.
    A novel one we had was to capture the barrel! One barrell, just about small enough for one person to carry, but big enough to make it hard, and so they couldn't use their gun. It was better to work in small teams with one or two carrying the barrel, and the others defending. Much more of a team game. First to get the barrell back to their base wins.
    We also had a last man standing game in a "village". The fight went down to the last remaining player, or until the time runs out (then which team has the most players left in the game is the winner).
    We also had an assault game, where the teams took it in turns to defend a tree house. The opponents had to get into the tree house (only about 6ft off the ground), open a box, take a whistle out of the box, and blow it to win. We nearly made it. At least three of us, including myself, made it within 20 ft of the tree house, after a mad uphill dash, running the gauntlet, and a torrent of paintballs.

Mr_Wobble ;)
    Hey Guys,

I just came back from Paint Balling - for the very first time!!

Was cool - very tiring though - and so Damn expensive £6 for 100 shots - I was quite conservative today and only bought 400 shots in the end. So spent £24 just on Paint - flipping heck it costed me less then £4 to get more then enough paint to do my entire bedroom from Asda!!!

What do you guys pay for paint balls where you go?

We started at 10am and finish last game around 4:30pm - I can just tell I'm going to wake up sore tomorrow.

thats where i went.....when i went lol:S its good there tho init.

hemel hempstead :)
    Originally posted by Zella
    thats where i went.....when i went lol:S its good there tho init.

Ther's two in the Area - the one we went to was in some old RAF Bomber runway site - is that the same one you went to?

Everyone got lost trying to find the place cos the directions were were given were all wrong.
    Is anyone watching Six Feet Under on E4 right now? They are showing the guys paintballing and they are removing their masks every 2 miutes whilst still on the battlefield ... how dumb is that!!