Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The 'stigma' attached to mental illness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why should there be a stigma if mental illnesses are supposedly so common?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: The 'stigma' attached to mental illness
    Originally posted by monocrat
    is this an admission?
    :rolleyes:

Because of people like you who do not understand exactly what depression is.

I was a normal, happy person till I had a baby. Then a few months down the line I was totally the opposite, I had post natal depression. That was not my fault, it is all to do with hormones etc.
    You take a look and you will see that many new mothers actually suffer from this but because people think they are *stupid* they keep it to themselves.

Lack of knowledge in the subject I think is the problem, if people were more open and people who have never suffered from it were a bit more compassionate, then we would not have the stigma.
    Re: Re: The 'stigma' attached to mental illness
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Because of people like you who do not understand

:yes:

because of the huge amount of ignorance surrounding the issue. also because of the shame people feel about admitting that they might be losing their mind. like they feel they should be able to control it.
    Because of people like you who do not understand.
    that one simple sentence should be enough to bring this thread to a close do'nt you think?
    Re: Re: Re: The 'stigma' attached to mental illness
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    that one simple sentence should be enough to bring this thread to a close do'nt you think?

You were righr Mr Roll, but ive brought it back just incase anyone else can add anything :D
    Would it be too upsetting for monocrat if this thread were transferred to the 'Health' board, where it probably belongs?

Why is there a stigma on anything? Beacause of lack of understanding or ignorant.

Hey hey... chill man. He's asking questions, which is a way of admitting he doesn't understand them.

Personally, I think there's an expected way to behave in a modern society, norms and values so to speak... and if somebody deviates this stupid idea of the 'perfect person'... well they get a stigma attached. It's like there's a stigma on people who've contracted HIV or overweight people.

I guess society is narrow-minded, or maybe ignorant by choice that the world isn't as perect as the movies protray it.

Ignorance is bliss, ain't it?
    Originally posted by MoonRat

Hey hey... chill man. He's asking questions, which is a way of admitting he doesn't understand them.

Hey im chilled and im telling the truth, so whats the problem?
    Sorry dude, felt like being nice to him outta pity.

How do you know?

I was a normal, happy person till I had a baby. Then a few months down the line I was totally the opposite, I had post natal depression. That was not my fault, it is all to do with hormones etc.
    You take a look and you will see that many new mothers actually suffer from this but because people think they are *stupid* they keep it to themselves.

Lack of knowledge in the subject I think is the problem, if people were more open and people who have never suffered from it were a bit more compassionate, then we would not have the stigma.

How would you suggest they be more 'compassionate'?
    How do you know?

Im going by comments made here, by yourself actually. As far as being compassionate I mean not calling them names like you have also said here. However we are not going to get back into the name calling are we :rolleyes:

People with depression dont need people calling them stupid because they are not stupid they are just having a bad time coping, they may feel as though life is not worth living. They may cry for no reason. They may lose their appetite. They may find it hard to sleep and also find it hard to concentrate on different things.
    Its an illness which when treated can help them get back to how they were.
    How do you know?[b/]

Because anybody who knew anything about mental illnesses and especially people who's life it has affected would never attach a stigma to something that is really just a part of life.

How's about not calling somebody a 'loser' to start.

Ooh, let me see. How about punishing bullies, not allowing illness to impact upon job applications and such like, how about not allowing banks and other lenders to refuse loans on grounds of mental health, hows about...

Treat them like any other person, like the disabled should be treated too.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The 'stigma' attached to mental illness
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Ooh, let me see. How about punishing bullies, not allowing illness to impact upon job applications and such like, how about not allowing banks and other lenders to refuse loans on grounds of mental health, hows about...

I'd think banks should have the right to do that.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The 'stigma' attached to mental illness
    I'd think banks should have the right to do that.

Itd depend- if the person is so mentally ill that the bank is unlikely to get all its grotesque profits then I could understand why a bank would refuse a loan- its the same if someone had cancer.

But as a general rule most mental illness is not life-threatening, yet it is discriminated against as if it was a life-threatening cancer. And that is wrong, and it should not be the banks' prerogative to deny people money simply because.
    I disagree. I think banks as private institutions should be free to lend to whom they choose.
    I disagree. I think banks as private institutions should be free to lend to whom they choose.
    i agree. they should also be able to hire who they think fit. all this you have to have an ethnic mix and someone disabled is bollox. you should employ who you see fit.

Id normally agree but I believe it is the role of the free market to protect the weak and defenceless, not screw them for every penny they have got. And as the free market doesnt seem able to do this, the Government has to take its place with legislation.
    Depression is just one type of mental illness. Of late I think there has been a move in society towards a more understanding state for those who suffer from depression.

However, there are more serious metal illnesses that will simply never be accepted in society and there will always be a stigma attached. Mental illness is often the subject of jokes and ridicule, because, like others have said, many people do not understand it.

If you do not understand something you often fear it, and people often joke about things they fear.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The 'stigma' attached to mental illness
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Because anybody who knew anything about mental illnesses and especially people who's life it has affected would never attach a stigma to something that is really just a part of life.

Why not?

How's about not calling somebody a 'loser' to start.

They are losers!!!! :lol:

And you are a clueless

troll.jpg

whose days here are counted if you insist on winding people up in this issue, despite repeated warnings.

Carry on boy, see how long you last. :lol:
    [B
    They are losers!!!! :lol: [/B]

you are an idiot.

we are usually normal, functioning members of society.

but we feel we have to hide our illnesses. why?

depression is one thing. but something like 1 in 4 people has depression, so it's 'ok' to admit to it. i'm mainly talking about other illnesses.

i don't write my conditions on job applications. when there is a 'do you have a mental impairment?' i always tick no. not because i'm ashamed, but because i don't want to be discriminated against as i have been in the past.

the only place where i'll admit to them is in my doctor's surgery.

someone meeting me on the street would have no idea anything is wrong with me. only my closest family and friends know.

Was there any need for that?
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Id normally agree but I believe it is the role of the free market to protect the weak and defenceless, not screw them for every penny they have got.
    That doesn't sound right. I thought it was the role of statutory rights bodies to protect the weak and defenceless, and anyone else suffering from the privations of the free market.
    Monocrat... you are so banned.
    See, patience is a virtue... :)

who are losers??????
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The 'stigma' attached to mental illness
    Originally posted by wee wuman
    who are losers??????

you'll not find out from him

but don't panic,

very few people who use this forum think that or are foolish enough to express it
    just thought i'd bump this back up...
    what did people think about the newspaper and media coverage of Frank Bruno?
    personnally I think it was completly disgusting and only adds further tot he stigma