Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Graffitti

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think it's art or vandalism?

Some of the stuff you see is amazing, and when it's done on railway bridges and other non-private surfaces, I don't have a problem with it.

What do you think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tough one.

With permission of the property owner, I don't have a problem with it. Certainly there is some terrific artwork out there.

It's "tagging" that pisses me off
    Same here. Taggers should be smacked across the face and made to clean every single one of their tags that is found. That'll teach the little brats.

That's not to say that I don't have a problem with "artists" graffiting all over train stations or brick walls. They should stick to places where they have permission to express their art.

There are few things as depressing as seeing train carriages or walls covered in graffiti, regardless of how artistic it might be.
    Its art in the wrong place
    If it's done well and in the right place (i.e. with property owner's consent), I think it can be quite attractive.
    I am not a fan of it. Not even when it's in places where they got permission. Can't recall a piece I saw, which I actually liked to a greater extent.

I agree with Aladdin, it's sad to see on busses and trains. Automatically makes the seat dirty in some kind of way. Would always go to a grafitti-less seat, if it's a possibility.
    It's just tagging that annoys me; it's pointless and pathetic. It does spoil property.

However, some grafitti - the art kind - is absolutely amazing. There's a place I used to walk past on the way to work, kind of a youth club/activity place, and the kids there had painted all the walls. Looks amazing - really good. However some silly prat sprayed all over one wall with his tag.

So if they have permission and what they're doing is good, I have no problem with it. Infact the good stuff brightens places up.
    It all depends really, there's a different between a work of grafitti art and some kid who's written "Jonny woz ere '92".

Now I like graffitti that's well done, in the right places. For example, it can be interesting to see it when the train approaches London, but it was awful to the the vandalism of the graveyard when I went to Glasgow.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    It all depends really, there's a different between a work of grafitti art and some kid who's written "Jonny woz ere '92".

My thoughts exactly.

Some people can do brilliant stuff, it brightens places up and looks very nice.
    However when you get "Becks Luv's Rolly " tis very tacky :p
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    However when you get "Becks Luv's Rolly " tis very tacky :p
    awww ...i'm blushing now.
    anyone remember street art? where you were supposed to nail clocks, cupboards and settees to the sides of buildings ...no.

oh well ................
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Here is a link to the site of one of London's most well known graffiti artists, Banksy. (Just to be really obvious) His random pieces of public art are challenging and really funny, and his manifesto is subversive and amusing in equal parts.

I especially love the Nelson's Column picture......
    That wesbite is really good - very interesting. Made me laugh. I love the rat ones and his story about painting the bridge opposite a police station.

I've seen a few of the pictures around before.
    it's art.
    Some of it might be considered art, but as far as I know no-one has asked these artists to shove it in our faces as we board the train.

Damien Hirst's cow heads embedded with knives are also art. But I think few people would like one of them nailed to their house wall or placed next to them on a train.
    What is art? You could argue this one all night.

I am a massive fan of graffiti although I do hate the tagging thing. Some may say its ugly and they have every right to their opinions but compared to the wasteland or derelict buildings that still infect our cities its a breath of fresh air.
    Has anybody seen the gorilla picture on the wall on the paddington - to - reading line? There loads of lines that pas it but that's the line I see it on.

Lol it's really funny it's an ape with a crown and he's sayin summin...but sum bastid painted over it =(

that used to give me a smile when I used to get that train to paddington.

art in the wrong place but then they wouldn't do it if they were allowed? Its a kind of rebelious attitude. Even tho it looks really good in art form...taggers need a kick in the ass...but...I'm guilty for that :(
    Graffiti of the artistic kind can look nice, but only in the right place. I srongly object to anyone spraying railway carriages or bridges. A few weeks ago someone sprayed one of the carriages from the Hogwarts' Express, which really pissed me off.

there is another side to this, though. Trespassing on the railway is extremely dangerous, and these vandals take their lives in their hands. Risking Electrocution or being hit by a train is a strange way of getting your kicks.
    I remember asking this same question as one of my first posts, the memories. :p

I generally agree with what's already been said. Tags make the place like dirty and run-down, they really are a disgrace.

However, some of the big pieces you see at abandoned buildings, and legal places really do stand out and look amazing.

Art Crimes has a collection of the best artists around the world. If I had the talent these guys have, I'd shout it from the rooftops.

And Dazer is one of the best artists around my area, he has a real talent too. I've seen one or two of his tags but nowhere near as bad as some people where it's on EVERY free space in the town centre. Top bloke. :thumb:
    erm i done graffitti before, well a couple of times

tagging rong the only thing i ever tagged was my own art work with a small sig at the bottom. but i think i have a right to do that..

i fucking hate taggers though. they tagged over one bit of my work:( okay i only done it once maybe twise. but it was good
    I dont care how "artistic" graffitti is, its illegal vandalism. If its done on private property with the owners permission, and it is not profane, then I think it is fine, but when you get entire trains daubed with graffitti then its not art, its wanton vandalism and the people responsible should have to clean it off with a toothbrush.

Its no better than tagging, going to an effort to make it look better does not make it right, and does not make it more socially acceptable. It should not be tolerated, though I will admit that graffitti vandals should get a toothbrush, and taggers should have to use their tongue.
    Re: Graffitti
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    railway bridges and other non-private surfaces

They are private property, owned by a state organisation. Even under British Rail it was private property and, because its owned by a state organisation, the taxpayer pays to clean it up again.

Go team us.