Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

While in the care of social services - so what

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So - the big news is that the 7 year old killed in a suspected drugs gang shooting was in the care of social services!!

It really annoys me that the newspapers etc are making a big deal of the fact that she was in their care. The simple fact is that the social services were trying to encourage a connection and continuing relationship with her father. Yes she was killed, yes its sad, yes its bad that her father may have been in some way connected with drugs..but..I doubt very much that social services were doing the wrong thing by allowing her father to have weekend access to his daughter!

The bad thing that happend was that another person shot two people and they should perhaps do more to stop people having guns than they do.

If the police were in any way aware that this man was somehow embroiled in dangerous gangland activities then they should have made this clear to the social services. The simple fact is there is really bad communication between our public services.

I'm fed up of social workers getting the blame for everything. if they take children away they are accused of cruelty and splitting families, if they try to work with families they are accused of letting parents get away with evil!

Christ - the person they should all be pointing the finger at is the bloody gunman!!

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Re: While in the care of social services - so what
    Originally posted by byny
    I doubt very much that social services were doing the wrong thing by allowing her father to have weekend access to his daughter!

Surely if she was in their care than they are responsible for her? Her father had already survived being shot 6 times last year - and he'd also served a lengthy prison sentance for drugs.

As a parent would you have let your daughter visit this man in his home? I'm all up for encouraging good relationships between fathers and daughters but in this case surely it would have made much more sense for him to visit her instead?

I think that social services could have done better that's all.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Social Services should never have let him see the child, especially unsupervised, aren't they their to protect kids from dangerous and unsuitable parents?
    I agree, they should have only let him have supervised access. Its very easy to say this in hindsight of course, and social sevices cant be expected to never make mistakes, and im sure they protect a lot of lives too, but we dont hear about them, its not quite so exciting a story.
    Perhaps if we gave our Social Services enough funding, made sure that there were enough Social Workers then they would actually have the time to deal with these problems properly...
    Re: While in the care of social services - so what
    Originally posted by byny
    It really annoys me that the newspapers etc are making a big deal of the fact that she was in their care. The simple fact is that the social services were trying to encourage a connection and continuing relationship with her father.

Good move, a convicted felon who was a known target. Really, I think that they should have thought a little harder about the nature of the person with whom they were encouraging a further relationship. Don't you?
    Christ - the person they should all be pointing the finger at is the bloody gunman!!

I think that they are, but that doesn't detract from the responsibility of the people who put her in harms way. And that's not just the Social Services I know, the father was as much to blame. Social Services had the power to prevent her from seeing him if they wished...
    Parents should take responsibility for their own children. It's not the governments job to care for your kids, unless the parents are sick or some justified reason.

It annoys me when parents abandon their kids to a friend or relative, like the parents of Victoria Climbie or this mother, then complain about the British systems when their child is harmed. They are YOUR KIDS, care for them!