Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help moi please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm trying to get some pictures up on a particular site but they have to be in jpg format and these pics i want to put up are BMP how do I make them jpg. It says they automatically do it but whenever i try to it wont let me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Start->Programs->Accessories->Paint

Open the file and then click File->Save As...

Then change file type to jpg and save it
    open the BMP, in paint i presume, then save as, select type of file from the drop down list. and there you go
    Open the program you use for editing images (Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop etc... not Paint). Open the picture, then go to File > Save As, and select JPEG from the drop down menu. Enter your filename, and hit 'Save'.
    Paint totally fucks up the image quality when you try to save it as anything other than a bitmap.
    oh yeah, paint doesnt like 24bit bmps and can only handle 12 colours or sommat.
    Thankyou so much!
    Another thing worth noting with saving images as JPEG's is to select an appropriate level of compression/quality. I've found that about 75% quality gives a good image and compact file size.
    Oh, and if you have to edit the photo, and do any manipulation, then work on it in its .BMP state first, then save it as a JPEG, otherwise you could have bad image degredation every time you save, and therefore compress, the JPEG image.

Another tip for image compression with a JPEG is to give it a very subtle hint of gaussian blur, which softens the hard edges in the image, and makes it easier to compress. Try it one day, save the normal JPEG image, then save it with the gaussian blur, and check the difference in file size. As you are adding blur, I wouldn't reccomend it on anything but the sharpest images to begin with, and even then only if you're using them more as a thumbnail, rather than a full screen image.

Mr_Wobble ;)