Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Convicted mugger on Pop Idol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a spinoff post from one in the Entertainment forum, about one of the Pop Idol finalists who served time in prison a few years ago for mugging and stabbing someone else. Normally I'm in favour of ex-cons being given a second chance, but something doesn't quite feel right about this man being given a chance to be rich and famous. After all, the show is called Pop IDOL - no one should be idolising him! What do you think?

Here's the original thread

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Forgot the mugging, did you see him cry into the camera 'mum' after he got through? How embarassing!

I hope he doesn't win because of the mugging plus I don't think he is good enough anyway.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    I hope he doesn't win because of the mugging plus I don't think he is good enough anyway.

Put the mugging out of your head for the moment and just think about his performance on Saturday night. If he continues to put on performances like the one he did then he is one of the best singers that will be in the final.
    You said you dont think he is good enough to win, are you sure you were listening to the same singer that won on Saturday night? he was brilliant on saturday night and you just cannot take that away from him.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Put the mugging out of your head for the moment and just think about his performance on Saturday night. If he continues to put on performances like the one he did then he is one of the best singers that will be in the final.
    You said you dont think he is good enough to win, are you sure you were listening to the same singer that won on Saturday night? he was brilliant on saturday night and you just cannot take that away from him.

Well it's your opinion that he's brilliant, I think their are better people in the final than him (Chris, Michelle etc) this was before I knew about the mugging.
    I also hope he doesn't win because of the mugging, I don't care what people think about that, I like decent people, so sue me.
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Well it's your opinion that he's brilliant, I think their are better people in the final than him (Chris, Michelle etc) this was before I knew about the mugging.
    I also hope he doesn't win because of the mugging, I don't care what people think about that, I like decent people, so sue me.

Obviously your not prepared to debate the subject, you have your mind made up so it pointless me sitting here and trying to debate it with you.
    To be honest, I dont think any of them are true star quality. Im not a fan of pop music but I have heard so much better than every single one of them. To me none of them have true, great quality im afraid. They will all be flops in 6 months time.
    This is bizarre - I post this topic in the Entertainment forum, and people start debating the ex-con issue. I post it here, and people discuss the quality of the pop idol contestants!
    I wanted for just a moment to forget about the conviction and give comment on his talent. Then move on with his conviction.

Regardless of how good he is this is going to knock him back down again. I dont think he has any chance of winning and I do not think he will have that career he dreamed of. All he will be known for now is the singer in Pop Idol who had a conviction.
    Johnny Vaughan is a convicted drug dealer, yet he was given a second chance.

I dont see the big deal, prison is the punishment for the crime, once youve done your time you are no different to anyone else. With a few paedophilic exceptions.
    Like Kermit says, we should not let past crimes bias our present view, I think that an ex-con doing well so publicly could be a good role model for other young offenders.......
    Time served equals debt to society paid and slate wiped.

I haven't seen the programme and I don't know who you are talking about - therefore cannot comment on his musical ability - but it is that which should be used to judge him in this instance, nothing else.

Now, if he stands of Govt...
    We had the same kerfuffle over Les Grantham being in 'Eastenders'.

Of course, it's a slightly different story with Robert Bennett et al and the BNP... or maybe the same story as 'Pop Idol' (criminal records don't generally translate into votes).
    i hope no one is suggesting that because i have previous convictions i cant enter crossword competitions. i'm not alowed to change my life and be sucsessful ...i'm not alowed to become a decent citezen ...i can't go on the price is right ...or supermarket sweep!
    once convicted always condemeded.
    what was all the fuss about angus dayton? he's living his high profile jetset life in the 21st century and for sex and drugs and rock n roll he loses a shobiz carear ...give me a break!