Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

chechen prime minister poisoned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Chechnya doesnt exist as a nation, because the Russians refuse to accept it.

And nothing will change because the Russian president makes Dubya Bush look like a Good Samaritan.
    The situation in Chechnya is appalling but somehow public opinion is seldom engaged by the conflict.

In many ways Chechnya is a parallel conflict to the one in the Middle East. The only difference is that Chechnyan attacks are far bloodier, and equally the Russian forces' retaliations make the Israeli army look like a model of restrain (!).

But it seems that opinions are not so polarised in this matter, and atrocities on both sides are 'overlooked' by the West.

Bush, not one to give a flying fuck about the welfare of others, is happy to turn a blind eye to all the Russian atrocities in exchange for Putin's support for the "war on terror."

Etc etc.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The situation in Chechnya is appalling but somehow public opinion is seldom engaged by the conflict.

In many ways Chechnya is a parallel conflict to the one in the Middle East. The only difference is that Chechnyan attacks are far bloodier, and equally the Russian forces' retaliations make the Israeli army look like a model of restrain (!).

But it seems that opinions are not so polarised in this matter, and atrocities on both sides are 'overlooked' by the West.

Bush, not one to give a flying fuck about the welfare of others, is happy to turn a blind eye to all the Russian atrocities in exchange for Putin's support for the "war on terror."

Etc etc.

Nice flip - let's blame Bush shall we?

You are right about the reasons why no-one seems to care. It's because we are so focussed on abusing our own Govt that we miss the fact that others are a damned sight worse.
    I have just accused the Russians of committing those atrocities. What are you talking about?

If I mention Bush is because he and Putin have just met and were patting each other's backs with regard with their respective 'wars on terror'. "Don't mention Chechnya and I won't mention all you've done" and all that.

I don't blame Bush for atrocities committed in Chechnya, but he is relevant to the story and he's certainly guilty of turning a blind eye- for the 94th million time- to certain human abuses so long as it's in his interest.