Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bush: "We're a bunch of liars who deceived you about Iraq and 9/11"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3118262.stm

Can we expect any resignations over this? Will the relatives of victims of 9/11 demand that heads roll?

Incredibly, no. No one seems concerned that the memories of 3,000 people have been insulted and an atrocious attack was used by the Bush administration to drum up their imperialistic war of conquest elsewhere.

Never mind the countless statements and insinuations by just about every member of the US government- including Dubya himself- about Saddam being behind 9/11. Now all he has to do is say that there wasn't a link, and all is well.

Presumably we can look forward to further statements within the next 14 months that Iraq had no links of any sort with Al Qaida (which the US government is still insinuating) and finally that Iraq had no WMDs and that Saddam wouldn't pose a threat to an old people's home, let alone the USA. By then it will be election time, Bush will have "come clean", and all he has to do is take the US to war against the imminent threat posed by Iran's WMDs or Syria's link to terrorism.

Etc etc ad infinitum.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hans Blix is reported today in fact to be finally levelling his criticism on both the US and UK goverments for essentially fabricating (or as he puts it, "overinterpreting") the data on Iraq's supposed remaining WMDs.

Of course, with an election coming next year, dont expect any substantial reversals from Bush certainly (not without further heaps of spin that is).
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Hans Blix is reported today in fact to be finally levelling his criticism on both the US and UK goverments for essentially fabricating (or as he puts it, "overinterpreting") the data on Iraq's supposed remaining WMDs.

Heard his interview on Radio 4 this morning. Interesting.

He believed, apparently, that US/UK intelligence reports might be showing something which he couldn't find. He wasn't certain that Saddam was being honest back then, and he said that he felt that US/UK skepticism of Saddam's claims were justified because of Saddam's history and nature.

There was more, some of it damning, some supportive... can;t remember it all. You mjight be able to listen to it on the Today Programme website...?
    My immediate question is not what is he saying but why is he saying it? What is he hiding by putting the media spotlight on this?

Answers on a postcard...
    what did you expect...

pnj, where are you now?

i would love you to see this....

I TOLD YOU SO!!
    I'd appreciate Greenhat's output on his President's little revelation.

I hope that if he's ever allowed leave from his duties he'll come back to these forums. Although if he's been sent to Afghanistan or Iraq we could be in for a long, long wait.
    Actually in all liklihood we'd just have to listen to further delusional rhetoric denying that he and those who crave conquest were duped in any way. Basically just turn on the news and get the rundown on the latest u-turn excuses from Washington and youll have the gist of whatever the Pentagon would authorise US military personnel to say.

If youre expecting his eyes to be opened to how the US military has become little more than a mercenary army to secure big business interests, dont hold your breath.
    Did you know that the most popular news channel in the US is Fox, and they dont read anywhere near as many newspapers as us.
    Yes sadly, im all too aware of the dirth of accurate and thorough reporting back home of what the govt is truly up to outside the country. Even CNN is lttle more than a propaganda machine with a transparent bias toward the Neo-Con agenda.

Here's a revelation to shock you...

http://www.sierratimes.com/03/02/28/arpubmg022803.htm
    After I finish reading Stupid White Men (which I finally got round to buy) the next book on my list will be Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them; A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right by American comedian Al Franken. This is the book the Fox network tried to ban, arguing that the catchphrase "fair and balanced" belongs to them and therefore couldn't be used in the title.

Anyway, the book exposes the extreme bias and ultra right-wing views of the Fox Network and indeed the Murdoch empire, and thanks to Fox's failed attempt to ban it the book has jumped to the top of the US bestsellers list. :DFull story here.

With regard to CNN Clan, this is what one of their own reporters had to say.
    I thought it was interesting in the BBC story that they mention that they thought Al-qeada was operating from Northern Iraq, but conviently forgot to mention that Sadam didnt control there. In fact it was supervised by protection from the US.
    Just another in a continual thread of half truths, spin and outright lies told to the public by mainstream media.

And far too many of my countrymen still delude themselves into the belief that our domestic media isnt controlled by Washington. :rolleyes:
    I wouldnt say its overt control though as such, it seems to be just an aggreement. Anyone who critizes the government is seen as pretty much spitting on american flag.
    Call it colusion, call it control, the reality is a bit of both in the end.

an interesting article on the subject...

http://www.sfbg.com/MediaBeat/189.html
    No certainly, I'm not disaggreeing with you, its just I would say that colusion is worse, with control a few might slip past, but this way the government there doesnt have to work at it.
    The only bush I trust is my own.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    The only bush I trust is my own.
    i'll trust in yours as well then ...