Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Personal Statement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've done a quick search for this but found nothing sooooo please help!

I'm applying to uni & need to get my personal statement written soon but i'm really stuck as to what to say. The careers person at college gave us some handouts but they didn't really help much so if any of you people who have already done this could help i'd really appreciate it, thanx :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Mine went roughly along the lines of this:

Paragraph 1
    Why I have chosen the degree course and a little bit about my future career plans. "My choice of degree course reflects my strong vocational interest in foreign languages blah blah blah".

Paragraph 2
    My achievements at school and extra-curricular activities.

Paragraph 3
    Personal qualities. "People see me as honest, reliable and trustworthy" - with examples to back this up (e.g. I was a senior prefect)

Paragraph 4
    Cheesy, winning ending sentence, along the lines of "I am an extremely motivated person blah blah, and I hope that the opportunities offered to me through this degree course will stand me in good stead for a happy and prosperous life blah blah"

I know what a pain in the ass they are to write, I hope that helps though :)

P.S. Are there no articles on TheSite about writing personal statements?
  • Options
    Yeah, what KoolCat says bascially... I took two months on mine, as it is probably your most important contribution to the application.

I did

Paragraphs 1 and 2: Why I want to do the subject.

Paragraph 3: All about me (i.e. selling myself to the university). don't feel afraid to promote yourself here - modesty is a big no no in this thing!

What subject are you applying for, by the way?
  • Options
    Okay, my careers advisor said my personal statement was one of the best he'd ever seen and I got into 5 out of 6 of my uni choices so this is my winning formula.

- Firstly, don't worry about being economical with the truth, it goes without saying not to lie but you can embellish certain things. eg; I'm doing a politics course and I said I was an active member of the Labour Party - this leads to the image that I go round knocking on doors and all that but the most active thing I did was to return the payment slip!

- If there's anything unique that sounds impressive bung it in - eg; I got through to the national finals of a geography quiz in 2001 and I stuck that in.

- Show you have an enthusiasm for the subject but don't just write "I'm a hard worker and I think I could do well yada yada yada" If there's something that got you interested in the subject or if you have any past experience of work to do with the subject say that instead.

- Mention any extra curricular stuff you do, not in great depth just in passing - shows them you can deal with uni life and that you're well rounded - if that involves a lot of commitment like being in a play or something even better.

- Finally, draft, draft and redraft - I must have done about twenty drafts before I sent it off. Most of them were little things like altering sentence structure or spelling but it is worth putting in the extra work because it all looks better when you apply to uni - especially as you'll get lots of people with roughly the same grades applying so you need to stand out. Also don't be afraid to give it to your careers advisors to check for draft after draft that's exactly what I did. Oh yeah and start early because these places are on a first come first served basis. I had mine done within September.

Good luck!
  • Options
    We have a feature especially about personal statements. Find it here.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Nearly everyone (including me :rolleyes:) begins theirs with 'Ever since I was a child...' or some variant of that. Try to avoid that if you can - the Admissions staff get a bit bored of reading the same sort of thing!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    What subject are you applying for, by the way?

Social Sciences

& thanx alot everyone
  • Options
    Another question, figured it may as well be here

I have signed up to mentor in the Childrens University either this term or next (depending on when they need me) so do ya think its ok to say that ive already done this as i am intending too or should i say that i plan to take part or leave it out. I know this propbably sounds like a stupid question so, sorry :)