Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lib Dems win Brent East

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Woo! :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What!!

Are you totally bonkers! You want the liberals in!
    Re: What!!
    Originally posted by BournemouthPete
    Are you totally bonkers! You want the liberals in!
    i think it's just that most sensible people are happy that the tories ...remember the tories? ...came in third!
    Well if I had it my way I'd have the old Labour Party in power with Ken Livingstone as PM and Robin Cook as his right-hand man (or vice versa, I'm not fussy).

But since we still have New Labour and Tony Blair, and the Tories as the main opposition, I for one am more than happy for the Lib Dems to win absolutely everything.

Anyway... might this serve as a massive lesson to the government. Today the idiots were still trying to deny that this is as a result of the war on Iraq...
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    But since we still have New Labour and Tony Blair, and the Tories as the main opposition, I for one am more than happy for the Lib Dems to win absolutely everything.

Those are my feelings too atm, as expressed with the word "woo!"

;)
    I have to add my "woooo" here too. I am a Labour Party supporter and former member. I resigned from the party over the war on Iraq which I believed, and have now been proved right I think, that it was immoral, illegal and imperialistic.

I don't blame the members of the party in Brent East for telling campaigners to get stuffed - we have a government which for all it's good points and there are a lot of good points has several big negatives. Firstly, its obsession with letting money men get their greasy paws on our public services with their programme of privatisation by stealth which is alien to what the Labour Party believes. Secondly, the war in Iraq which we should not have touched with a bargepole which is the main reason I believe for the result in Brent East. Thirdly and responsible for first and second points we have a leader who patronises, bullies and fixes things if they don't go his way; Blair has treated the people who built the Labour Party like shit, he sticks two fingers up at the unions who fund it and he patronises and bullies the members who keep the party going.

There is a very serious risk that as Frank Field points out, our core vote will collapse at the next election and we'll lose a lot of our "safe seats" to the Lib Dems or maybe even the Tories simply because Labour voters stay at home as a refusal to endorse Blair. Without these core seats we cannot even hope to form a government. I very much hope this doesn't happen in 2005/6 and I don't think it will. We need to do a Thatcher on Blair and replace him, and then we can ditch his "poll tax" policies - pull out of Iraq ASAP, ditch the foundation hospitals, top-up fees and PFI. Labour cannot afford itself the luxury of hanging onto an old leader for sentimental reasons - surely Kinnock taught us that? We have to be ruthless and so the time has come for Blair to go and for the Labour Party to institute a modest return to its roots.
    Woo!

Hope Labour now realises you really do reap what you sow and that many of their usual supporters will not be voting for them in the forseeable future.

The lady who won the seat - not sure of her name - she looked very young and bewildered, bless her.
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Woo!

Hope Labour now realises you really do reap what you sow and that many of their usual supporters will not be voting for them in the forseeable future.

The lady who won the seat - not sure of her name - she looked very young and bewildered, bless her.

argh cant remember her name. But shes 29 i beleive, and is the youngest MP to be elected into the Commons.

It was good to see Kennedy strutting about on the streets of Brent though:p
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

In a truly hideous suit. :crazyeyes

Politics is showbusiness for ugly people.
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    In a truly hideous suit. :crazyeyes

I have to agree with that, it was bage:eek2: Guess its the nearest suttle colour to a yellow suit though!
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    argh cant remember her name. But shes 29 i beleive, and is the youngest MP to be elected into the Commons.

Her name is Sarah Teather.

Anyway, I'd like to add my "woo" to the other's. Of course, I would have been even happier if a Conservative won the seat, but anything's got to be better than Labour, hasn't it?
    anyone who wants to give Charles Kennedy more power needs their head tested.
    While anyone who would want the Tories back in power is beyond medical help. ;)