Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Flag-waving at the Last Night of the Proms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
While watching the Last Night of the BBC Proms on the TV this evening, I was struck by the flag-waving -- or, more accurately, by the flags that were being waved. Union Flags, crosses of Saint George, saltaires of Saint Andrew, Welsh dragons... I even spotted a Royal Standard in the mix!

My point is this: what better example could there be for the fact that the United Kingdom is one nation made out of many, in which tolerance is practised?

Without doubt, the Last Night of the Proms is an event of stong nationalist feeling (at least, stong by UK standards). I honestly can't a similarly nationalist event in Saddam-era Iraq, Iran, North Korea going ahead with more than once flag on show. For that matter, I can't even imagine there being multiple flags on show in the USA -- although I'd be happy to be corrected if the individual states' flags do get a lot of show.

Do people here agree that this is a laudable thing, and that the UK is unique in this respect? Or am I reading a bit much into it all? :-)

Mac

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good to see you again, mac.

Totally agree with you. I don't know of any other country (if you can consider the UK a country where different flags would be so welcome at a national event.

Unless others can prove me wrong,...
    I agree too. But I think that flag waving should not only be restricted to last night of the proms.

On another note, and not completely off-topic, does anyone know where you can buy Union Jacks?
    I had to get my big Union Jack and St George from seaside resorts. You could also get like scottish and Rep of Ireland. My N.Ireland flag I had to get from Belfast.
    I've seen plenty of England flags for sale, and Scottish flags, but I'm still looking for a union jack. I bought one for my fella from Liverpool airport and sent it to him when he was living in Poland - he loved it and it cost me about a tenner! :eek: But then he gave it away to a Polish girl at a party. I was a bit gutted about that, specially as it took me so long to find one and I spent so much on it!

I want one for myself now though.
    Army and Navy Stores
    £10? I usually get 4'x3' for around £5
    MoK: Thanks. Long time no see, I know. :-)
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    I agree too. But I think that flag waving should not only be restricted to last night of the proms.

Nor do I. In fact, I think it's a shame that Britons aren't more patriotic more often. It seems to me that we in the UK are almost afraid to be seen to be proud of our national heritage, which is why the Last Night is a good thing. Towards the other extreme one gets American gung-ho and eventually extreme nationalism of the Nazi or other totalitarian variety. Have we fled from that extreme too much, lost our sense of balance?
    Originally posted by MacKenZie
    Nor do I. In fact, I think it's a shame that Britons aren't more patriotic more often.

I know! *sigh* Britons eh? ;) Quite happy to moan that national identity is going to go down the drain because of things like the Euro, but won't even fly the Union Jack!
    Originally posted by MacKenZie
    It seems to me that we in the UK are almost afraid to be seen to be proud of our national heritage, which is why the Last Night is a good thing.

I wonder how much of this is because we are told that we should be ashamed of much of our history.

Certainly I don't think that we behaved well in the past, but that is because I am using current standards as a guide.

Personally I am all for showing some national pride...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It was good to see though I was mildly unimpressed by the lack of Jacks waved by the Scotts. Did anyone else notice this?
    Weekender Offender 
    Not too surprising, really. My Dad's a Scot, while he'll cheer on England if they're playing, his Scottish allegiance trumps that by a long way. The Scots seem to have a stronger national identity than the English or the British as a whole.
    What about the eisteddfod?
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    What about the eisteddfod?

Well, it's starting to clear up since I got the cream ;)
    Originally posted by KoolCat

On another note, and not completely off-topic, does anyone know where you can buy Union Jacks?

Try http://www.flytheflag.net/

Oh and state/regional flags are frequently seen in the US, Germany and Spain.

Paul.
    Originally posted by Paul_2
    Oh and state/regional flags are frequently seen in the US, Germany and Spain.

I have travelled in all three of those countries and I can recall seeing the 'regional' flags on display, but usually outside local municipal buildings and suchlike. What I was really thinking about is whether those flags get a showing at national events.
This discussion has been closed.