Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The price of binge drinking.

I heard some scary stats on the news this morning, did you know?

Booze causes some 58,000 under 65's to die every year.

The cost to the NHS, police and public in general of booze is 10 billion pounds a year!

Drugs are nothing, something needs to be done before our intire nation kills itself on booze. Happy hours are to be banned, which sounds fair to me, problem drinkers need more help, but mainly as a society we need to change our view of binge drinking.

Getting totaly drunk should NOT be acceptable.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're nasty stats bongbudda but it seems it is the way of life now in britain. Correct me if I'm wrong but i believe binge drinking is far worse than drinking lets say a few pints every night.

I binge drink twice a week. I don't really drink through the week (maybe a couple of pints 1 week night after footie training) but I drink to get mashed on a friday night. Also now the footie season has started again I'm in the pub every Sunday from 12.00 dinnertime to 12.00 midnight and so are most of the footie team.
    I'm 15 and i don't see why drinking is such a must for everyone. I've never really been a person who goes somewhere for the sole intention of getting wrecked. I hate the pissed feeling, and i can't undertstand why so many people love it. I can understand getting tipsy and shit, cos that can be enjoyable and it can make you more comfortable in your surroundings and can make you more confident. But people who just go and get as much drink down their throats as possible, i find that weird. It makes people feel terirble the next morning, they make twats of themselves and sometimes they can't even remember what they done.

Give me a joint over a pint anyday.
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    I'm 15 and i don't see why drinking is such a must for everyone. I've never really been a person who goes somewhere for the sole intention of getting wrecked. I hate the pissed feeling, and i can't undertstand why so many people love it. I can understand getting tipsy and shit, cos that can be enjoyable and it can make you more comfortable in your surroundings and can make you more confident. But people who just go and get as much drink down their throats as possible, i find that weird. It makes people feel terirble the next morning, they make twats of themselves and sometimes they can't even remember what they done.

Give me a joint over a pint anyday.

Really no one would have guessed!!

(empty your box please)
    Originally posted by Miss Elmo
    Really no one would have guessed!!

(empty your box please)

Done :)
    I know what you mean Rise & Shine, I cant really handle too much booze anyway. I'd much rather have a few really good beers or some good qaulity vodka than shove 10 pints of piss beer down my throat.

And yes binge drinking is significantly worse for you than spreading it out.
    Well sounds like I got the figures wrong, the cost is higher and the deaths lower.

Looking on the BBC site it comments that Britains spend 30bn per year on booze, that means for each three pounds spent it costs two, thats crazy!
    Re: The price of binge drinking.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Drugs are nothing, something needs to be done before our intire nation kills itself on booze. Happy hours are to be banned, which sounds fair to me, problem drinkers need more help, but mainly as a society we need to change our view of binge drinking.

:yes: ... i think everybody know's my views on drinking excessive amounts! not a clever thing to do :no: evil stuff
    Drink is a part of this culture in the uk, the lager lout culture which isn't going to go away....never ever.
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Drink is a part of this culture in the uk, the lager lout culture which isn't going to go away....never ever.

Why not? There's no reason not to get rid of it.
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    Why not? There's no reason not to get rid of it.

Because people like to get fucked up and they aren't going to stop getting messed up, the generation of today take alot of drugs and alcohol and it's not going to stop.

how would you go about getting rid of it anyway tom? any ideas?
    Originally posted by Shogun
    Because people like to get fucked up and they aren't going to stop getting messed up, the generation of today take alot of drugs and alcohol and it's not going to stop.

how would you go about getting rid of it anyway tom? any ideas?

I do agree with you in that respect. People do like to go out and over-indulge every now and then, and they are entitled to. I just don't think that people should be doing it everytime they pop down to the pub.

The problem lies in licensing laws. Instead of trying to smother drinkers with stricter laws, the licensing laws should be greatly relaxed. People wouldn't binge drink nearly as much, if they didn't have to be finished for 11 o'clock closing.

I don't want to change drinking culture per se, I would jsut like to see the removal of the anti-social behaviour that often goes along with it. It's unnecessary.
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    I do agree with you in that respect. People do like to go out and over-indulge every now and then, and they are entitled to. I just don't think that people should be doing it everytime they pop down to the pub.

The problem lies in licensing laws. Instead of trying to smother drinkers with stricter laws, the licensing laws should be greatly relaxed. People wouldn't binge drink nearly as much, if they didn't have to be finished for 11 o'clock closing.

I don't want to change drinking culture per se, I would jsut like to see the removal of the anti-social behaviour that often goes along with it. It's unnecessary.

I know what you mean about the anti social behaviour part of it but that's what happens with alcohol, thats an effect of alcohol, to have no care in the world.

I don't see any problem with people going out to the pub and getting off their face every weekend, not completly off their face but pissed anyway.
    The problem is the cost, we all pay for it, that 20 billion has to come from somewhere.

To my mind I think happy hours should be gotten rid of, hours should be extended and there needs to be more health education about the dangers of drinking too much. People are easily drinking their weekly limit in a night, and then repeating that 3-4 times a week. Your'll kill yourself doing this.

But as you point out, its a somewhat foggy moral argument, the stuff is legal so why shouldnt people use it? I just think we need to change the social attitude that getting 'fucked' is a good way to spend your evening.
    but really...'fucked' is a good way to spend your evening, 2nights a week..friday and saturday.

why not sure?
    Lets aggree to disaggree on this one Shogun, you see the fun side, and I see the serious health problems, the violence, the social problems, the cost to the NHS.......etc.
    I know what you mean about that but not everyone goes out and destroys things, but there alot that do.

Whenever me and my mates go out at weekend, we get drunk and don't wreck anything, just have a laugh.
    Have you noticed how this is a 'hot topic' I'm not sure one of my posts has done that before, oooooh I'm all excited.

I guess what we need to to cull all the twats out of Britain and then we'll be alright.
    I guess what we need to to cull all the twats out of Britain and then we'll be alright.

:thumb: