Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

general studies

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We had to do it for AS and A2 at my school.

We had one taught lesson a week and then a free period to read papers, write set essays, etc.

In the end, people did either really well or really badly, depending on whether they could be bothered to do the exam properly or not.

Seems a shame, a couple of people I know (and I'm sure there were more) got three As and then a D in general studies, kinda ruins how good their grades sound.

If they're clever enough to get three As then they could have got better than a D if they'd tried, but they couldn't be bothered.
    Personally, I have to agree with Hislop (never thought I'd hear myself say that) and say that a General Studies A level is bobbins.
    I didn't have to do it as I went in for Intensive A levels at college, but from what I've heard from friends who did do it, it's pretty laughable.
    My opinion: They should stop making it compulsory/abandon it altogether.
    If people want to cultivate a good knowledge of culture, politics, current affairs, critical thinking etc. then I'd say do a "proper" A level that gives you a much better understanding of these things, and is definitely "accepted" and respected. Such as, shock horror, Sociology, Politics, Philosophy and History.

I think it's a pretty sad reflection on the education system and the government when we have these "worthless", mickey-mouse subjects floating about. Students probably choose these/have them forced on them in good faith, believing that they'll be worth something when they pass. Then it turns out that only a few places accept them as A levels and employers laugh them off.

Yes please Mr. Education Minister, waste my time and effort!
    Originally posted by Dynamize
    Personally, I have to agree with Hislop (never thought I'd hear myself say that) and say that a General Studies A level is bobbins.
    I didn't have to do it as I went in for Intensive A levels at college, but from what I've heard from friends who did do it, it's pretty laughable.
    My opinion: They should stop making it compulsory/abandon it altogether.
    If people want to cultivate a good knowledge of culture, politics, current affairs, critical thinking etc. then I'd say do a "proper" A level that gives you a much better understanding of these things, and is definitely "accepted" and respected. Such as, shock horror, Sociology, Politics, Philosophy and History.

I think it's a pretty sad reflection on the education system and the government when we have these "worthless", mickey-mouse subjects floating about. Students probably choose these/have them forced on them in good faith, believing that they'll be worth something when they pass. Then it turns out that only a few places accept them as A levels and employers laugh them off.

Yes please Mr. Education Minister, waste my time and effort!

Hate to urinate on your bonfire, but Sheffield, Liverpool, Leeds and Newcastle accept it, and they are 4 of the top universities in the UK. You can't argue with that, it's fact.
    I think Sheffield Hallam take it too? I may be wrong, so don't quote me on it...:p

I'd asked to re-sit 1 exam to try and make up those 3 marks but the buggers are trying to make me go to lessons..yeh truffin' right! :eek2: :lol:
    Pretty much every one of the old polys takes it. But like I say even the big ones I mentioned accept it now. They're all top ten UK unis.
    yeah, a lot of good unis accept it - Exeter do as well, as does UEA... and neither of them are ex polys, both top 20, i think.

While it is seen as a bit of a mickey mouse A level, and easier, it's only easy if you can answer the questions correctly - i fucked up the language section, so i got a B, but if you don't have any general knowledge, or opinions on anything, you're screwed. I do, i read a paper and have debates with my parents about stuff, so i was ok to go in with no work or lessons for it. And yes, you could take sociology, politics, history and philosopy, but i wanted to take biology, business studies, psychology and politics instead. Having GS demonstrated that i was generally well rounded, i had a view on some things and could write essays - something that none of my other A levels tested. It's particularly good if you're a science or maths student, shows that you're not completely one sided. It wasn't compulsory at my school, you had to ask to be entered for it, and there were certainly no lessons for it, but without it i wouldn't have got into my first choice uni, because i didn't get my grades in everything else - it's a useful fallback.
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    yeah, a lot of good unis accept it - Exeter do as well, as does UEA... and neither of them are ex polys, both top 20, i think.

While it is seen as a bit of a mickey mouse A level, and easier, it's only easy if you can answer the questions correctly - i fucked up the language section, so i got a B, but if you don't have any general knowledge, or opinions on anything, you're screwed. I do, i read a paper and have debates with my parents about stuff, so i was ok to go in with no work or lessons for it. And yes, you could take sociology, politics, history and philosopy, but i wanted to take biology, business studies, psychology and politics instead. Having GS demonstrated that i was generally well rounded, i had a view on some things and could write essays - something that none of my other A levels tested. It's particularly good if you're a science or maths student, shows that you're not completely one sided. It wasn't compulsory at my school, you had to ask to be entered for it, and there were certainly no lessons for it, but without it i wouldn't have got into my first choice uni, because i didn't get my grades in everything else - it's a useful fallback.

Can I get an amen? :-) Like you say, same as anything, it's only easy if you know what you're on about.