Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pop Idol's Marc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sure some of you may have heard about this, but I'm surprised it's taken the tabloids so long to pick up on it. One of the guys who got through to the final 10 of Pop Idol was convicted a few years ago of being in a group of people who mugged and stabbed a man, before robbing his house and stealing his car.

Now I know he's served time in prison for that, and I'm normally in favour of ex-cons being given a fair chance in society, but something doesn't feel right about this - how a man who ruined someone's life is now being given the chance to be rich and famous. The show is called pop IDOL - under no circumstances should anyone be idolising him.

What do you guys think? The full story is here (edited to correct the link)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You mean the guy who got through on Saturday who cried his little heart out?!
    Bloody hell.
    I suppose though, at the end of the day, society gives people a second chance - he is at least deserved his. It obviously means the world to him, those tears certainly didn't look fake!!
    i think its ok, he would of paid his time and i dont really see a problem with it
    I have not read the story because the link did not work, so am giving you my view without the full story.

Anyway the lads done a crime, he's served his time so why not? He has gone on that stage and showed everyone he can sing, he was the best singer that night so I say good look to the lad.
    i agree with open up, he shouldnt be anybodies "idol". he shouldnt be given the chance of fame and fortune and loads of nice perks.
    what about the guy he attacked? he will be left with the memories of the attack til the day he dies! yes he has served his time but the guy he attcked has alife sentence in the memories he will have.
    i dont think he should have this chance wether he has served time or not. he could have killed that guy!

my brother was seriously attcked and he was badly affected! the guy(who attacked my bro) didnt even serve half of his sentence and is in trouble all the time. people like marc ruin peoples lives.
    wee wuman, if he'd have carried on doing crime then fair enough... but it happened 5 years ago. People change a lot in such a long period of time... I think they're right in letting the lad have a chance.

How would you feel if you'd offended, done your time then 5 years later, when you'd put it all behind you and were looking into a career, people turned against you for it?

I think he can be an idol, an idol to all the young kids growing up into crime to show them that it clearly doesn't do you any favours.

He was clearly the best singer, and by the way he reacted it obviously meant the world and more to him.
    Originally posted by TempleOfDreams
    wee wuman, if he'd have carried on doing crime then fair enough... but it happened 5 years ago. People change a lot in such a long period of time... I think they're right in letting the lad have a chance.

How would you feel if you'd offended, done your time then 5 years later, when you'd put it all behind you and were looking into a career, people turned against you for it?

I think he can be an idol, an idol to all the young kids growing up into crime to show them that it clearly doesn't do you any favours.

He was clearly the best singer, and by the way he reacted it obviously meant the world and more to him.

would you be saying the same thing if he had killed the guy?????? what if he had crimes against a child and served his time would you say the same thing?
    fair enough, let him live his life he has done is time but why should he be given such a chance that many people that have lead good lives would love to have , people that deserve it. why should he go on to have the chance of earning good money that people like nurses really deserve?
    i have seen the effects that a brutal attack has on people and to be honest i wouldnt piss on the person that carried it out if they were on fire, time served or not!
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    i agree with open up, he shouldnt be anybodies "idol". he shouldnt be given the chance of fame and fortune and loads of nice perks.

I agree with you, I don't think he should be someone that kids look up to. Okay so he's served his time, but it's not like he was into shoplifting or something fairly 'minor' like that, he stabbed a guy! If you do something like that you have to accept that it's going to go against you for the rest of your life not just until you've served your sentence. :rolleyes: :eek2:
    this thread might do better in the politics forum - is there any way for me to move it, or do I need to ask the mods to?
    would you be saying the same thing if he had killed the guy?????? what if he had crimes against a child and served his time would you say the same thing?
    fair enough, let him live his life he has done is time but why should he be given such a chance that many people that have lead good lives would love to have , people that deserve it. why should he go on to have the chance of earning good money that people like nurses really deserve?
    i have seen the effects that a brutal attack has on people and to be honest i wouldnt piss on the person that carried it out if they were on fire, time served or not!

He didnt kill the guy though, did he?

Bloody hell :|

I never said what he did was right. But society tends to give most people a second chance, regardless of what they've done - so why should this guy be singled out?

If you've got a problem with him, don't watch Pop Idol and don't buy his singles if he makes any. Simple as.
    Originally posted by openup
    this thread might do better in the politics forum - is there any way for me to move it, or do I need to ask the mods to?

Go start a thread in the politics forum and link this one to it so people can see whats been said.

When you start a new thread in there just explain it will probably more suited in that forum :)

I see where you are coming from but at the end of the day he has served his time. He is not going to be given a career on a plate he is gonna have to work pretty damned hard just like all the other famous stars do.
    He was the best singer on the night and sorry you cant take that away from the fella.
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I see where you are coming from but at the end of the day he has served his time. He is not going to be given a career on a plate he is gonna have to work pretty damned hard just like all the other famous stars do.
    He was the best singer on the night and sorry you cant take that away from the fella.

Thanks Becky :D
    he didnt kill anyone and he didnt mess with kids,he didthe wrong thing he paid his time and he hasnt done owt since,he has talent leave him be.
    The way some of you are talking you want him to serve a life sentance.
    People can reform and because many people have a narrow view of ex-offenders makes it harder for them to get a job and go straight.
    Shame he wasn't on 'Hip Hop Idol'...
    I love hypocrites.

I dont see anyone on here ca,paigning for Johnny Vaughan to be sacked, and he is a convicted drug dealer. I dont see people on here wanting Tony Adams to be sacked, and hes a convicted drunk driver. I dont see people on here complaining about Nick Leeson's bullshitty film Rogue Trader, and he cost people their jobs with his corruption.

The saying is "do the crime, do teh time" Its not do the time, then not be allowed to work because you did a crime once.
    It is also unpragmatic, ex offenders should be encouraged and helped when leaving prison as much as possible so as to reduce rates of re-offending.