Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I am sooo confused?!?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
UCAS application deadline is coming up and I am torn between what I want to do in uni.

the only thing that will make you successful is you. you could have a degree in crap from the crap college of crapville, but if you have motivation and talent, you can do anything

I saw the above from a reply to thread about a student apllying to OXbridge and I totally agreed with what Kaffrin is said.

As I said in a previous post (probably :confused:) I got a massive passion for design, I could blabber bout it all day. The thing is i know the industry is sooo bloody competitive and its just put me off going for a course to do with design (which makes me question have i even got a passion for design). Im not sure if I should go with my "passion" or go with a degree which i will en able to get a job in (Business management) with good money (which I know i will do cos im the most determined fu*ker you'll ever meet) but my hearrt is set on design...
Please someone help!!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go with your heart.

You've got to do the coure for three years at least, so doing something you're not interested in will be a waste of time. People make the fatal mistake of going for a course that will get them good money in the future - in most cases it won't.

If you went for business, you'd regret it. Go for design - it may be a competitive industy, but if you've got the passion to get in there, people will take you on. Do your 3+ years at uni, enjoy it, get a good strong degree and then work towards your ambitions... which may have totally changed by then; you never know.

What degree you do is not vital in careers - i was given a talk on this, and it had things like politics students becoming fortune tellers and geography students becoming studntmen... a strong degree is better than no degree.
    i think you should do the design course,i'm not denying that its a competative industry,(it took my bf 2 yrs to get a job in design once he's done his degree) but it's worth it if it's your passion.

besides, if you don't automaticly get a job n design as soon as you've left uni you'll still be able to get a decend job to tide you over until you do find the perfect job. employers favour anyone with a degree purely because of the skills they have gained over he course of 3yrs and because people with degrees are generally more people confident when dealing with people.

hope i've helped you out and not just rambled!
    Make sure you choose a course that teaches you the skills needed for patterncutting, tayloring and suit making...that way you'll have the edge over people who think its just enough to have a passion for clothes.
    Originally posted by byny
    Make sure you choose a course that teaches you the skills needed for patterncutting, tayloring and suit making...that way you'll have the edge over people who think its just enough to have a passion for clothes.

yes yes YES.

*recovers*

especially pattern cutting. it's such a rare skill these days that you could work for yourself and pretty much name your price. it'll be a boost for your employability, and it'll help you understand fabrics and cuts, which will improve your design work.
    besides, if you don't automaticly get a job n design as soon as you've left uni you'll still be able to get a decend job to tide you over until you do find the perfect job.

i also agree with this. if you've got a good solid degree in anything, you've a better chance of being employed. you might not get into fashion the second you leave uni (like i've said in another one of your threads, it is really tough) but if you have the talent, and if you WORK your socks off then you can do it.
    OR you could apply for a mix of both and see how the interview/open days go!?