Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

suspected rape victims......name them?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think peoples identity should remain annonymous until they have been convicted of rape?

I feel that if someone is on bail, remand or whatever their names should not be released. If someone is wrongly convicted they they have to live with this for the rest of their life. Mud sticks and some people are never the same again.
Women are protected and names not revealed in the media, I think men accused should also be this way.
Rape is a very traumatic thing to go through but also for someone wrongly accused it must be as traumatic.
So why do we still name the accused? what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

I watched Kilroy again this morning and this topic was being discussed. One man caught my eye, he had been arrested on suspected rape and named. His world turned upside down, he has been in a mental hospital and he will never be the same. His life at the time was horrendous and he still has to live with people thinking he did actually rape someone.
Its these men I feel sorry for and I think their identity should be protected untill they have actually been tried and found guilty.

So what do you people think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That you should change the title of the thread :p

And no, I don't think that people should be named, when there's only a suspision. Especially not in a thing like rape, as if the women gives permission, she can get checked for DNA, which should help convict the rapist pretty easily, if they have caught him.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    That you should change the title of the thread :p

hhhmmmmmm yeah

dduuurrrrrr ignore the title because cant change it now can I :lol:

but you all know what I mean :D

Ive changed it now, cheers Jacq :thumb:

Oh no I havent :(
    I remember in one paper several convicted paedophiles were named and shamed. The only problem was that one man who was completely innocent got put in hospital... just because he looked like somebody on the photos...
    Some people argue that by naming the suspect you are protecting other people from them but I disagree...they should have anonymity until found guilty.

Mind you - the percentage of cases of rape taken to court that are found guilty is really low, Either there are very high levels of false rape claims or women are seeing their attackers get off scott free!
    Originally posted by byny
    Some people argue that by naming the suspect you are protecting other people from them but I disagree...they should have anonymity until found guilty.

Some time ago I might have said name them, but after today hearing this fella and how its ruined his life then I now say dont name them unless they have been convicted.
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I remember in one paper several convicted paedophiles were named and shamed. The only problem was that one man who was completely innocent got put in hospital... just because he looked like somebody on the photos...

And one man had his house and family attacked, with "PAEDO" sprayed on the walls. He was a paediatrician.
    you been watching kilroy, becks?

i agree with the 'innocent until proven guilty' thing.

people accused of rape are going to have a lot of stick from everyone that knows them. which is fair enough if they are actually guilty. but if they've been falsely accused, what's the sense in ruining someone's life for nothing?

girls crying rape doesn't happen often, but it does happen (my insane cousin has done it twice) and these men should be protected.

release their name AFTER a guilty verdict.
    Of course defendants against charges of rape or other sexual offences should be given anonymity until such a time taht they have been found guilty, if that is the right course of action. For serious charges the defendants are not given bail anyway, so they are not a danger, and if they are found guilty they will be locked up, asgain presenting no danger.

It should be the same for all crimes, in all honesty- innocent until proven guilty is the maxim of the British judicial system, and naming people before a guilty verdict leads people to believe that there is no smoke without fire, regardless of the actual truth.

There have been enough malicious claims of rape in recent years for this action to be justified- Leslie, Craig Charles, the Hamiltons...even in "real-life", last year a pharmacist in Newcastle was jailed for maliciously claiming rape after her boss had reprimanded her for poor work, and two students in Reading screamed rape against a professor who had failed their work in one module.