Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A current issue in education

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have to for my first uni assignment discuss a current issue, i really cannot think of an idea to begin with, so was wondering if you could be as kind as to let me know what ya think?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can you be more specific?

A current issue could be anything from Section 28 to staffing levels to the problems facing immigrant children to schools to...well...anything really.
    Any particular level of education?

If your remit extends to higher education then I would say that Top-up fees are the biggest issue in education at the moment, not hard to find lots of material...........
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Any particular level of education?
    Originally posted by * DEVIL *
    for my first uni assignment

;)

any of the things mentioned above or, is (do I remember this right) voluntering something you have an interest in? if so maybe something around that...
    or something on health/NHS
    Sorry... Right

I need to write and discuss an issue that has ppeared in the press recently about the SATs and School trips for example (however not them!)

I am so STUCK! eeeek!:(

I have had ideas - but was wondering if you all had better as mine are rubbish
    Stuff in the Guardian yesterday concerning leading authors critiscing the education department for putting too much emphasis on exams.............

They are suggesting it warps the purpose of exams as an educational tool and puts kids off books etc.
    ROFL 'edjucahshun' will solve all our problems!
    How about doing an investigative piece on how easily exams are available on the net and how desperate parents and teachers are increasingly willing to cheat to achieve good grades? Like that maths teacher who got arrested for helping her pupils in their GCSE exams by giving them the paper beforehand or how easily SATS exams are available on the net?
    How about examining the people who are taking the test themselves instead of starting with the absurd a priori that all these individuals are somehow equal?
    Why don't you look at statistics on educational achievement... or on stress kids are undergoing in exam time?
    There's been some hoo-hah recently about sex education booklets being handed out to 8 year olds hasn't there?
    Seems I picked up on some discussion not long ago concerning the problems the government is facing in encouraging students in secondary education to stay on in school.

This might be an interesting article to start you off...

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,5500,843190,00.html

or this:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/gcse2001/story/0,10950,530839,00.html
    Originally posted by Smash
    There's been some hoo-hah recently about sex education booklets being handed out to 8 year olds hasn't there?

With the kids in my area, they should be handing out the condoms too.